xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JField

10 Reasons Why People Don't Visit Your Web Site

1. You don't offer free original content. It's important to give your visitors information they can't find any-where else. If you're the only source for a certain type of information, people will flock to your web site.

2. You don't offer free software. Most people like to find good deals on software for their computers. If
the software is free, that is even better.

3. You don't offer a free contest or sweepstakes. It's a fact, people like to win things. If you can fulfill that
need, people will stop by to visit.

4. You don't offer a free directory. Create a directory of web sites on a particular topic that is related to your
target audience. People will visit because they will find what they're looking for, all in one place.

5. You don't offer a free e-zine. Most people love to get free information that they're interested in emailed
to them on a regular basis. This saves them time and money.

6. You don't offer a free community. People like to have a place were they can have discussions with
others on a particular subject. You could add a chat room or message board to your web site.

7. You don't offer a free affiliate program. One of people's basic needs to survive is money. When you
offer them a free opportunity to make money they'll line up to visit your web site.

8. You don't offer a free online utility. When you offer a utility that can solve a problem, people will visit your
web site. The utility could be a free autoresponder, e-mail account, search engine submission, etc.

9. You don't offer free current information. Supply news stories related to your web site. People want
up-to-date news on the topics they are interested in. They will also be interested in visiting your web site.

10. You don't offer free samples of your product or service. Have you ever been to a store and you
jumped at the chance to get a free sample of food? This same concept will also attract people to visit
your web site.

Notice from serverph:
thanks to Paul: COPIED CONTENT from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
added quote tags. apparently banned by an ADMIN already for continued violations of Xisto forum rules & TOS. :)

Well....this all is very true, i for one dont have truble with getting members so this doesnt appy to me. Ontop of that i dont see many forums that require money so this doesnt seem so importent, but thats just me. Ether or i give a thumbs up to the site this was ripped from.

Notice from serverph:
thanks to Paul: COPIED CONTENT from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/added quote tags. apparently banned by an ADMIN already for continued violations of Xisto forum rules & TOS. :)

I agree. But that's not all. You need to properly advertise your site. May be through friends or online traffic-boosters.(Can search them in a search engines)

I'm sure that your site would be booming if you offered all then of those, but sometimes they just don't "fit" in with your site.Not to mention that there is already a ton of sites offering those things.

I'm sure that your site would be booming if you offered all then of those, but sometimes they just don't "fit" in with your site.
Not to mention that there is already a ton of sites offering those things.

I totally agree... although, some of these sound like helpful tips. But if you offer free software or whatever, no one will know about without good advertising. THAT is the main thing you need to do in my opinion...

The reasons No. 1, 2 and 3 seems to be true ones. Offering stuff that no other site have its a good idea... now the problem is to make that stuff XDThe 4th reason just wont help you, it will show other sites and you will have more competition.. and i guess thats bad.But thanks for the tips, those are useful.

wow thats great and was really useful. Most of the points you've mentioned helped me to rectify my website and get more users.Thesw will be also useful for all the newbies in web designing, to keep users flowing into their site.

It's always best to advertise your site over the internet. But even though you copied everything above from another source, it's true for the most part. But the thing about contests and giving away things on your website got me. I don't see many sites do this anymore, except the well-known ones with popular forums, like this one.

I disagree with some of them. Not all sites are going to have contests and affliate programs. Personal sites most likely will not have that kind of stuff. However, I do agree with the first point - original content. People will not come to your site if you have the same content as everybody else.

This is a good document and I want to share my thoughts on it

I pretty much agree with some points with the exception of 2 and 3. On top of that, there can be other ways to make people visit your site.

2. You don't offer free software. Most people like to find good deals on software for their computers. Ifthe software is free, that is even better.

3. You don't offer a free contest or sweepstakes. It's a fact, people like to win things. If you can fulfill that
need, people will stop by to visit.

2. Current ongoing websites is hardly going to outmatch the database for free softwares of bigger sites such as download.com and sourceforge.net, this is not really a requirement for a visitor to visit the site.

3. In fact, many websites do not have provide such contests. It all depends on the kind of audience you are targetting. If they are teenagers, they are unlikely to bother much about these sort of things.

Finally something to add on. The appeal of the site is the most important in drawing visitors to it. If your site is going to be designed in plain html with tables and frames and no design whatsoever, people will be turned off. I am saying in the case of me, if the design is sleek and really user friendly, I would definitely want to explore it further. Things such as Ajax, CSS, dynamic content and even flash would certainly increase the appeal. But then again if the content in this site is lacking in substance, there are chances people would not even bother coming for the 2nd time.

For a successful website to have its base, you need to have a good appealing design as well as content with substance. I know many medical sites are the ones without much design, so that is why I do not bother to go there for the 2nd time unless I am looking for research documents. Other things such as frequent updates is crucial, if you update your site every few days or a week for that matter, people will always want to come. They want new content and what better way than to have frequent updates.

User interactivity would do the site good. Polls and comments would allow user to interact with the author in 1 way or another. And visitors would feel like they are actually getting involved instead of having to only read what the author of the site is trying to convey to his visitors.

The last thing which should (try to) never be on the site are ads. I personally feel disgusted about ads. They make revenue for you but it generally spoils the whole site. One of the reasons why I decided to use Xisto.com instead of Xisto.net was because there was no ads.

Feel free to share the other things which could affect people visiting your site.