xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
klo91

What Is The Hyphy Movement and other Bay Area Slang

Hyphy is a style of music and dance associated with Bay Area hip-hop culture. It is distinguished by gritty, pounding rhythms, and in this sense is closely related to crunk music. A person gets hyphy when they dance in an overstated way, similar to Los Angeles-style clowning. We people from the Bay call this Retarded", "Riding The Yellow Bus", "Stupid" or "Going Dumb". The Federation is the best known representative of the style, and their music video "Hyphy" received heavy rotation on MTV in late 2004.

Here are some slang words:

"18 Dummy" - Getting dumb by drinking Jose Cuervo 1800 Tequila, also known as "Dummy Juice." also, yellow (or "short") busses popularized by hyphy music (specifically Oakland artist Mistah F.A.B.) most commonly are equipped with 18 seats.

"Dummy Gone" - A mixture of Patron tequila and Hyphy Juice (a popular grape and green apple fusion energy drink which is highly popular in the Bay Area). The combination equates to a sense of euphoria from getting dumb and gone (as in inebriated), hence the name.

"Gas-brake dippin'" - Driving while quickly alternating between stomping on the gas and the brake. Also known as "Yokin'".

"Ghostride the whip" - Driver walks alongside slow-rolling car with the door open, giving the appearance that the car is driving itself. Passengers ride with all the doors open and sometimes leap out of the moving cars, sometimes sitting atop the hood.

"Giggin'" - Dancing wildly, goin hyphy.

"Going or getting dumb/stupid/ignorant/retarded/hyphy/yellow bus" - is the main concept, which means having a good time while ignoring society's negative opinion of "uncivilized" behavior.

"Scrapers" - Vintage four-door American sedans with whistling pipes, oversize spinning rims and a powerful stereo system. They hang low in the back and send off sparks when one is "gas-brake dippin".

"Thizz" - Street slang for Ecstasy pills, popularized by the late Andre "Mac Dre" Hicks. Thizz is also the name of Mac Dre's record label.

Stunting" - Turning donuts, figure eights and other car tricks. Allen Gordon, former editor of Rap Pages magazine, says, "If you can spell out your name in tire tracks in the street ? you're the man."

"Yadadameen/Yadadamsayin?" - A phrase popularized by Keak Da Sneak meaning "Do you know what I mean?" and "Do you know what I am saying?"

"Thizz Face" - Coined by Mac Dre to describe a "look on your face like you smell some piss". Originated from the face that one makes when putting an Ecstasy pill in one's mouth, due to the bitter taste. The term and facial expression have been appropriated to mean several other feelings and situations.

Thizzle Dance" - A dance associated with Mac Dre's song by the same name, the thizzle dance (thizz dance, thizzing, closely related to going dumb) involves wearing a strange facial expression and waving one's arms and legs in a bizarre or unusual-looking way. "Thizzing" is also associated with shaking one's dreadlocks, getting on the ground, or imitating animals.

Yay Area" - The Bay Area of California. Yay or yayo is slang for cocaine

Hope i enlightened all of you of the culture of my Bay Area. YADADADDADADADIMEAN?!

Well I have never heard of the Hyphy Movement until now. It sounds a lot like many rap songs and what not. All the slang words though make it like a gang like music. Sort of seems like it'll cause a bit of trouble though by promoting negative behaivor but I guess that is probably the point.

Hell yea thats the point, buts its actually is about getting everybody together no matter what your race is as one, and getting down as they say. Just having a fun time "feeling your self"

WELL I NEVER ACtUALLy KNEW WHAt HyPHy WAS BUt tHEN I StARtED GOiNG tO CLUBS DOWN iN PORtLAND OREGON WHERE I StAy At AND tHiS ONE CLUB tHAt I ALWAyS GO tO CALLED "MARDi GRAS" DOWN iN GRESHAM ON StARt ST. THERE iS LOtS OF BLACK PEOPLE tHAt GO tHERE...ONCE tHEy PLAyED tELL ME WHEN tO GO My FAV. SONG tHEy StARtED JUMPING DOiNG ALL tHESE tHiZZ FACE AM LiKE *** loL BUt ONCE I StARtED GOiNG AND MEEtiNG tALKiNG tO PEOPLE tHAt HyPHy DANCE I StARtED GEttiNG iNtO it I MEAN I LOVE it I SUPPORt tHE HyPHy GEEtiNG StUPiD AND REtARD StUFF CAUSE I ENJOy WAtCHiNG PEOPLE At tHE CLUB...AND SOMEtiMES GEttiNG STUPiD AND REtARtED My SELF I MEAN AM NOt BLACK BUt I'm LAtiNA AND I LOVE tHE HyPHy MOVEMENt StUFF ALOt WELL tHiS HELP ME CAUSE people DiDNt REALLy tELL ME WHAT tHE REAL MEANiNG WAS BUt AFtER I READ tHiS MiGHt tELL My FRiENDS tO GiVE it A tRy lolXOXONESSA-reply by MiSS.CRAZY

personally myself I think the hyphy movement is the best. I stay in north carolina. But originally born in san francisco CA. But raised in Richmond [yes I know tough neighborhood]. But I moved out here to the carolinas in 2003. And that was when the hyphy movement started comeing out so I would hold down parties here. And I did a certain party that the theme was hyph, where everyone came dressed up all hyphy and dance and talked theyre slang. I really thought it wasnt going to be a hit. But successfully its was a HUGE HIT! ever since the party alot of people started haveing parties similar. Basically what I'm trying to say is the carolinas most deff. Appriciate the whole hyphy scene! Yeeeeeee! repping for all my sucka free chulas holding it down in northern frisko!On mamaz! -reply by suckafree.

the hyphy movement is by far the best thing that could have ever been invented!!

it has spread rapidly and not in a bad way what so ever..

the hyphy movement is based on getting everyone in the party scene to unite and keep them partys drama free..

the hyphy movement introduced a whole new culture into the scene..

..From the dance, fashion style, hyphy drink, unity and pride towards the party lifestyle.

there are many other type of forms of organizations trying to porpatrate the hyphy movement and its dance being the most known...

but I highly doubt they will ever top the hyphy movement!!

-reply by adela a.K.A STiCKS

I see this was first posted in July 2006. I should do a quick google search to see if this Hyphy type of music is still around.... Yes, from what I can see, it's still used to describe a type ofBay area music. Weren' the first hippies from San fransisco?I guess they don't have much to do with Hyphy music. Maybe one dayPhyschedelic hippie music and Hyphy will merge to form an entirely new kindof music. You can't rule anthing out.

Weird. Not too long ago we had a discusion about replying to old topics. Being the sort that doesn't get far from home, I wanted to read about this "new" movement, and since it was the second post on the list, you would think it would be a fairly recent one. But here it is from 2006! It sure is easy to reply to old topics when they are so high up on the current topic page. So, by now has this movement faded away and died to be replaced with some new weird movement, or is it still going on?