xisto Community
MacFly

Metatags

I just did a meat tag analysis and it was awful!I hate to appear ignorant but I guess I don't know what I am doing! Can anyone tell me exactly how and in what order all my metatags should be and belisted...here is what the report said was missing:Found no robots meta tag.This tag is not really required but helps spiders to index the web page. Author: Found no author meta tag.This tag is not really required but helps for your (company) name recognizing. Found no description meta tag.The description meta tag is used by most of the search engines. Consider to add a description meta tag.

Do you think meta tags should be on all my pages in my site?  Or just my home page?  Thanks!

70378[/snapback]

I put mine on all my pages just in case, but like someone said above, search engine spiders nowadays don't care for meta tags anymore

don't know much the meta spider but with regaurds of putting it on every page its over doing it unless your website is specific about something in general especially if you running a online store and all that good stuff.

don't know much the meta spider but with regaurds of putting it on every page its over doing it unless your website is specific about something in general especially if you running a online store and all that good stuff.

70404[/snapback]

Specific about something in general is a contradiction in terms. :(

But if you have an online store, it is a good idea to have a different meta description for each product because general terms won't cover everything and meta keywords are largely overlooked. The meta description is still quite important. On your home page it should describe the site in general, but on other pages it should give more specific info about the content on those pages.

you are too late now a days search engines don't give much preference for the meta tags, so you better go to google and give these key words

1) Search engine optimization

2) Search engine Key generator

31815[/snapback]

You are right, nowadays, search engines know that they can be misled by unscrupulous webmasters who can insert unrelated metatags even without relevant content in their pages. SO they do the best thing possible under the circumstances - ignore the metatags and concentrate on the page title and page content.

If you really want to have good serch listing, concentrate on good content and change the page title accordingly... it goes a long way.

Have you noticed that the titles of Xisto forum keep on changing as you go from one page to another? That makes it more searchable by search engines.

They are called Dynamic Page Titles and are very helpful as far as search engine listing is concerned...

Good topic! I have meta tags on all my pages, just because I use a template when I make them. And the meta tags are in the templateWhat is the point of the robot meta tag? And what is the syntax? This is one meta tag I don't have on my site.Sunkist

Just don't overdo the tags! And be sure to validate your site's tags before you stick them in!

What is the robot meta tag all about?  Does anybody know?

It's only really needed on pages you don't want search engines to index (no index,no follow) cos the default (index,follow) is for them to index to your pages.