xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arnz

School Cafeterias What food do you (or used) to get?

I remember back in my days of primary school & high school, when stuff at "tuckshop" as many of us students called it were pretty cheap. What did everyone else use to buy at the cafeteria?I may not have used the tuckshop regularly but when I did i use to buy.-small bag of frogs - 5c in a bag-100s and thousands (chocolates with sprinkles) - 10c HUGE bag.-Frozen fruit - 5c for a frozen fruit (lollie that is, not the actual fruit lol).-Licksticks - 30cents - ice block sticks that came in many flavours.-Drinks $1-Sausage Rolls/Pies $2 Those days were cheap, but due to natural CPI increases, etc.. they dont have things like that and/or arent cheap anymore :)

lol Well when I go to my high school and try to buy lunch it costs me $2.50 to buy a box of pizza. (Personal Pan Style) And then of course all the drinks cost a $1 each including soda, gatorades, or water bottles. You can buy those little packets of lemonade (regular or rasberry) to add to your water bottle for 25 cents. Then of course you have your chickens, salads, PB&J sandwiches and what not.

well my school food wasnt always all that good unfortunately and i dont know how well other cafeterias make their own food food but anyways every friday is pizza...at times i would go to the snack line n get a danish cheese, fruit snacks, twix or a donut...but i usually always get what they serve on the lunch line...alot of people dont like the schools food but for me i can tolerate it...its not really all that bad

You can't really eat what school cafeteria's offer anymore. My dad's friend is a Food Inspector, he goes around town inspecting restaraunts, stores, schools, etc. A lot of the schools in my area aren't very clean. Also, he said that he'd seen roaches in a few of the diners I would probably eat at on a Sunday afternoon or something. Pretty shocking when you finally find out about that stuff, but I guess it's better than never knowing.

They didn't sell fruit at mine ~_O it was mostly the unhealthy stuff containing meat. I remember I sometimes bought the cheeseburgers and in summer I used to buy icecream often :) I was very happy about that, since you can't bring it from home easily. I remember there was a McDonald's near school, it's probably still there, and then one of us would go there and buy chicken mcnuggets for us. Actually there was some sort of chicken piece offered by our school cafeteria aswell, we didn't want it however, we wanted our food to be from McDonald's :P such a silly, ridicously brand aware bunch of kids we were :D@hh89~ Yuck....@~@ thank you for notifying us about this! I'm glad that there are food inspectors out there, otherwise we'd never know anything about what we'd really be eating. My friend also told me that some local restaurants might be catching (or lhiring a special someone to catch) animals *on the streets*, like pigeons, slaughter them and then sell them under the title turkey burger or some expensive and delicate goose meatproduct :D That's sick, not only because they lie about the product you're eating, but also because pigeons, they seem so full of bacteria's o__o I see them to be eating cigarettes and other junk on the streets aswell.

@hh89~ Yuck....@~@ thank you for notifying us about this! I'm glad that there are food inspectors out there, otherwise we'd never know anything about what we'd really be eating. My friend also told me that some local restaurants might be catching (or lhiring a special someone to catch) animals *on the streets*, like pigeons, slaughter them and then sell them under the title turkey burger or some expensive and delicate goose meatproduct :) That's sick, not only because they lie about the product you're eating, but also because pigeons, they seem so full of bacteria's o__o I see them to be eating cigarettes and other junk on the streets aswell.

That's sick...also, a good friend of mine quit his job at KFC after actually witnessing a younger employee spit in takeout foods. I guess it's a good thing having friends that work at restaurants.
Edited by hh89 (see edit history)

Well since the New Zealand government and school are health freaks... lolThe fattiest thing possible is a pie, which has low chelestrol and fat than most other pies... We have a few different brands of chips. Some grainwaves, cornchips some of them again are low fat. The canteen 'ladies' refuse to cook food in the deep fat frier.

I would nomally get a pizza slice for $3.00. But is kind of a rip off becuase there is a pizza pizza down the road where they buy it from for half the price. So alot of people just go there instead.

Well, I usually take a lunch to school with me, or if i feel like it, I will go to mcdonalds or taco hell during lunch. But in the rare occasion that I do get a lunch from school, Its usually mini corn dogs, or nachos.

My school has 3 kinds of pizza (stuffed crust, rectangular, and circular) that are either plain or pepperoni. I usually get that unless there's something better. They also have really good french fries.

haha this is a cool idea for a topic. I always used to get a cheese burger, a neste lemon ice tee, and some funyions. It was all less then 5 bucks! Pretty good deal.