xisto Community
tezza

How To Reset Your Bios (guide)

There are 2 ways you can reset your bios. 1. On the motherboard there is a small watch battery. Remove this battery along with the power cable from the power supply. Hold down the power button to fully discharge the system. Wait 2-3 minutes then reinstall the battery and plug in your system. Your reset is now complete 2. Some motherboards have a 3 pin jumper by the battery. Lets say that the jumper is on pins 2 and 3. Remove the jumper while the machine is OFF and place onto pins 1 and 2. Power on your machine for a minute. (Note: Your system will not POST). Shutdown your machine and put the jumper back to pins 2 and 3. Your reset is now complete This is a great troubleshooting step for those of you having POST issues or no POSTing at all. Like other troubleshooting steps, this will not always work but usually will depending on the problem.

This would probably make more sense to the novices amongst us if you explained why you would need to reset your bios. Some of the younger members may not have the first clue what you are on about.

Edited by Mjay06 (see edit history)

Normally after a bios upgrade you have to load bios settings with defaults.Because some things maybe added in the newer version.And they use bytes that were not in use in the previous version, so the setting can be anything.Another reason is that you might have setup something that wasn't right (like CPU speed).Then you have to clear the entire bios (like described here) because else the computer won't startup.So in normal use of a computer you don't need to clear the bios, this is only when your computer doen't boot due to incorrect settings od CPU (or memory) or a BIOS upgrade.But I thinks it's better to read the manual of your mainboard, because the procedure is not always the same.

Thank you so much guys, You saved my life.. Yesterday I over clocked my machine too much and it wouldn't boot and I couldn't see where I could reset my bios. But after reading this guide, it was up.Thank You!

It is not neccesary to power your system on and off. Removing the battery for the CMOS ( complimentary metal oxide semiconductor ) will reset the BIOS (Basic input/output system) to default settings. There might also be an option within the BIOS to "Load Defaults" if that is all you are looking to do. You can also check your manual to see if you can locate a BIOS reset jumper on your motherboard.-EchoTechsys

Reseting BIOS

According to the instructions from Tezza I did reset the BIOS by removing the battery and put it back together and it worked but it came back with instructions asking to set time I just clicked on continue to reset and it didn't set the time and the calender I had to do it manually will this affect it in a long run? Or should I have to reset it and set the time and the date through the BIOS?

By the way the computer runs perfectly at the moment.

Ta!

Reset BIOS

I recently had the same problem where the USB keyboard suddenly wasn't detected anymore after working well for more than a year since I bought the PC.

Removing the battery from the motherboard worked fine to reset the BIOS.

Even after the BIOS was reset USB legacy support was still enabled though.

Don't know what went wrong in the first place, but everything is working fine again now.

Thanx for the help!

-reply by Boenjan

Reset BIOS Password OF Comapq Persario 2800

Guys...

I hv a Compact Persario 2800 laptop and I hv forgot the power on password...What shall I do...Please help me...

Ronak

-question by Ronak

Ronak, Your best bet is to contact Compaq support to help you out with your problem as they will provide better support since I doubt anyone has the same computer as you on this forum.

Beep sound before bootingHow To Reset Your Bios (guide)

My Microsoft xp laptop makes one beep sound whenever it wants to beep boot and I have to enter my password before it can continue booting, does anyone know what I can do to eliminate the beeping sound?

Your suggestion will be appreciated!

-reply by Theo

I don't know much about computers but this thread helped me immensely.  I was installing a wireless keyboard and mouse to my gm5407e and my computer just kept resetting itself...Then it just stopped working all together...No signal to the monitor.  I had no clue what the problem was.  After reading several threads and ordering a new and seperate video card...I happened upon this thread...So I took out the little bios battery and I at least got my signal back to the monitor again...Now it's running a 'startup  repair' I'm not sure if my problem is completely solved, guess I'll know in an hour or so. Thanks for the help!

Try booting to "Setup" go to Security in the selections and you should have access to disabling the password on boot requirement

Hope this helps

Best Regards, Mike

How to Get into BIOSHow To Reset Your Bios (guide)

I'm pretty sure I need to reset my BIOs. I installed Ubuntu on my other machine and then wanted to reinstall windows. It wouldn't install and I read on some forum somewhere to start reinstalling Ubuntu and stop it just before the install, but after it had wiped the system. That worked and I got windows back on, but now the machine doesn't recognize the modem. I ran all the diagnostics and determined I've probably messed up the BIOs, but now I can't figure out how to reset the BIOs. I took the case off and looked isnide. It's pretty crowded  in there and I can't see any little watch battery or a jumper cable near the battery (actually I'm not sure where the battery is) If I knew how to get into the BIOs maybe I could reset it to default, but I'm not sure how to do that either. I do not have a manual for this machine. I got it used. Any advise?  -- other than quit mucking around. Will be grateful for any help.

Thanks, Julia

Compaq Presario 1528CL, Power on Password ResetHow To Reset Your Bios (guide)

I have forgotten Power On Password of my Compaq Presario 1528CL machine. Please help me out to reset bios OR Power ON Password. I have tried it, by removing CMOS battery for 24 Hrs but same problem still exists.

Qurban 

-question by Qurban Ali

hi there i've tried the suggestion but it can reset my bios to its factory default.i'm using pc atom with mainboard Intel? Desktop Board DG945GCLF.and then i had got virus trojan that cause my pc cannot work to its windows xp program.i tried to get in the BIOS and there's this sentences in the advanced area "Setup Warning : Setting items on this screen to incorrect values may cause system to malfunction!" and when i tried to check drive configuration it state my hard drive goes to SATA 0 and i can't change that.when i checked the Boot area and the CD/DVD ROM Drive not detected. and that's why i've tried to restore the factory default.what should i do now???please advise.