xisto Community
delivi

Memory Trick To Speedup Windows Xp

Here is one of the not so known method for free-up the RAM to make the Windows run faster.

When programs run in Windows XP, they frequently use what are called DLLs (Dynamic-Link Libraries).

These contain shared programming instructions and other files like icons, graphics, sounds, etc. that different applications use in order to run. DLLs are stored in RAM whenever the applications load them; when you quit a program, XP is supposed to release the DLL from memory. But some DLLs can get stuck.

Here is the method to mend this up.

Step 1: You can force Windows XP to release DLLs by adding a Registry key.

Step 2: Select Start > Run >Enter regedit >Hit Ok

Step 3: This will open the Registry Editor and navigate to

My Computer -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Explorer.

Step 4: Right click on EXPLORER in the Left Pane, Select New > Key.

Step 5: Name it as AlwaysUnloadDLL and set the default value to 1.

Step 6: Restart Windows to activate the change.

Gove your feed back on this tweak.

what exactly does that do? will it make you lose some function inorder to free up some ram? so far i have read two posts and both are tutorial on ram related subjects. Just buy some more ram people, you will need it eventually when windows vista comes out next year which has a recomanded ram requirement of 1gb.

Yes Workinr with the registry is dangerous. Your system will go useless if your Registry gets corrupted. So be careful when working with the registry. Make a backup of the registry and if you are using windows XP then create a restore point befor you touch the registry.

I can`t find this part: CurrentVersion -> Explorer.

I cant find CurrentVersion -> Explorer. either lol

As far as these are concerned, check that you've travesed the tree through the correct nodes given above.

It's a cool trick, but fiddling with the registry is dangerous, so I'd rather avoid it. Even though I know how to use it, even I can go wrong.Does this trick work with any Windows Version prior to XP, perchance?

I usually don't fiddle with the Registry unless absolutely necessary. I use Microsoft Windows Safety Live BETA and CCleaner to remove old keys from the Registry, otherwise I leave it UNTOUCHED.I found the correct folder. I know how to make a key. How do you set the default value of it?

Interesting! Does this help me terminate non-responding programs too? Sometimes you just wish that there's a plug that you can unplug to forcefully remove a process.... CTRL ALT DELETE just doesn't work anymore...

FirefoxRocks I found the correct folder. I know how to make a key. How do you set the default value of it?

After Creating the key, select the Key name from the tree in the left pane. In the right pane you'll see the Default value change it to 1.

DoogaInteresting! Does this help me terminate non-responding programs too? Sometimes you just wish that there's a plug that you can unplug to forcefully remove a process.... CTRL ALT DELETE just doesn't work anymore...

Dooga, this tweak is not for ending Non responsive applications. It just Unloads the DLLs that occupy the memory after the process is terminated. This will free up the RAM and boost the speed.

By google you can find this the old place for this key (used before windows 2000).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/196480

However in de dutch section of tips and tricks you can find that there is a key with this function on antother place :
My Computer -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion --> Uninstall

(you can find this info also on the Microsoft site in Dutch )http://www.microsoft.com/nl-nl/sitemap.aspx?page=404&intent=/netherlands/ondertop5video2.aspx

kdr_98By google you can find this the old place for this key (used before windows 2000).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/196480

However in de dutch section of tips and tricks you can find that there is a key with this function on antother place :

My Computer -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion --> Uninstall

(you can find this info also on the Microsoft site in Dutch )http://www.microsoft.com/nl-nl/sitemap.aspx?page=404&intent=/netherlands/ondertop5video2.aspx

You've Misteaken this Topic. It is different from what you've quoted.

I have read about this trick on a site before, and just a warning it only works on computers which dosent use a Registry cleaning software.I for example use TuneupUtilities, which i program to clean and defrag my registry every forthnight...and i tried the trick ZoneAlarm gave me a red warning saying that they has been a citical registry change...and the registry clean uptook soooo long.It is a very simple trick but could cause problems with softwares which modify explorer.exe...but overall i think it is a pretty cool trick.

Yes meddling up with the registry is really dangerous. If you dont know what you are doing then you can end up with a corrupted registry and your system will crash. So make a backup of your registry befor you make changes in the registry.

i don't now about it,i mean creating keys that are not already in the registry is riskyi once tried to msgina.dll to run another dll 'it effects your start-up lay-out by adding a ginadll key and when i rebooted i could get windows to workso be carefull with updating the registryregards,dero