xisto Community
jackkkk26

Blending Layers Using A Gradient?

I have a problem with an image that I have been working on for a while. I've tried my best to use the right terms, so hopefully someone can help me out.There is 2 layers, lets say "Layer "A" and "Layer B". Layer B is my background, a picture of a fence, and it fills the page. Layer A is at the front and is a picture of Hulk Hogan. I want to blend Layer A so that it appears to fade into Layer B, but I want it to fade as a gradient (linear). That is to say, I want Layer A to be opaque at the left side and Transparent at the right side.I am using Photoshop 8/CS and I am quite new to it, so please be specific in what menus to use etc. Any help appriciated.

This is relatively easy.Selecting your layer A of the Hulkster, press the layer mask button (second from the left at the bottom of your layer palette.)Next select your gradient tool. Press "D" to set your background/foreground colours to the default. Then "X" to reverse them.Now go to the gradient dropdown menu at the top, and make sure you have the first gradient selected, (will be white to black)Now just drag the gradient from left to right, and you will mask out the right side of the big guy. Should be a smooth transition.And that's about it. :)