xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chatz

Ps3 Info All about the ps3

The PlayStation 3 (also known as the PS3) is the upcoming gaming console from videogame manufacturer Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) which is a department of Sony. Similar to its predecessor, the PlayStation 2, the PlayStation 3 will move closer towards Sonys goal of presenting an entertainment system available to the general masses. This goal will not be met, however, during this generation of gaming hardware. This is mostly due to the fact that the cost to Sony would be too great and those costs would then be reflected onto the consumer. In order to design the PlayStation 3 such entertainment system qualities as a TV tuner or DVD burner, the price of the console would skyrocket out of the reach of a great majority of the intended audience. A more likely scenario is that the PlayStation 3 will have the ability to physically upgrade to include these devices or even releasing a new entertainment system with these components further into production (i.e. PSX).

Processor

In order to design the most powerful processor possible with current technology, Sony formed a partnership with electronics giant Toshiba and supercomputer expert IBM. Together, the companies have assigned a team 300 engineers and are spending (an estimated) $500 Million to develop a new type of processor which has been nick-named the Cell. The processor is actually a collection of smaller processors. Software packets, called cells, are then sent to each of the smaller processors in order to give instructions on what tasks to perform. When implemented optimally, the processor will be able to calculate up to 1 trillion floating point calculations per second, which as you would imagine, is better than any standard computer processor.

The PlayStation 3 is not the only application that will use the Cell, however. Sony and Toshiba plan to make use of the chip in many common electronics, including household appliances. This combined with the possibility of shared computing could result other PlayStation 3s, or even your toaster providing extra computing power to your PlayStation 3 through a broadband connection. The chip has been designed in such a way to provide opportunities for such innovation.

Memory

Memory is an extremely important component to any computer system, and Sony has already ensured that the PlayStation 3 will contain some of the best memory on the market. Sony has licensed XDR DRAM for use will all of their Cell applications, including those of the PlayStation 3. XDR DRAM was developed through a joint effort by Elpida, Toshiba, and Rambus and will offer a bandwidth of at least 3.2 GHz (which is eight times that of todays best-in-class PC memory). The architecture allows the memory to be expanded up to 6.4GHz, so it is unclear as to which bandwidth Sony will choose. There has also been no mention of how much memory Sony will choose, as that strongly depends on how much on-chip memory they decide to delegate.

Broadband Connection

The next incarnation in the PlayStation series will most likely feature a broadband modem. Broadband internet service is spreading rapidly over the United States, Japan, and parts of Europe with a minimum of 50% coverage by the time the PlayStation 3 is released. Online console gaming is becoming more popular by the day and Sony has already shown support for such gaming on the current PlayStation 2. If shared computing is implemented, a broadband connection will be necessary to benefit from other systems in standby. A dial-up modem will most likely not be included as the demand for such a device is rapidly declining and in all likelihood, games will not be able to transfer data quick enough over a phone line for online gaming.

Hard Drive

With the recent trend towards downloadable content and online gaming, it is almost certain that Sony will include a hard drive in the PlayStation 3. Upcoming games like SOCOM 2 and GT4 will make use of the PlayStation 2 HDD (hard disk drive) and games like Final Fantasy XI require such use. Sony is making an effort to get PlayStation 2 owners to adapt to using a hard drive, and it is reasonable to assume that they will continue with this mentality to include a hard drive in the PlayStation 3. Combined with a broadband connection, the hard drive could be used to download music, movies, and even game demos. By including a hard drive, Sony will be opening up an entirely new avenue for gamers and media enthusiast alike.

Memory cards will most likely be a thing of the past in favor of the more versatile Memory Sticks. Already designed into the upcoming portable gaming unit, PlayStation Portable (PSP), memory sticks allow for data to be transferred from a wide variety of electronic devices. By using memory sticks instead of memory cards, the PlayStation 3 will be able to share data with computers, digital cameras, and any other devices which uses memory sticks. The main use of the memory sticks will be to transfer data between devices rather than data storage. The majority of storage, including game saves, will be done on the hard drive.

Controllers

For the past 9 years, the PlayStations controller hasnt had any significant design changes. The controller is comfortable, the buttons are well placed and it adapts successfully to many different styles of games. We think, and most of you would agree, that Sony hit the nail on the head the first time. Personally, we dont want any changes to the PlayStation controller and judging by our recent controller poll, neither does anyone else. There could be some small cosmetic modifications soft grip pads, molded handles but other then that, we really dont see the need to change the controller at all. From a technical point of view, their might be some changes that need to be done internally in regards to wiring or the mechanical composition, but we can hardly comment on information we are not privy to. A majority of gamers refer to the Dual Shock controllers as the best in the business which is why, in this case, change might not be a good thing.

Release Date

Possibly the most talked about and controversial topics on the PlayStation 3 involve the expected release date. 2006.

A few companies have made it public that they have yet to receive any next-next-generation development kits from any of the big three. They also commented that they expect to receive these kits soon if a 2006 release is to occur. Sony has begun a test line of Cell manufacturing which could lead to the manufacturing of development kits very shortly. As the hardware development continues, a better idea of a possible release will emerge. <_<

Im going out the first day the ps3 comes out to go buy it..are u? :ph34r:

Notice from jlhaslip:

As pointed out, use bbcode quote tags for information which is not original to this forum.

No warning issued this time. Please read the Xisto readme for further information.

lol Ya I am probably not going to buy this new console for a while until the prices drop. I am actually happy this is happening because now all the games for Play Station 2 are a lot cheaper upon release. The most expensive is $40 and a lot of the new games are $20.

Just a little note: Make sure to quote any information used before or posted anywhere on the internet even if it was written by you. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

yea it is a very powerful system. But instead of making their graphics bright and colorful they focused on the texture and contrast. But after seeing how high end all the next gen consoles are i could only imagine how the next set of consoles will look in about five years or so.

Well i keep hearing that the ps3 is doing very poorly becuase of their game selection. They are really going to have to do something big if they want to beat the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii. But the new thing they call home might be the big thing sony needed but we will see when it comes out.

Sony is going to be able to stay afloat in the console market simple because of the franchises they have backing them for Sony only(Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid come to mind), but I do believe that they will do the poorest out of the other companies.

i love the ps3 for good graphics,games everything.... better then xbox ,360

err, sorry to shove a bee into your hive, but you might wanna check the facts next time you post something like that.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

take a look at this. I know what your first thought would be; this is from an xbox style site therefore it cannot be trustworthy. wrong: I have researched the specs and reviews in depth over both and concluded that they are very close in comparisons, also the ps3's processors are technically a bit more powerful than the ones in the xbox, but physically its not the case. If implemented properly they may function well, but the truth is that it will be a while before any games can make full use of the power as it is so complex that making a game to take full advantage of them with the very specific programming is hard.
And of course there are many other factors that come into account. Sony do make a habit of over-doing the specs to what actually gets physically produced.

also, you may say that its quite short, so cannot be trustworthy, or contain the whole truth either. They have merely tried to make it reader friendly. And everything else over the topic is covered in other areas of their site.

It is a close match between the two. If you want enjoyment, with value for money, go for the xbox. I guarantee you'll be tremendously pleased with what you get!

I won't buy the ps3 when it comes out, I may also not buy it even a couple of years down the line. I'll probably get a new wii maybe a newer version if it ever comes out, as that'd be well fun!

Wow, even though the ps3 has been out for quite some time, i didnt even know that it had as much information as you said. really it is similae to a computer if only they had a built in windows or somehting to make it really like a computer then maybe i would buy iut then?

The ps3 really was over hyped i am a sony fan but the ps3 is just a computer now i am not even going to get one now i am getting a 360 sony kept there system back for 1 year and they did not make it better than the 360 they just made it a super computer instead of a high quality game system.

The only thing really holding back sony is lack of games, and the fact they making the release dates of PS3 ports longer, I have one but none of the PS3 that are out don't look interesting enough to play, although I had my on a few racing games. Of course I be waiting out for the the good games which starting coming out in the fall. By then I will have a HDTV :lol:.