xisto Community
Milk

Bootxp V2.5

I was looking around a site and it had a really funny Boot screen. I didn't know how to install it, but the person who posted the screen said something about using BootXP. So I went and installed it, but I didn't know how to use it and then I wanted to delete the program.

When I went to uninstall it, it told me:

"ERROR: Deleting This Boot Line Will Leave Your BOOT.INI Without Options. Use This Button To Delete Backup Lines or Be Sure To Have At Least One Working Boot.INI Line Before Delete Lines."

I don't know what this means, so then I went to google and I found this:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/review/1010583529/1/view

and the reviewers were talking about windows crashing?! This is a pretty new computer and I'd be really pissed if it deleted all my stuff...

Could anyone explain or help or whatever? Any help is reaally super appreciated.

I've written programs that use BOOT.INI, I think I might be able to help you with your problem. BOOT.INI is a file that is loaded when your computer is loading up that tells the computer what to load next. By modifying BOOT.INI, you can give the computer more choices of things to load. This is useful because you can load other Operating Systems or other programs instead of loading Windows.

and the reviewers were talking about windows crashing?! This is a pretty new computer and I'd be really pissed if it deleted all my stuff...

After reading what the reviewers wrote, I can am fairly sure as long as you reinstall Windows right, that you will not lose your data. If you want, you can go ahead and uninstall it. However, if the program works the way I think it does, you can send me your BOOT.INI file and I SHOULD be able to change it for you so that your computer works properly with out the Bootxp V2.5 program. Even if I do change it you still may need to reinstall Windows, what I know about this program all comes from the comments I read about the program, and those can tend to be very inaccurate at times. If you want to me to take a look at your BOOT.INI file, open up Notepad, click File > Open, type BOOT.INI in the Filename box, and click Open. Just copy and paste it here, or PM it to me, it doesn't reveal any sort of personal information btw.

Are you serious? I don't want to reinstall windows...I just want to uninstall this stupid program. Argh.

This is the file I think:

[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Thanks so much!

Thanks for posting back quickly, it looks completely normal like a regular BOOT.INI should. It looks like it modified one of your system files that is used to start up your comp (mostly likely ntoskrnl.exe). I can check to see if your the files you are loading when Windows starts is still right, or you can just reinstall Windows. I'll gladly help you out with both if you want the help.

yeah sure! What do you want me to do?

lol I thought you meant it was going to take an hour to explain. Thank you!

Alright, here is what I want you to do. Open up your BOOT.INI file again.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Add " /bootlog" after that and restart your computer. What this does will do is record all of the files that are loaded when your computer starts up. It will record them on your root drive, in your Windows folder, in a file called ntbtlog.txt. Email it to me (don't bother copying and pasting, its a huge file, just put it as an attachment) and I'll compare it to mine and we can see if its an obvious error. My email is assembler7@gmail.com. Remember after changing your BOOT.INI file to save it and remember to restart your computer.

It'll take a while to explain

Guess I explained it faster than I thought lol.

Notice from serverph:
double-post merged

sent =)

Alright, I've compared the two and heres the problem,

Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe

It should look like this:

Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntkrnlos.exe

I think the best thing for you to do is just reinstall Windows XP. The program changed some code somewhere in one of the many programs that loads Windows, probably a program called the NTLDR (stands for NT Loader), and that needs to be repaired by reinstallation. Reinstallation isnt the worst thing in the world. It takes about an hour at most and the setup is easy enough to follow along. If you've got any questions about it feel free to email me (assembler7@gmail.com) or just post again. I can also be contacted on AIM, my screenname is EmptyBinder78 .

man what the heck. I'm suing this program's creator. Assbutts. Thanks so much though, you were a lot of help =)

lol, lazy =P

I was looking around a site and it had a really funny Boot screen. I didn't know how to install it, but the person who posted the screen said something about using BootXP. So I went and installed it, but I didn't know how to use it and then I wanted to delete the program.

When I went to uninstall it, it told me:

"ERROR: Deleting This Boot Line Will Leave Your BOOT.INI Without Options. Use This Button To Delete Backup Lines or Be Sure To Have At Least One Working Boot.INI Line Before Delete Lines."

I don't know what this means, so then I went to google and I found this:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/review/1010583529/1/view

Could anyone explain or help or whatever? Any help is reaally super appreciated.

=============================================

this soft is able to edit boot skins directly.

^ You know, if you need to quote, you have to use the quote code...that's called cheating in this forum. And it's especially cheap when I already know that it does that....