xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

What Is A Centillian?

A Centillian is a number in which 1 is followed by 103 zeros.

A centillian is,

10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
A word description of what 103 zeros would have been sufficient. There's no need to type it out.

That's cool, but do you think anyone will ever use it? Maybe to describe gas in the next 100 years lol. I would hate to write that out. What if you missed a 0?

A googel is a 1 followed by 100 zeros:

10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

And a googelplex is a 1 followed by a googel zeros:

This will take up probable 20 miles of room if writted out on a line, just think about it, a 1 followed by a googel zeros

Is there even a reason to make such a word as Centillian or Googleplex?I don't see much point in making a number that has 103 zeros...

well i think it would make sense that if you had to use it use it as a fraction to represent it instead of having to write down all the zeros.So for example if you wrote it it would be suach as 250 centillian = 250/103

I?m confused. I was never good at maths :ph34r: but what?s the point of this? I mean... if there is a name for a number which is a 1 followed by 103 zeros... should be another with 33 zeros, 8 zeros, 3426899 zeros? I suppose there must be a logical reason for 103 zeros. If not, it?s completely dumb. <_<

Edited by Sprnknwn (see edit history)

It is completely and utterly impossible to write a googelplex. Even if all the known matter in the universe was converted into paper or disk space, there would not be enough matter to write down a googelplex!

It is completely and utterly impossible to write a googelplex. Even if all the known matter in the universe was converted into paper or disk space, there would not be enough matter to write down a googelplex!

i don't know about that <_<
i'm pretty sure it would be possible to write down a googelplex :ph34r:

lol I think it is just a way to name them for any given reason. People who are interested in numbers will use it like those trying to find the largest prime number. I think it is also just to say that there are huge numbers. People will use it to describe a large quantity of something just to exagerate like a billion times or whatever. There are other uses but we generally won't need it.

Very funny that there are special names for such huge ammounts of zero's in a row don't you think? Google made a nice choise basing their company on that, so we can all think of them as "almost infinite" possiblity's possible <_<

Wow, I've never even heard of these types of numbers before and didn't know that there was a special type of number for 103 zeros. I assumed there'd be a type for 100 though, as it's a well rounded number.I don't think we'll ever need to use them in our lifetimes and feel that if we did, it'd be too complicated and we'd have to write everything in standard form (1 x 10^103) otherwise we'd run out of space on the paper or where-ever it was we were going to write it.However, maybe in the future, there will be a need. For example, there may be new forms of technology available which have this amount of space or memory.

Thats very useful information but now I am thinking whether we can use it in our day to day conversations or not and that too without people asking me what in the name of Holy God am I talking about.Anyways thanx for the information

The thought of numbers that big just makes my brain hurt. :) Hehe rahul, when would you be using these words in day-to-day conversations? :P I think you'd have to come up with excuses just to use them, and then probably nobody would understand- unless your friends are all mathematicians! :P Google is a good name also because it reminds people (well, me) of ogle, and it helps you look for (at) things. :)

Cool, thanks for the tip, now i can use the word centillian besides using just million.On second thought, I'll use infinite :lol:Just fooling around, will there be a word bigger than centillian other than infinite? I'm just curious, but i don't think we can ever use it, the number is too long and big to be used, a sentence with this large number will also look like spam, lol..