xisto Community
DjLuki

Football Vs American Football

i found this article this guy wrote about why american football, which i not really true. this was posted by a fox sports writer at their site. here is what the wrote..

The World Cup is over, and NFL training camps open in less than three weeks.
Which got the FOX Funhouse staff thinking about why we like our football better than the world's football ...

Much better looking trophy given to the champions.

Overtime is sudden death ... first to score, wins.

Championships not decided by the random guessing game that is a penalty kick.

Football has cheerleaders.
Players only carried off field on stretchers for real, serious injuries.

There's no "magic spray" in football.

There's no pretending to be fouled.

There's no pretending to be hurt.

A blowout isn't 2-0.

Ties rarely ever happen.

Offsides rule in football easier to understand than offsides rule in soccer.

With obvious exception of Philly and Oakland, very few hooligans.

As amazing as this is to admit in light of the 2006 Super Bowl, referees are more competent in our football.

The U.S. would never lose to Ghana in a game of football.

now i wanna know which sport is actually better american fotball or real football (soccer)?
in my opinion, all those things he said are stupid and that guy must be an idiot. First off, in soccer you don't have 300 pound guys standing there on the field, they're not athletic . and he also said "no pretending to be fouled" which is stupid, we have seen that in american football too. and it is not a beter looking trophy. if u win the superbowl, you are not a world champion, you are only in us becuase nobody else plays it. High scoring games in football? please i have seen many games in football where its like 3-0.. and it took 3 or 4 hours for that score. it stops every 2, 3 minutes.. to many commercial breaks, in soccer u get nonstop action, no stopping. The names Football makes no sense for the game. If they think that are that tough, let them go play rugby, and watch what real "futball what you call it here i guess" is . also in soccer you don't need to wear protection all over your body. this is stupid, they say futball is more physical than soccer, but in soccer your only protective gear is your shinguards. also, put a football player in running for 90 minutes see how long he can actually do it.. maybe 30 the most.there's no timeouts either. i got a lot more but i also want to hear your opinions on which sports is actually better. Soccer or Football.
Edited by moderator (see edit history)

Looks like you are a soccer lover and a american football hater. Shame on you.For me, I enjoy both of the sports, but, since I am from america, yes, I enjoy football much more than "futbol".The concepts of both sports differ greatly. Football is much more physical, let's be honest, much much more physical than soccer. It is not an endurance sport so no, a player wouldn't be able to run around a field for 90 minutes. I do say, though, that if you happened to stick a soccer player on the football field and let him be the running back for a play, he may not walk off the field. Soccer players suffer from cardiovascular punishment, while in football it's purely physical punishment.I hate sports that has a setup where games can end in ties. The world cup recently just proved to myself how much I really don't like to watch or follow soccer. Who wants to see a game end in a tie? Rather, who wants to see a 100 or whatever length of a game end in a tie. I surely don't want to watch 100 or so with no one scoring, then walking out of the arena without the feeling of winning or losing...it's stupid. In football, that can also happen, yet it almost never does. Even if one was to end in a tie, there was atleast a lot of drama along the way. Trust me, every football game provides many more entertainment value moments than soccer, it's pure fact.I like soccer, but I won't get hooked on it or follow any teams. And heck, you complain about commercial breaks and such, heck, 85 minutes of a 90 minute soccer match is a commercial break to me, with the other 5 minutes going to potential goals and maybe some good individual moves. Also, I do enjoy an injury from time to time, laughing as someone is carried off in a stretcher for having a bruised toe or a lump on their head, only to come back onto the field like nothing ever happened (which is always the case). That kind of stupidness turns my face away from the game. So while I do enjoy a soccer game from time to time, it's rare, real rare. I do admit though, arena soccer is definitely something to watch, since the field is much smaller and the action more intense since there's much less room to keep the ball in control. If I'm going to watch a soccer game, it would probably be indoors, in a shortened field, but again, I'm not quite sure the enhland folks take part in such a variation of the sport.So I guess, um, I choose football over futbol...

I like American football better too. I did watch the World Cup, and the two goal were quick and exciting, but after that, it was just real boring. The ball goes back and forth and somebody may shoot, but they miss. I had to stop watching it after a while. Also, there is no action in "futbol", unless you consider a slide tackle action. There's minimal scoring too. Like elevenmil said, who wants to watch 100 minutes of a scoreless game. Djluki said that football games can end up being 3-0. Yes, that's true, but that is very rare. It probably happens only once or twice a season. Soccer games can sometimes reach 3 goals, but that's pretty rare. Wouldn't you rather see great catches than headers? Wouldn't you rather see somebody actually get points for kicking a ball? Wouldn't you rather see a linebacker hit a QB with his whole body? In my mind, it's obvious that American football is better.

i found this article this guy wrote about why american football, which i not really true. this was posted by a fox sports writer at their site. here is what the wrote..now i wanna know which sport is actually better american fotball or real football (soccer)?
in my opinion, all those things he said are stupid and that guy must be an idiot. First off, in soccer you don't have 300 pound guys standing there on the field, they're not athletic . and he also said "no pretending to be fouled" whicih is stupid, we have seen taht in american football too. and it is not a beter looking trophy. if u win the superbowl, you are not a world champion, you are only in us becuase nobody else plays it. High scoring games in football? please i have seen many games in football where its like 3-0.. and it took 3 or 4 hours for that score. it stopes every 2, 3 minutes.. to many commercial breaks, in soccer u get nonstop action, no stopping. The names Football makes no sense for the game. If they think that are that tough, let them go play rugby, and watch waht real "futball what you call it here i guess" is . also in soccer you don't need to wear protection all over your body. this is stupid, they say futball is more physical than soccer, but in soccer your only protective gear is your shinguards. also, put a football player in running for 90 minutes see how long he can actually do it.. maybe 30 the most.there's no timeouts either. i got a lot mroe but i also want to hear your opinions on which sports is actually better. Soccer or Football.

Makes pretty good sense to me what he said. The reason 300 pound guys can play the game is precisely because there's more to the game then running and kicking, which is pretty much all there is to what we call soccer over here, and one of the main reasons I don't like it. Baseball you get running, throwing, hitting, pitching, and catching going on nonstop. Football allows big burly guys to block and tackle, the QB is throwing or handing off to a guy who'll catch and run it. But in soccer about all that happens is somebody gets a ball and runs it/kicks it to where someone else can kick it. Then occasionally the one goalie person who gets to use their hands gets to try catching it but aside from him all there is is running and kicking, unless you count throw-ins, which take a LOT of arm athleticism... <_<

And I agree with the other posters, you're very rarely going to see football end in a tie. At any given moment the QB can hurl a long bomb into the end zone, have the team do an onside kick, recover, get the ball back, and score 16 points in a minute to win the game. In baseball a bunch of late inning hits and a big home run can result in 6 or 7 runs shooting up on the scoreboard real fast for a late win. In basketball the team can rally with defense and offense to spark 20 points in a minute to win the game. And soccer? If they score 2 goals in 10 minutes you're talking edge of your seat exitement. To see more then 10 points combined in a game is practically unheard of. I don't know what 3-0 football games you saw but the teams must both be pretty bad. No matter what you say, professional football teams combining to score that few points is about as rare as a blue moon.

As pointed out, you give a soccer player however much pads and put them in a football game, I doubt many will be capable of walking after the first hit or two. The reason they need all those pads is because football doesn't have a bunch of anorexic little long-distance runners running around but those 300 lb. guys you look down your nose on. There's a big difference between a 150 lb. little soccer player trying to trip you up and a 300+ lb. linebacker bearing down on you from behind. Send your soccer players in to handle that kind of punishment and see how long it is before they want pads, or even to keep playing. :ph34r:

Let's face it, soccer lacks excitement because of the sparsity of goals over huge amount of time. Soccer has a lot of players faking injuries, probably more a problem then in baseball, basketball, and football. The refereeing is pretty bad compared to other pro sports. The fans are always a risk to stampede over someone or get into fights. I don't go around insulting soccer out of the blue but I'll take baseball, basketball, or football over it any day of the week.

As an Australian.. I barely watch the two sports since Australian Rules Football and Rugby League dominate the sporting scene in the winter. But in general, many supporters tend to jump on the bandwagon when a major event of a "minor" sport in their country happens... ie down here, not much people watch soccer, yet the World Cup comes around and a lot of people watch it only because Australia made the final 32 (for the 2nd time in 32 years of trying)..

Right, lets get this straight. Football and American Football are both goodsports in their own rights. But like most American sports, the Americans don'tthink they've seen a good game unless there has been a barrel load of goals/points.Look at the kind of scores run up in American football and basketball. Yet Americanfootball is one of the slowest games to be played. Have you ever watched one live?The action comes in bursts of 5 or 10 seconds and then you may have to wait anothercouple of minutes to see the next play! How fans manage to keep their bums on theirseats for hours on end is beyond me when the sport in question just keeps stoppingand starting. I have watched soccer games that have ended up 0-0 and come awaythinking "That was a cracker of a game". Americans have no sense or appreciationof style or skill, they just care about the end result in their own sports. Whereas Europeans and southern Americans realise there is more to Football than justknocking a ball around a park. There is something infinitely more spiritual aboutFootball and the fans attitude towards their choosen teams that americans will neverappreciate.

Personaly, futeball is a sport, american football is not a sport, in my opinion.I will now explain why.Football is a sport because it doesn't put in danger the lives of the players, american football puts the players lives at risk, in fact, many players die quickly and most of them very slowly, everyone knows the problems caused by drugs that they take, which they must take in order to old on the pain after each and every game they play, no matter the opponant,Second, i think american football is even worst then box, boxers are trained, and trained hard to get punched in the mouth/head, american football players do not, most of them think they are, and coachs want and must show to all people and all media that this players can support all games, all pain, without pain killers, without drugs, B.S.!B.S.! I do not beleave, and i know what the truth is!Third and last, i am tired of writing, the people and all the media do not care for the players of american football, they just want to see a good game, they do not care if a player lost his eye during the game, if a player is taking drugs and can't stop playing because he is so f.k. up with the drugs that he won't get a job anywhere else, et cetera.Personaly, european football is the best for this and many other reasons.

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)

listen to me very carefully. None of you people (americans) will ever be able to prove to or convince us that American football is better than REAL FOOTBALL. first of all, soccer is the real football because you get to actually use you feet for 99.7% of the game. As for the American game, you're using your hands most of the time, and you're wearing a helmet and other body gears, what kind of a sport is that? And the real football has been around longer than American football. Soccer is simply and obviously the most watched sports game in the world. American football doesn't have a worldwide tournament that provides each and every country in the world to qualify for it. WE DO, it's called THE WORLD CUP, the most watched event on this planet. I dare any of you to come up with a reasonable explanation of why american football can be better than REAL FOOTBALL (SOCCER AS YOU PEOPLE SAY IT), cause trust me, you can't and never will. and another thing JOSHUA, you just don't get it, i respect basketball, but SOCCER is the best sport in the world, you gotta face the facts man! you americans are the only ones who like this sport. sure you might be the greatest country with all the technology and stuff, but you really suck at soccer, that's you hate it. come on, prove to me that what you're saying is right. NEVER IN YOUR LIFE, EUROPEAN FOOTBALL IS WAY BETTER THAN AMERICAN SPORTS COMBINED TOGETHER, BRING IT ON BABY !!!!! most of your american movies are all based on american football, that's why i never pay to see them. american football is lame man. if you can get each and every human being on this planet to vote, i GUARANTEE you that soccer will be 90% and AMER football 10%. you guys can't be serious about this, don't even try to compare the two sports, soccer is way out of your league.

Edited by khalood87 (see edit history)

Personally, I am big fan of futbol and I don't watch NFL, but if you ask me there's no point arguing which sport is better because, they're both different sports especially in the way they're played. I agree with khalood87 that American Football has a pretty odd name for a sport where players rarely even use their feet. Why don't you guys argue over Rugby and American Football?

Why don't you guys argue over Rugby and American Football?

Rugby may be reasonably big world-wide, but is only in "development" stage in the US of A, Canada, and various other developing countries. The major strongholds would have to be NZ, Australia, Great Britain, France and South Africa from memory, with the other nations at least capable of upset every now and again.

i think that the only thing thats similar is the name football. Its like compairing golf with snowboarding. Same with rugby too. They have a compleatly different set of rules and is a very different game. A pointless argument in my opinion.

Edited by moderator (see edit history)

i think that the only thing thats similar is the name football. Its like compairing golf with snowboarding. Same with rugby too. They have a compleatly differnt set of rules and is a very differnt game. A pointless argument in my opinion.

i suppose you do have a point there.

Personally, I am big fan of futbol and I don't watch NFL, but if you ask me there's no point arguing which sport is better because, they're both different sports especially in the way they're played.
I agree with khalood87 that American Football has a pretty odd name for a sport where players rarely even use their feet.

Some other sports use the word "Football" although much of the time hands and kicking are used, Rugby Football and Australian football being other obvious examples.

The quote in the first post, seems siding to only American Football. I'm all about soccer. Who says that the rules are difficult to understand? American football's rules are EVEN more difficult to understand. Always changes lines. No limit on the squad :blink:.

I am an American, and I really hate American Football. First off, stupid name, they don't use there feet. Secondly, they think there the toughest people in the world and that everyone in the world watches them run around for 3-5 seconds, then stop, wait 4-5 minutes for comercials, discussion, everyone gets a breather, reset up play. then 3-4 seconds of play, then repeat. it takes no skill to play American Football because all you have to know if when the guy says Hike, you run forward, and occasionally the ball will be in your direction, and you can turn around, and probably miss watching it. In soccer, everyone has to be aware of everything going ona round them all the time. strategy comes into play a lot, but we have to think of it on our feet, we don't get to discuss it for minutes. Also, most American Football players are the most unathletic and stupidest people you will ever meet, and soccer players can be very tough and are normally smart and some of the most athletic people in the world. and thats right, soccer has a WORLD cup, not a competition between a couple cities in 1 country, a tournament between all of the worlds countries-Steve