xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FirefoxRocks

Unzipping (untar) Tar Files

How do I unzip TAR files on the server? Is there a specific program that does this?I don't want to upload the little "module" packages one by one to the server because that will consume more bandwidth.If there is a program that does this and it is freeware, please tell me where to get it and what it generally does.I use ZipGenius 6 to open most of my compressed files, including TAR files. If there is a better way to do this, tell me how to.Thanks

Well assuming (...thats not a good thing to do <_<) that you have the files uploaded to the Xisto server and such, here is what you do:

1. Login to Cpanel

2. Find the File Manager (under website management)

3. Locate the file and its folder (/public_html/stuff/blah.tar

4. Click the blah.tar file

5. Look to the right, and a bunch of options should come up in the frame, and click Un-Zip

6. After that a new window appears, and you should see a buch of info, CLOSE that and refresh the page, and your file should be unzipped.

Hopefully that helps, since I do it normally, with regular .zip files.

Okay. I have uploaded the file and...1) Upload files using AceFTP.2) Logged into cPanel.3) Found File Manager.4) Navigated to tar file.5) Clicked on tar file: Options came up but no unzip command there.Hmm...am I doing something wrong?

hi my dear friends i am know how to un zip .tar files....
you need to download a software winrar that is profect to unzip all files u want.so please download winrar trail version from http://www.rarlab.com/ & install that into your computer..

Then select a .tar file which You want to unzip...

Step 1: Left click on That File Which u Want To Unzip >>>

Step 2: Click on Extrack Files or Extrack Here or Extrack to File name.

Step 3:Finish

Enjoy unziping unlimited files.

Hope u ll enjoy my this replay..

Any email at plz_pay@yahoo.com or plz_pay@hotmail.com

Thank You !

Hv a Nice Day To all my friends !!!

Okay. I have uploaded the file and...1) Upload files using AceFTP.
2) Logged into cPanel.
3) Found File Manager.
4) Navigated to tar file.
5) Clicked on tar file: Options came up but no unzip command there.

Hmm...am I doing something wrong?

Try asking a admin or submit a tech support reply to the "offline" people, and they should get back to you sometime... <_< . Anyways I can normally unzip .zip files, so just take the stuff out of the .tar and put it in a .zip

It worked for me so, I don't know what problem you are having. It should just say "Unzip Files" or Unzip something.

hi my dear friends i am know how to un zip .tar files....

you need to download a software winrar that is profect to unzip all files u want.so please download winrar trail version from http://www.rarlab.com/ & install that into your computer..

Then select a .tar file which You want to unzip...

Step 1: Left click on That File Which u Want To Unzip >>>

Step 2: Click on Extrack Files or Extrack Here or Extrack to File name.

Step 3:Finish

Enjoy unziping unlimited files.

Hope u ll enjoy my this replay..

Any email at plz_pay@yahoo.com or plz_pay@hotmail.com

Thank You !

Hv a Nice Day To all my friends !!!

The thread starter is asking how to untar the tar file in the server. He is asking how to untar the tar file in the file manager or Cpanel. What admin has done also I've never done. If you have followed that's very good.

However, my recommendation to him is get Winrar and Unzip the tar file locally in his local computer and then zip again using winzip so that he can upload to the server using upload to the server any folders after public_html and after you finish uploading click on the zip file, you will have options in the right side, click on extract the file, it will extract all the files.

Tar files are difficult to manage but have been used for compressions since they comes with smaller size when compressed. It is good for storing purpose but when we have to use it is first better to convert in zip file only.

That's my suggestion.