xisto Community
neuspadrin

Aol's Software

Ok, so I run into having to use AOL 9.0 or whatever version they are up to nowadays from time to time. I help old ladies and such with their computer problems within some nearby neighborhoods, which is great money to me, just because I'm considered so much cheaper then geeksquad :D For a kid this is great income, i beat most my friends there :).Anyways, every time I work on a system using AOL, im ready to just... throw the thing out of the window. It has to be the most retarded piece of software out there. One thing that astonished me the most was this: THEY PUT ADVERTISEMENTS IN SOFTWARE YOU PAY FOR. The lady was complaining about ads while she was doing email, but you see, its embeded into the programs view. However, if you open up a browser (firefox :P) and go to the webbased mailbox, no ads at all... So why are they paying to view their email in ad filled software? and pay for something that is almost impossible to suscribe from? (im sure many of you have heard of those stories spreading around online) I mean, I cant see a single plus in using AOL. Other internet providers are cheaper for better service, you can find a wayyyy better browser for free (firefox) better email from other places (gmail, yahoo) and way better antivirus software, free even (avg, etc)

I agree with you. I find it unfair that we get ads in such a software. Also, although I am very good at configuring software, I find AOL an absolute NIGHTMARE whenever it stops working!Little known fact: AOL isn't even classed as a Web Browser! This is primarily because AOL is actually just the ISP, but also because the software is not actually any kind of program. In fact, the whole Internet [Web] options tool is directly copied from IE. AOL is merely a clever spin on Internet Explorer which uses multiple web pages to make it LOOK like it is its own browser.These are just some of the many reasons why AOL sucks and we all know it!Check my signature for a better browser.

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

Yeh I was aware of the fact AOL just rips off the rendering engine of other browsers. I love firefox personally, but its just... these old ladies and tons of other people get so used to this program they rely on it and see it as the only way there is really. I mean, to someone smart enough to start learning beyond how to check their email, they begin to see what a horrible piece of software AOL is. Usually while I'm over there helping them with whatever problem, I kinda can get a feeling of weither or not they can handle a browser change or not. I see everything from people who would freak out if the little AOL icon disapeared, to people who understand when I say to use a different program, that has the same basic features only works better. If i feel they can handle the switch, I go ahead and download for them :).

Usually while I'm over there helping them with whatever problem, I kinda can get a feeling of weither or not they can handle a browser change or not. I see everything from people who would freak out if the little AOL icon disapeared, to people who understand when I say to use a different program, that has the same basic features only works better. If i feel they can handle the switch, I go ahead and download for them :) .

I completely understand what you are saying there. I have had that kind of expirience myself, seeing as how I've tried to get many people onto Firefox.

To be honest, it was by analysing myself and finding out if I would be able to handle a browser change that was the reason I went to Firefox from IE. Also, I have to say the XP computer we share (there are two computers in our home) has had AOL from the moment we got it, so I think it will feel wierd when we finally get rid of it (as we plan to do).

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)