xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Webber

Religion -- What's Your Viewpoint... A chance to have your say on the worlds religions...

Ok, well I've started a very contravershal (excuse my spelling) topic, and I wish first of all for nobody to loose them temper or for nobody to post any thing that will offend someone of another religion, it's not here to knock each other, I just would like to see how different religions feel about the world, and the other religions around them.. so let's have a nice, friendly, peaceful debate huh..?? :) Ok, so first of all, I'm a Tibetan Buddhist, urm - I'm a teen, I live in Great Britain.. So i'm fairly isolated, because very few others seem to be buddhists anyway, but especially not the tibetan variation. Unlike regular buddhism, I dont believe in complete no violence, I believe very strongly in the principle of self defence, but other than that, I dont believe that there is need for violence. I guess the reason I brought this up, is that in our school religious studies, the topic came up about abortion, and different stand points, and as always, Buddhism seems very nuetral, but what I dont understand why we all argue so much?? It seems such a strange concept.. religions all arguing and fighting -- there is no need for it in my opinion. The way I see it is that we all have one aim - we all have something that we want to do, and we do it because we believe it to be right .. so what does it matter what John down the road is doing.. or what people in the next town think?? I dont see why everyone seems to need to shout there views about and argue all the time, I know this is a really 'touchy' topic, and I'm trying my best not to offend anyway (hopefully no one has been offended), but I just dont see everyone can't just get on with what they believe in, and stop trying to make others see there way. Think of it like someone with music.. if they like 80's metal, and you want them to like R&B and you tie them to a chair and play the heaviest R&B you can find continuously, there not about to start liking it, but if you just leave them to get on with things, and introduce them to pieces of it bit by bit you have more chance of winning people over... I've never once preached about Buddhism, if anyone asks me a question, then i'll answer it, but I'll never try and make someone see from my point of view and I would like others to do the same.. So my hope is in a world that Catholics, Protestants, Muslims and Jews can all devote their lives togeather, follow their own principles and get on.. without fighting and debate and problems... So there it is, again I'm not knocking anyone's religion, and I'm not saying that God doesn't exsist or anything like that, i completely respect everyone's views, I just dont think it's right that religion, something that is supposed to bring us all togeather for the better of the man kind should cause so many problems around the world... so there we are.. I'll apoligise if I have offended anyway, it wasn't intentional.. So please, let the world know what you think on this delicate topic (not that I believe it should be)... Thanks

Edited by Webber (see edit history)

These problems aren't really that big of a problem; when compared to other problems. Though, before we can talk about one thing, we have to do research on it. I have a quote that you might find interesting,

If you are neutral in a situation of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has his foot on the tail of the mouse, and you say you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.

There are arguments for a reason. Once we understand the reason for these arguments, we can better comprehend the actions that come from them. You have to be willing, and look at the world in the other person's view. There is little neutrality, if not, none in certain things. I believe it is (almost) impossible to be neutral.
But we are looking at arguments that may have, or may promote bad outcomes. Many arguments are there to promote a change for the good. If saving a life means arguing with someone, then i'm all for it. Many religions argue (debate) in this way -- in hope for the better. Just like this topic might have been made for :). Though, some arguments may get out of hand, that may have not been the intention.

follow their own principles and get on..

In Islam, we see that a Muslim should spread the truth and not keep it hidden (Sura 2:42). This may contradict some Christian beliefs. In Christianity, we see that Christians are told to something similar (Matthew 28:19-20). Again, depending on how these things are done, may cause conflict.
We can all agree on many things, but not everything.
Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

That's a very good point, I never thought about it like that. Thanks True fusion.. I guess it's just case that everyone is trying to create what they believe to be the best outcome, and I suppose there just isn't enough space/time for everyone to do the same, so in some cases a clash is going to happen.. Thanks mate that's a nice way to look at things...

You're welcome! Glad to have helped. :)

So there it is, again I'm not knocking anyone's religion, and I'm not saying that God doesn't exsist or anything like that, i completely respect everyone's views, I just dont think it's right that religion, something that is supposed to bring us all togeather for the better of the man kind should cause so many problems around the world... so there we are.. I'll apoligise if I have offended anyway, it wasn't intentional.. So please, let the world know what you think on this delicate topic (not that I believe it should be)... Thanks

Well I agree with you on this belief. Religion should bring us together and not separate us. There have been just as many wars waged in the name of God, as Allah. To me one war over religion is too many.

I do also agree with you truefusion that everyone is hoping for the best outcome, however I think that by clashing about it is not what I would call the best outcome. This is something I've always believed in, "All Religion is is just words. Sticks and Stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me."

Ok...hopefully I haven't offended anyone and if I did I didn't mean it intentionally. :)

My view on religionReligion -- What's Your Viewpoint...

Well in my opinion on religion is complexed . I was raised in a catholic church , for a few years I believed the teachings .  I met Christians who soon converted me into a Pentecost . A few weeks later we meet a kindhearted Muslim man who also taught me about his beliefs . Now I was confused , for I was only 10 at the time and exposed to many religions. Soon I was regretting my fast choice to leap straight into Christianity . From having a wisecracking, extremely bright, liberal of a mother , I was bound to be curious about life . Later I left behind my Christian way of living a went into rebellious tween mode . I started to talk about my opinions about catholics and their teachings and let me tell you most of what I said was not very respectful of smart to say . What can I say I have a big mouth (that needs controlling) . Well me and my big mouth got a one way ticket to detention. I learned to never ever talk bull about other religions (even if you strongly disagree with the teachings of the church, temple,ect) . Well a few months later I meet a beautiful college student who was an atheist . She taught me about genes, traits, and evolution . She was soon converted to a muslim . Later I researched other religions like budhist, hindu, witchcraft , mormonism , witchcraft , and satanism . I was memorized with all of them . I felt confused and a little weirded out about what I was learning . Then I turned eleven my christian friend were still trying to convert me but I resisted . At this very moment I am "on the fence" which means I'm not sure about any religions yet but I'm still looking for that right religion.Peace be with you all !

Signed, 

Green_but_Wise

I have not studied much about religion. As our ancestors follow up Buddhism. I liked it in the sense of non violence. I am agree with neutral is not religion. As Buddhism tells leave all world and get the power of nature (I am not sure about it), I don't believe on that.In my view religion was created to build of society (relationship with man), laws to help for future development that time when it was created. I think there is a religion to handle all the human beings in the world later on they divided so many with growth of population. If someone has different view on same regard he/she try to make different and finally able to make different. Later on it they growth continuously and able to success show identical than previous one.

Too many religions claim to be "the one true religion" or "God's chosen people" for there not to be clashes and arguments between them. The on going Arab-Israeli conflict is a blaring example of this.