xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
frazmi

Confirm Process Of Dns Change Making sure I can host pre-existing domain w/o changing registrar

I think I understand the process, but as I'm managing an organization's account I don't want to make any stupid mistakes.I have a domain, say mydomain.org, hosted on 1&1. I want to transfer hosting (web content) to Xisto - Web Hosting.com (paid plan). The current domain registrar is 1&1, but I don't want to transfer the domain registration just yet. (I will change registrar when current registrar contract expires. No sense paying twice!)I assume the detailed process I should use is as follows:1) Purchase web hosting space sufficient for the site. I assume I will receive some kind of URL to access the space, perhaps something like myname.computinghost.com.2) Using FrontPage 2003 (my web design SW), create "new web site" on my local machine. (It's not a real web site that anyone could access, of course, just a pointer to myname.computinghost.com.)3) Make some slight change to the web site (so that I can distinguish the "old" from the "new" version). Publish the slightly changed web site content to the "new web site."4) Test the newly-published site (pointing my browser to myname.computinghost.com). At this point the site is "live" at both 1&1 and Xisto - Web Hosting, but a user typing http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ will be sent by DNS to the 1&1 site.5) Log in to 1&1, select Domain Management, sub-select DNS management. Change primary and secondary nameservers to Xisto - Web Hosting.com's nameservers.6) Wait for nameserver change to take effect. 7) Test newly-published site (pointing my browser to mydomain.org). Given the perverse nature of web publishing, some links will be broken, thus...8) In FP2003, edit "new web site" settings to point to mydomain.org. Recalculate all Hyperlinks. Publish again.9) Test site. All should be well, at least insofar as the DNS transfer has anything to do with things.Anything wrong with this scenario?

The process is valid and will work. But here is an alternative.

Register with your domain name directly. Do not make nameserver changes to your domain yet. Get the settings.

You can access your site by http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You can test your site there directly. And once the work is complete, just change the nameserver settings.

Everything will be online.

It doesen't even have to be that hard :)Here's how I did it.I had my site hosted, with my ISP at the time.I Got fed up with current host. :PI Bought my Xisto - Web Hosting accountI left my current hosting in place! Don't cancel, until 3 days after you switch :PI Changed domain NS'es to NS1.COMPUTINGHOST.COM / NS2.COMPUTINGHOST.COM (After my hosting account was set up)No one ever even noticed, that the switch happened. I was able to tell, however, by the IP address of my site. (Well, my clients noticed, at least, they noticed, that all of the sudden, the site was stable, and mail worked... lol)Once I was satisfied that the change had gone through, I cancelled off my previous host.Seamless, and transparent.... no muss, no fuss :P (and I didn't have to edit one page, at all :P )