xisto Community
dundun2007

Ps3's Price Tag! Will it drive customers away?

So the release date for the ps3 is drawing closer and we are now started to more and more details. We have seen the latest pictures and specs. There is even a small list of games that are already released to come out. The real question is though are you willing to spend $600 on a gaming system? I am sure there are a bunch of playstation fans out there that dont really care about what the price is but what do the other people think about it?I may as well add that the playstation 3 will have some of the best graphics and processor out for the time being. Although with the new blue ray technology on the disk it has made things even more expensive. Now they have to raise the price of the games to up around $80 each. Now it might just be me but i was complaining about the $50 games when the ps2 and xbox/360 came out. I do agree with the others this system is probably going to be a well made system, i have no doubts there. But how many people are actually willing to spend that much money on a gaming console? There is also a feud between microsoft and sony because they are trying to release very popular items on the sameday. Sony is releasing the ps3 and microsoft will be releasing halo 3. Do you think this factor will also hurt sony's sales? Its pretty obvious it would a little bit, but who knows halo is never released on time so maybe it wont even come out the sameday.

I am just going to stick with my Playstation 2, because eventually the PS3 will grow old as the PS2 already has. I think it still gives me enough entertainment mixed with the television and the computer. If anything I would put the money towards upgrading my computer for even more entertainment because my computer will provide me with alot more than the PS3 even though it is like a computer.

I think the price tag will drive away your avarage casual gamer who only plays mabe two hours per week, I think that in the end microsoft wont get halo out on the same day as the ps3 launch because it still isnt finished, the demo hasnt been released even though most demos are coming out months before their release eg. test drive.

Honestly i think Sony could put any price on it and they would still sell like crazy. I mean me personally i would buy it no matter wat the price is going to be. even if it was like a 900$. And even if it was, The mere price of it would get so much publicity that sony would still make a huge profit. As for the games its a totally different story cause not every one is willing to pay and extra 30 bucks just for some crappy game that take a week to beat. All i know is that im gonna save up so once PS3 comes out around November i can get it the first day!

Cyberreaper do you realy think that a gamer who only occasionaly goes on their console would realy pay $700 for a console when the 360 is $400, somehow i don't think so, you might pay for it but your average casual gamer would never pay that price and the majority of gamers are fairly casual so i think that the ps3 will not do even half as well as you are suggesting. Right now anyone who has pre ordered or like you are going to buy it on the first day are only speculating thtat it will live up to its "super console" reputation, in my opinion it will be no better or even worse than the xbox 360, right now the screen shots look the same quality as the xbox 360s and magazines are saying ithe games will be pritty much identcal because developers wont use the ps3s full power. Also have you noticed thay sony have been losing the exclusive titles perticuly grand theft auto which will be on the xbox 360 aswell, i think this tells you something about what the developers are thinking about, i think they think the ps3 alone wont be able to sell the volume of games needed to make it profitable so they are letting the 360 have the previousily exclusive titles. It has always been that Playstation = Grand theft autoXbox = Halonow however it isPlaystation = grand theft autoxbox = halo + grand theft auto

Bkag, believe me, they do sell for a lot of $$$. Just watch ebay around those times. The people who didnt prebuy one, and want one for christmas are rich and they can pay as much as 3 times the price of the system. I remember last year, some xbox 360?s were selling for around 1k - 1.2k dollars.

I will buy the ps3 reguardless of the price, unless its over $1000. Yes it is a bit harsh, but I think its going to be way better than the 360. I mean, have you tried playing Halo 1 on the 360? laggy as hell. PS3 will eliminate lag on older games too.

Never played a 360 except at stores. And I don't notice anything. I'm going to get one though before Halo 3 comes out. But the PS3 would be nice like I said. Fun and all that. And maybe we won't have trouble with the controllers like we are now. Our PS2 controllers are crap now. I hope the PS3's controllers are A LOT better and last longer.

Yeah, none of my ps2 controllers seemed to last more than 3 months. I go through so many of those things. I hope the ps3 controller is more durable. And im glad they got rid of the boomerang controller!!

Bkag, believe me, they do sell for a lot of $$$. Just watch ebay around those times. The people who didnt prebuy one, and want one for christmas are rich and they can pay as much as 3 times the price of the system. I remember last year, some xbox 360´s were selling for around 1k - 1.2k dollars.

I know that they are selling on ebay for three and four figure prices, and i didn't say they wouldent, but ill bet you every ps3 on there going for a ridiculous price will be going to a hard core gamer, no casual gamer, which is the majority of the market, would be paying that much.

From what I've seen, the E3 gameplay demos and such, I can see no reason to go with a PS3, the graphics and gameplay are about the same as the 360, definatly not up to the expectations everyone has. The rendered videos were awesome, but in-game graphics aren't so great.As for everyone talking about Blu-Ray, it is just Sony trying to push a new format on the public. Remember BetaMAX? it lost out to VHS. What happens when HD-DVD wins the format-wars? You will have payed extra for something useless for anything except games.... and how many games will use 50 gigs? there aren't evan many that use up a full DVD-9 disc. With Sony losing their exclusive game publishers, I can't see developers creating large games like that.

From what I've seen, the E3 gameplay demos and such, I can see no reason to go with a PS3, the graphics and gameplay are about the same as the 360, definatly not up to the expectations everyone has. The rendered videos were awesome, but in-game graphics aren't so great.
As for everyone talking about Blu-Ray, it is just Sony trying to push a new format on the public. Remember BetaMAX? it lost out to VHS. What happens when HD-DVD wins the format-wars? You will have payed extra for something useless for anything except games.... and how many games will use 50 gigs? there aren't evan many that use up a full DVD-9 disc. With Sony losing their exclusive game publishers, I can't see developers creating large games like that.

I completely agree, nthe blu ray format is just a gimmic like the power of the ps3, never will they use the full potential of either and with the high def format wars i think hddvd will easily be the better choice, blu-ray has no advantages except for extra storage but a hd format needs to hold hd footage which the hd dvd does do, a hd format doesnt need to have the capacity to hold 3 hd films. Hd dvd does what it says on the carton, it holds hd footage. So i think blu-ray will only be used for the ps3 and for a set of limited people who like the idea of having the best, even when it is not needed and blu-ray films will be special order of the net for $50 a pop.

Hey, just wanted to say that it's been announced that Halo 3 won't be launching when the PS3 does. It will launch sometime in 2007, but Gears of War will probably be launching around the same time as the PS3.As for the price point the 500 or 600 dollars you're going to have to spend is gonna be rough. But of course you get the Blu-Ray capability, which as a stand alone player right now is still 1000 easy.Anyway, I'll probably get the PS3 when we get a price drop on it. As for console launches I'm looking forward to the Nintendo Wii. Boo-yah to the new Mario and Zelda and Metroid!