xisto Community
mayank

Important Things To Be Followed By Everyone!

Well, I am sorry to say this but I've noticed that the quality of the posts is degrading day by day and because of that only, I am writing this post and I am trying to bring out certain things which each and every member has to keep in mind while starting a new post.

I know that all these things are mentioned thousand or may be endless times in the forum however still if we've to repeat ourselves then I think there is something wrong even if all the moderators try their level best to keep the things neat and clean.

When you are about to start a new topic.

There are certain things which every member must do before starting a new topic and beleive me, these have been said endless times and is repeated again this time also.....

* Use the search feature to find out if the topic has been discussed before and if it has been instead of starting a new topic make a reply in that post.

* Make sure that you give a descriptive topic title and by descriptive I mean a topic title which makes sense and explains what exactly you want to say in the topic. Now, this is not only important from the point of view of better and organized post but also because it helps in the SEO of the forum.

You can leave out topic description because it no longer plays an important role in the SEO however if there is a description then it can make a post look better and can attract the readers (oh yes, not everyone will open the post if it is not having a catchy or important heading).

* Always make sure that you contribute in the forum from your own words, if you are copying and pasting the content from different sources then make sure you QUOTE it and then dont forget to give your opinion on that....Dont just copy and paste the stuff..We do want to know your opinion too and that will keep things moving and keep the forum interesting.

and when I say your words, dont forget that more words means more credits, so when you write....write as much as you can to get more credits (its for your own good).

When making a reply to a topic

* NO ONE LINERS

* Don't forget to be ON TOPIC, if you think that your reply will take the post completely on a different aspect even if it is somewhat related to the topic then you must make a new topic and when you make a new topic then dont forget to mention why you made a new topic (even if the related topic exists) Remember, if you'll explain then it will take another 10-20 words which will again give you more credits

* Try not to flame and not to forget that it is a public forum and thus you must use proper language in the forum.

* If you are promoting any religion then there is no harm in it but remember that each and every religion deserves equal respect and same is the case with other communities, countries, people...remember that if you give respect to others you'll gain respect from others.

These are some of the things which I thought that they needed to be highlighted as I think these simple and basic things are not followed by the members these days..........and I'll again point out on the DESCRIPTIVE TOPIC TITLE! please make sure that you follow these things....not only they are simple but helpful for you and others too!

I hope that this post will make some difference and we'll get to see some improvement in the forum.

* Use the search feature to find out if the topic has been discussed before and if it has been instead of starting a new topic make a reply in that post.

Nice advices!! I have just a small problem in the search section: for example if I want to search two words in a topic then the engine will search all topic that have the first word and then will search all topics that contains the second word, but what I want is to search topics that contains the two words at the same time. If someone didn't get it then here is a simple equation that will let understand: assuming x is the first word and y is the second one then when searching for topics containing x and y the engine puts this: All topics with X word and then all topics with Y word not X+Y in the same one, and I don't like that at all.

These are some of the things which I thought that they needed to be highlighted as I think these simple and basic things are not followed by the members these days

Not all of us doesn't respect these rules but some of us, you should clear that up. Thank you for repeating this over and over members should really listen to these instrucions and apply it.

Yes thanks for bringing this up mayank to remind everyone of the rules. I must admit I have made a few short posts here and there but you have to remember that sometimes it doesn't take much to make a response like to those who need help with something. Hopefully you guys know and understand that because sometimes you do it too because that is all that is necessary. I also can't really get the search engine to work properly. I tried using the advanced search and it all seems to give me problems. It brings up like 8 pages of topics or posts and none of them are related to what I'm looking for even if I know there is multiple topics of one thing.

I know I am replying after a long time to the plenoptic's post and the reason for that is due to time shortage, I normally come to the forum and look for the posts which are not following the rules and I fix them and I go quickly without making posts :)Anyway, as you said plenoptic that you made some short posts here and there but that is fine with moderators or infact members considering the fact that you have contributed well always, we don't expect you to write essays everytime you make a post, we just want a post which atleast has a bit in it to be worth something.And as both of you pointed out that you are finding it difficult to use search engine, then let me tell you how I use the search feature :If at all, I find a news, software, update which I think that forum needs then I simply make the search about that particular thing...lets assume that GMail got update with chat....then I'll simply look around first in the proper place and if I dont find it then I make use of search feature to make sure that the topic doesnt exist. I simply use the keywords like "Gmail Updates chat" (sans quotes).This will most likely bring the right post or related post and If I get a related post then I simply make a reply else I make a new post. Over here too we are not saying that you have to be really specific, if at all you think that the post you are about to make will be different then the existing related posts then go ahead and make a new post!

Hadi, have you ever heard of boolean searching? That was actually more of a rhetorical question, as anybody who does would know the way to search the way you want to do. When searching, click on [Advanced Usage Help], and this will open a help window explaining how to include or exclude words from searches. You should find it most helpful.

Back on topic, and I have to say that it annoys me that the situation in these forums is getting so bad that members are being forced to make threads like these. The rules are clearly posted, the search feature can be found on every page, and, looking at the majority of posts in this forum, most of us know what quality posting requires. So why is everyone being so ignorant?!?

I tell you, Xisto is falling apart. So I, for one, am glad to see there is still the small percentage of people who are doing everything they can to keep this forum together and ensure order over this community.

To sum this up, the majority of members of Xisto should attempt to get their act together. Nuff said.

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

I tell you, Xisto is falling apart. So I, for one, am glad to see there is still the small percentage of people who are doing everything they can to keep this forum together and ensure order over this community.

Well, personally I even feel so and I am glad that we have members like you and there is a quite number of members who want this community to grow..I am glad that we have such member which are hard to find anywhere else :)

Using the search feature will sometimes lead to unheavenly anger, due to the fact that you can't use any keywords in the search that have less than 4 characters in them. There have been countless times where I got that error.

Hi everyone!Although, I am not at all regular in the forum these days. But, I do come now and then to make sure that all members don't forget me :lol:Anyway, this is just a bump post, because while I was going through the posts today, I noticed that there were many posts which were having only a single word in the Topic Title.And also that posts were not very descriptive. We have to understand that in order to make sure this community grows constantly we'll need to make sure that we at least follow the above given rules.Please, make sure that when anyone creates a new post then please concentrate a lot on Topic Title....that is the most important aspect, however not neglecting the other rules too.

Well, I am sorry to say this but I've noticed that the quality of the posts is degrading day by day and because of that only, I am writing this post and I am trying to bring out certain things which each and every member has to keep in mind while starting a new post.

I know that all these things are mentioned thousand or may be endless times in the forum however still if we've to repeat ourselves then I think there is something wrong even if all the moderators try their level best to keep the things neat and clean.

There are certain things which every member must do before starting a new topic and beleive me, these have been said endless times and is repeated again this time also.....

* Make sure that you give a descriptive topic title and by descriptive I mean a topic title which makes sense and explains what exactly you want to say in the topic. Now, this is not only important from the point of view of better and organized post but also because it helps in the SEO of the forum.

You can leave out topic description because it no longer plays an important role in the SEO however if there is a description then it can make a post look better and can attract the readers (oh yes, not everyone will open the post if it is not having a catchy or important heading).

* Always make sure that you contribute in the forum from your own words, if you are copying and pasting the content from different sources then make sure you QUOTE it and then dont forget to give your opinion on that....Dont just copy and paste the stuff..We do want to know your opinion too and that will keep things moving and keep the forum interesting.

and when I say your words, dont forget that more words means more credits, so when you write....write as much as you can to get more credits (its for your own good).

* NO ONE LINERS

* Don't forget to be ON TOPIC, if you think that your reply will take the post completely on a different aspect even if it is somewhat related to the topic then you must make a new topic and when you make a new topic then dont forget to mention why you made a new topic (even if the related topic exists) Remember, if you'll explain then it will take another 10-20 words which will again give you more credits

* Try not to flame and not to forget that it is a public forum and thus you must use proper language in the forum.

* If you are promoting any religion then there is no harm in it but remember that each and every religion deserves equal respect and same is the case with other communities, countries, people...remember that if you give respect to others you'll gain respect from others.

These are some of the things which I thought that they needed to be highlighted as I think these simple and basic things are not followed by the members these days..........and I'll again point out on the DESCRIPTIVE TOPIC TITLE! please make sure that you follow these things....not only they are simple but helpful for you and others too!

I hope that this post will make some difference and we'll get to see some improvement in the forum.

i agree with all of the above, but honestly if people are going to write a 9 paragraph essay just to get hosting credits

and are constantly repeating themselves it gets seriously annoying.. i mean i dont want to sit down and read for half an hour just to figure out what they are trying to pursue/answer with the post if all they are saying is

"its horrible, its bad, it not good, its blah blah blah" not saying that one liners are the right thing to do, but yea, thats my opinion

* NO ONE LINERS

well for me the forum is to share/solve problems or share what i/you think about this site. or your suggest or something or your lost on what you are doin here ( I always go to the forum if i need any help/problems ) So the forum is the area.

Thanks alot for the info :P

Edited by RBron (see edit history)

i agree with all of the above, but honestly if people are going to write a 9 paragraph essay just to get hosting credits
and are constantly repeating themselves it gets seriously annoying.. i mean i dont want to sit down and read for half an hour just to figure out what they are trying to pursue/answer with the post if all they are saying is

"its horrible, its bad, it not good, its blah blah blah" not saying that one liners are the right thing to do, but yea, thats my opinion

Yeah I think you are right. Sometimes there won't be any need to write a very long post.

its pretty simple - no one liners! :)

How ironic!