xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
burnego

Do You Like Water? - youd better like it

Looking at water, you might think that it's the most simple thing around. Pure water is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. But it's not at all simple and plain and it is vital for all life on Earth. Where there is water there is life, and where water is scarce, life has to struggle or just "throw in the towel."

Pure water has a neutral pH of 7, which is neither acidic nor basic.

The water in you

Think of what you need to survive, really just survive. Food? Water? Air? MTV? Naturally, I'm going to concentrate on water here. Water is of major importance to all living things; in some organisms, up to 90 percent of their body weight comes from water. Up to 60 percent of the human body is water, the brain is composed of 70 percent water, and the lungs are nearly 90 percent water. About 83 percent of our blood is water, which helps digest our food, transport waste, and control body temperature. Each day humans must replace 2.4 litres of water, some through drinking and the rest taken by the body from the foods eaten.

There just wouldn't be any you, me, or Fido the dog without the existence of an ample liquid water supply on Earth. The unique qualities and properties of water are what make it so important and basic to life. The cells in our bodies are full of water. The excellent ability of water to dissolve so many substances allows our cells to use valuable nutrients, minerals, and chemicals in biological processes.

Water's "stickiness" (from surface tension) plays a part in our body's ability to transport these materials all through ourselves. The carbohydrates and proteins that our bodies use as food are metabolized and transported by water in the bloodstream. No less important is the ability of water to transport waste material out of our bodies.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Copied from here and paraphrased beginning from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You know although water is just water I think botteled waters taste different from each other. Like I drink Zephyrhills Spring Water and when I drink Aquafina or Dausani it tastes different like it has something else in it. Of course I like water and of course I drink it all the time. Although I think sometimes I'll drink soda all day and get dehydrated and I realize I haven't had enough water. I sort of wonder though if bottling companies put in some extra stabilizer or something that makes the water taste different.

Yes, we do need water to stay alive, but don't forget that (like most things..) too much of it is not good for you :) It's possible that an overdose of water will lead you into coma and then maybe to death. Normally the cells in your body maintain a concentration gradient. There's a balance of sodium and water, and breaking that balance will cause problems. When taking in too much water, there will be relatively little sodium left. Because of that, the water outside of the cell will rush into the cell, I believe. And that action will cause the cell to swell, which leads to tissue damage, your brain cells will be pressured, and the latter is very dangerous.

(The opposite is true aswell, when you take in too much sodium (salt) when you are offered peanuts in a bar for example, this will make your body need more water to maintain the balance, and so thirst will be triggered. This will result in you ordering more drinks :P )

* There is the same amount of water on Earth as there was when the Earth was formed. The water from your faucet could contain molecules that dinosaurs drank. * Water is composed of two elements, Hydrogen and Oxygen. 2 Hydrogen + 1 Oxygen = H2O.
* Nearly 97% of the worlds water is salty or otherwise undrinkable. Another 2% is locked in ice caps and glaciers. That leaves just 1% for all of humanitys needs all its agricultural, residential, manufacturing, community, and personal needs.
* Water regulates the Earths temperature. It also regulates the temperature of the human body, carries nutrients and oxygen to cells, cushions joints, protects organs and tissues, and removes wastes.
* 75% of the human brain is water and 75% of a living tree is water.
* A person can live about a month without food, but only about a week without water.
* Water is part of a deeply interconnected system. What we pour on the ground ends up in our water, and what we spew into the sky ends up inour water.
* The average total home water use for each person in the U.S. is about 50 gallons a day.
* The average cost for water supplied to a home in the U.S. is about $2.00 for 1,000 gallons, which equals about 5 gallons for a penny.
* Water expands by 9% when it freezes. Frozen water (ice) is lighter than water, which is why ice floats in water.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:

I have no particular reason to hate water. It tastes good, is refreshing, can be used to clean things... A whole myriad of uses. The only annoying thing is that the water where I live is full of chalk so sometimes tastes a bit weird and looks cloudy, but usually it's OK.

By the way burnego, copying from the USGS will not help your hosting application. Copied from Here and Here.

If im not mistaken water is the only liquid that can be used to drink or clean things with... or drink first then clean i mean you dont wash your face with sprite do ya...

After a good night on my bike i always come home and drink about 3 glasses of pure tap water. It cant get any better than that. (Mayby some lemon lol)I dont fancy bottled water, why pay for something you can get from taps?

(The opposite is true aswell, when you take in too much sodium (salt) when you are offered peanuts in a bar for example, this will make your body need more water to maintain the balance, and so thirst will be triggered. This will result in you ordering more drinks )

Hmm... You say that drinking water cancels the effects of eating salty foods, and vise-versa? Then that should mean that drinking mildly salty water is actually better for you that drinking pure water.
Anyway, I love water, whether it be bottled, rain, sea or chlorinated water. (Not so much chlorinated, makes my eyes sting).

there isalot more to water than you people think! it's sensual,refreshingand everything else!lying in a bath of water can calm down even the biggest :) tempers!

You know although water is just water I think botteled waters taste different from each other. Like I drink Zephyrhills Spring Water and when I drink Aquafina or Dausani it tastes different like it has something else in it. Of course I like water and of course I drink it all the time. Although I think sometimes I'll drink soda all day and get dehydrated and I realize I haven't had enough water. I sort of wonder though if bottling companies put in some extra stabilizer or something that makes the water taste different.

Different brands of bottled water DO taste different. I forget which one, it might be Aquafina, but I don't like it because it has this weird taste. I think mineral water is a little salty, and I don't like that.

I love water. Sometimes I would prefer to have something with more taste, but if I need something refreshing after being outside or whatever, cool water is the best =)

i love water it makes me feel so refreshed. but i love milk wayyy better i actually drink way more milk than I do water. Its like a childhood thing but if im thirsty i reach for the milk instead of the water =_=; hahahaha im probably not getting enough of it now

Well, first off i think that everyone here knows that you and everything else in the world needs water to life and survive. I would imagine that most people here are at least around 12. But anyway, yes water is very important to your own life, but your friends, and the world's survival. Without it we would all die. Also, i have noticed it too that different brands of bottled water taste differently depending on the brand. Like if you try one brand then go to a different one you can notice a little difference in the taste of the water. I think that they put some kind of "something" in the water. But i dont know.

I dont really drink much water. I just dont like to drink it unless I am thirsty. I do like drinkin lemone or any other type of flavored waters. I prefer a juice over a soda anytime. I just dont know were I get my water from. I know that what I do is bad because when you are thirsty its already too late and your body is dehydrating.

I don't drink very much water... And I am a sissy when it comes to oceans and stuff (no way I'm letting a shark or Loch Ness Monster eat me, screw that dude!), so I was too chicken to finish my swimming lessons. So, no, I can't say that I really like water all that much. :D I think I must have drowned in a previous life... stupid water. :lol: Just the thought of dark water scares the crap out of me. Water = Scary ^_^

Edited by Erin (see edit history)

water is life ,do we need to say anything ,it's the only thing you never get bored of drinking ,by the way did anyone heard that an invention is done where cars will run on waterhere's a sort of theory its like water=H20 the car will have a system that will make h2 and o different ,h2 is hydrogen enrgy which will be used to run car while the car will remove o+o = o2 just think about it, a car that brings out oxygen