xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ink

Illustrating Shiny Lips - A Step-by-step Tutorial

I made this tutorial exclusively for Xisto.com, so please don't post it anywhere else ;)

You *can* do this in Photoshop, but I personally used Portalgraphic's Open Canvas to draw it. I used many steps but I took screenshots of the most important ones.

I hope my English is understandable, I'm sometimes not absolutely sure how to call certain things, like 'wrinkles/folds' in the lip.

One doesn't really need advanced skills, but it's easier when you know the basic things like choosing a brush, changing the opacity and size and such. I hope you enjoy :D

Step 1~ Choose a skin color and sketch the outline of the lips, draw a nice overall shape, it doesn't need clean lines yet.

Posted Image

Step 2~ Start filling in the upper lip. The upper lip always has a slightly darker shade than the bottom lip. I used the airbrush tool for this.

Posted Image

Step 3~ Pick a darker color and add some shadow to the upper lip.

Posted Image

Step 4~ Also choose a lighter pink to make the upper lip a bit more colorful.

Posted Image

Step 5~ Pick a different color and fill in the bottom lip.

Posted Image

Step 6~ Add shadow to the bottom lip.

Posted Image

Step 7~ I added a blurry white line, again with the airbrush tool, on the border of the lip and the skin. Grab a dark brown color and draw a dark line *between* the lips.

Posted Image

Step 8~ Goood! :)

Posted Image

Step 9~ On to the shine, keep using the airbrush, and pick a soft pink *or* a white-ish color with a lower opacity and draw short fat stripes on both part of the lips.

Posted Image

Step 10~ Keep going and slap a big light spot on the bottom lip in the meantime as well :P

Posted Image

Step 11~ Lower the size of your airbrush, or you may choose a harder brush, and draw even lighter 'wrinkles' on the lips, these are the highlights.

Posted Image

Step 12~ Great, now grab a dark brown-ish color again and draw 'deeper' darker wrinkles.

Posted Image

Step 13~ I wanted some more color, so I chose the pink again and added a bit more 'shape' on top of the lips.

Posted Image

Step 14~ Defined the bottom of the lower lip a bit better...

Posted Image

Step 15~ And added some thicker white highlights on the right side of the upper lip and another white stripe on the left of the upper lip, to make the skin shine.

Posted Image

Step 16~ I'm not sure if I like the sparkles, but hey..I had to add some sort of final touch :D This is our end result :)

Posted Image

Good luck with drawing your own pair of lips and let me know if you have any questions or comments :( Thank you for viewing! :o

Do you use a mouse for your art? If not what kind of equipment do you use?Your art is very good. 20 years ago, I never would have thought people would be drawing on their computer, now your kinda a old timmer if you don't. :) Great job.

WOW! awesome tutorial the lips looks very nice and realistic :).. you shold make some more such type tutorials for people who need such things :P... agan good job :P

Wow that open canvas program looks really cool. Im wanting to get a wacom graphic pen now, I guess Ill have to start saving since they are sort of expensive.