xisto Community
rejected

Long Distance Relationships how to keep them going?

My girlfriend, D, is moving. She's going to be moving to a small town around two hours away, and we'll be meeting up on the weekends. This is going to be rough on our relationship, I can already tell, but I know we can get through this. I'm seeking advice and some tips on how to keep long distance relationships good. We both have school during the weekdays. What can I do to keep the relationship good? I can see how seeing each other once a week can cause a lot of stress and tension in our relationship, but there have to be good ways to prevent it? We'll be talking to each other via phone or computer every day, and we're both great communicators and explain how we're feeling without problems. That should help a lot as to not getting in fights.. but what else can we do?

My girlfriend, D, is moving. She's going to be moving to a small town around two hours away, and we'll be meeting up on the weekends. This is going to be rough on our relationship, I can already tell, but I know we can get through this. I'm seeking advice and some tips on how to keep long distance relationships good. We both have school during the weekdays. What can I do to keep the relationship good? I can see how seeing each other once a week can cause a lot of stress and tension in our relationship, but there have to be good ways to prevent it? We'll be talking to each other via phone or computer every day, and we're both great communicators and explain how we're feeling without problems. That should help a lot as to not getting in fights.. but what else can we do?

MAn there is nothing wrong with long distance relationships. I am sure you both trust each other..right.. so now its the time to show it and practice it. A long distance relationship can actually take the relationship to a whole new level. Remember...theres always a phone/texting/email and stuff. Enough to keep in touch. And its just 2 hrs away..big deal...get over it..lets see what else...o yea ..and on weeekends when yall do get together makesure u always have somthing nice planned..dinner, putt putt haha doesnt matter

I have been and still im in a long distance relationship next month will b a year.The key to a happy long distance relationship is TRUST.U going to have to trust your girlfriend now more then ever and shes going to have to do the same.I suggest you two chat on a site everyday for as long as you two can a day.Like that you two wount loose that love you two have for each other.

when i was a freshie in college, a classmate of mine asked me a poll if i prefer a long distance relationship or not, and if i did, how long would i last in a relationship of that setting. i said yes, and i said i could last about a year. true it's very difficult, but since i haven't been into that kind of relationship before, i really don't know if one year is the true answer for that.i have read a blog on the internet where the owner is currently having a long distance relationship with her boyfriend. she's in canada and her boyfriend is in the philippines. if i'm not mistaken, it's already more than a year now since she left the philippines since they migrated to canada already. and they're still going steady. i have read some of her post which she said that they are constantly communicating. she did emphasize that she misses her boyfriend, and that the setting is really difficult, since they don't see each other. she hopes that she could finish her studies and work already so she could come back to visit her boyfriend.i think the entire point of having a long-distance relationship and how to keep it up and going is by having constant communication. it could be calling each other once in a while, emailing, writing snail mail and all. just for you to keep in touch. true, there's that longing for the tangible stuff and that you want to see them more and more. but at least you get to see her like everyweek, compared to the example that i just gave that they are miles apart, that they can't see each other for like a very long time. you're still lucky that the geographical boundary between you two is not that big. and seeing each other once a week is not that bad. at least you would always have that longingness to see each other and keep the fire burning, so that you'll always be glad to see each other once you meet up during weekend.

If it ends up being that big of a problem you could just pack up and move closer, or even just drive to her place and spend a few days.

He said the magic sentence. Just pack up and spend a few days. I know thats what one of my friend does. And his relationship is going strong.

Lond distance relationships hardly work! ionly know of one couple that were in a long distance relationship that ended up getting married! They just don't nmormaly work!!! :)

Lond distance relationships hardly work! ionly know of one couple that were in a long distance relationship that ended up getting married! They just don't nmormaly work!!! :)

I differ to agree.My fiance and I have had a long distance relationship for a year and we still love each other,We did have and still do have our arguements it wasn't easy but you can have a proper distance relationship.

Like I said on my previsious post the main key is TRUST,If you don't have trust then prepare yourself for alot of fighting.You need to trust your girlfriend or atleast try and she's got to do the same in order for your relationship to stay intacted.

Now, you are going to face many challeges the main one being CHEATING.You going to find yourself asking yourself "is she cheating on me?" many times,but like I said If you got trust you'll do find.Best of luck!

Advise posred by me,The relationship shrink (chatz)

Edited by Chatz (see edit history)

I have experience in this... My girlfriend lived about 45km far from me... It is very stressful sometimes, I was always thinking that she is cheating on me, and stuff like that... I was killing my brain, with stuff like that... And 2 weeks after my move to another town, we broke up! It was imposibile to make a good relationship with someone that far away!!!!!

I feel your pain man, same thing just happened to me within the last 2 days. She is fighting to keep her daughter, so all guys take a back see seat, including me her boyfriend, and now her ex-boyfriend, i got the whole lets only be friends thing. However she is 2 n half hours away and i cant help but think whats going on. I do love her still, thats what you have to remember.

You may very well find my response completely unacceptable, but it might of interest to someone out there. I don't believe young people should focus on romantic relationships, period. I was lucky in as much I attended strict Catholic schools where that sort of thing was rightly discouraged, thank God. Yes, I know it's portrayed as the "thing to do" on TV and other hypnotic mediums that would see you enslaved the rest of your life, but it will keep you down and potentially hinder your chances of success in life. Right now, you have no (I hope) kids or major responsibilities, and your parents are probably footing the bill. Many people find this time of life is the only chance they have to get a college education, and maybe participate in world travel. Now is the time to learn and prepare for life, not tie yourself down with a "girlfriend." What you do now sets the precedent for the rest of your life.

The way i see your thoughts Misanthrope are in good light, however, the times are changing, it is now the thing that they do, it would need another change back the other way to change the next generation. It's like the TVs getting bigger, Fast Food more popular, longer working hours, working from home, sex/relationship at young age and getting younger. We keep inventing things that make it easier to have safe sex or ways out if something goes wrong at unsafe sex and new ways other then intercourse are becoming more popular, drinking age is down, therefore people are just getting invovled. IT's just the world changing and maybe for the worse or better, who knows?

As long as you're seeing each other on weekends, it should be okay. That's how often I see my girlfriend, since we both work and she has school [which is 20-30 minutes away, she lives in a dorm].Any more than two weeks at a time is where you start to get problems, I think.

The relationship could work as long as you want as it all depends on the people who are in it,long distance relationship easily work for mature relationships which have trust and understanding for each other as it all depends on the person involved in the relationship and not any statistics,in your question you have not told that how long you have been in a relationship,bcoz if it is bigger in time that you were in relationship than it is easy for you to maintain the relationship ,but yet again there is a limit that how long could you carry it,may be for a yeare it is possible but as long as you people continue more and more there is a possibility that it might strain as there wont be much connection except wekends,but yet it could also positively affect your relationship like you both would be very excited for the wekends you people meet,because as you have remained far so far,it would help you connect more as you meet,,but as i said it all depends on the people involved and how they take the particular relationships. Yo improve your relationship ,stay in touch on messenger ,on phone and keep meetig all weekends no matter what,try to make more precious moments from the time available ,keep loving each other and if you are grown enough ,why not move together or you might also when you go to university ,make sure you both move to the same university and try to get cinnected as more as possiblegive her surprises like visitng her sometime in a weekday,girls love surprises and they really love it . so keep doing it and make your relationship as live and happening as possible :lol:

There is only so much a person can do, you have to fully trust that the other person won't cheat or go in another direction when tempted. Although, if they do, you must think, Is it for the best? I don't know if i'd be able to handle seeing my girlfriend once a weekend, even if it was the whole weekend. I think its a case by case basis as to weather you and her can keep it going. I say good luck to all those who are in long distance relationships.