xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JC05

Sata And Ide

Hi guys, I have a IDE Hard drive i think. It says ATA/100 or something like that. I want to add another hard drive to my computer so i have two. I have a one of those flat cables that connects the hard drive to the Motherboard and it has one more port coming off to plug in one more hard drive to that cable. What is the difference between SATA and IDE and is IDE the same as ATA/100? Can i get an SATA cable and plug it into my ATA/100 or should i just get another ATA/100 hard drive? Thanks

I have computer with both interfaces: IDE and SATA.

And I have two hard drives: IDE 80Gb and SATA 160Gb.

I think that you can't connect SATA hard drive to IDE interface with any cable...

I quote next sentences from Computing forum.

SATA will load your games faster. If the game consumes all your RAM and needs to fetch data from your hard disk that will speed up too.

I dont think your frame rates will be affected at all. Leave that up to your cpu and video card.

Serial ATA over Parallel for airflow in some situations can be enough to determine what to get...

Either way, Rounded IDE cables are beautiful with UV smilies painted on them.

And follow I quote at TSLG.

To the best of my knowledge, SATA will not connect to PATA or IDE. The data

connections as well as the power connections are different. But I have seen

small adaptor cards which fit into the IDE connection ports and converts to

sata. They also include power adaptors. I have never tried them out though.

I have seen them in shops. They are also very cheap.

And next sentenses i quote at QUE pub.

Serial ATA (SATA) is the emerging replacement for ATA/IDE drive interfacing. While early SATA drives did not provide performance significantly faster than ATA/IDE drives, the newest SATA drives feature support for command queuing, which can provide better real-world performance in some cases. This article discusses how command queuing works and helps you determine which products support which types of command queuing.

If you're planning a motherboard or system upgrade which will include SATA RAID, you should look for motherboards and drives which support command queuing. However, if you've decided to skip SATA-150 drives altogether and wait for the 300MBps SATA-300 drives, they'll start arriving in 2005, and NCQ is an integral part of that specification.

And of course my computer specs:

MB: Intel 925G

Hard Drive: WD 160Gb 7200rpm

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.00Ghz

RAM: 1024 Mb DDRII

and so on

Actually I use my computer for playing computer games like Need for Speed: Most Wanted and programming in Delphi, C++ Builder, Notepad...

What is your specs of your computer? And how about MB?

And i'm sorry for many quotes, but it needed... (for admin)

Edited by DeveloperX (see edit history)

umm...from looks the cable and data wire of SATA is quite different from ATA.furthermore your motherboard should support both of them,then set the configuration of cmos to make them available together simultaneously.in your os there must be the right drive for the SATA drive.

ATA/100 and ATA/133 are (Parallel) ATA drives and are connected with a 40 (or 80) ribbon cable.SATA/150 (or Serial ATA) is connected with a small cable.On the newer SATA drives even the power connector is not the same anymore.So if you want to use SATA drives on older hardware you ned an extra controller.But mostlikely you don't get any more speed with it.Since the disks transfer most of the time no more then 100 Mbit.So there is almost no speed difference between a ATA/100 , ATA/133 or SATA/150.Unless you have a special drive with high speed heads.If you want a faster transfert with normal disks , you also connect them in a raid configuration.Here you can use Raid 0 (all data is splitted over 2 disks) or Raid 0 + 1.With Raid 0+1 you have only half of the capacity of both disks. (2 disks of 200GB results in a fast 200 GB drive) , with Raid 0+1 you have also a more secure drive , the data is tha same on both disks, so if 1 fails you can replace the disk without losing any data.For using RAID configuration you have to have a special mainboard or a RAID controller. For a new drive I buy a SATA drive (if the motherboard supports it).The price is almost the same and the cables are smaller and easier to connect.

ntro
SATA (Serial ATA) is the new standard in which to connect Hard Drives and soon, Optical drives (DVDRWs, DVDROMS, CDRWS etc) to motherboards. SATA improves on the old IDE interface by offering faster transfer rates, neater cabling, and future-proofing (IDE will begin to be phased out in a few years). Although most SATA drives at the moment aren't any faster than standard IDE drives, new drives are emerging that offer faster transfer rates than IDE limits us to.

As SATA is a new standard there is some confusion over compatibility. Some PSUs (Power Supply Units) need adaptors to connect to SATA drives and older Motherboards don't have SATA support at all. To add to the confusion, when Windows XP was developed SATA wasn't yet a recognised standard so XP doesn't detect SATA drives when you are installing for the first time.

Here is a guide on how to get started with SATA and how to install XP on your new SATA drive:

Before you buy

If you are planning on getting a SATA drive first make sure your Motherboard supports SATA. If your Motherboard doesn't support SATA you can always get an SATA controller card but my advice is to avoid these.

What you need

SATA data cables

SATA drives use the new SATA interface and so don't connect to the Motherboard using normal IDE cables used by IDE HDs and optical drives. However, most Motherboard's come with 1 or 2 SATA data cables in the box and if they are not included you can purchase them separately.

SATA power cables

SATA drives also use a new type of power connecter rather than the standard 4-pin Molex connectors used by IDE HDs and optical drives. Most newly developed PSUs include the SATA power cables but if your PSU does not you will need an SATA power adaptor which can be found cheaply and easily.

Installing Windows

Once you have the drive(s) connected you are ready to start installing XP.

Master and Slave

Remeber since it's serial you can only have one device per SATA port/cable so SATA drives don't have jumpers. On the Motherboard SATA1 Port is for the primary device, SATA2 port is for the secondary device etc.

SATA controller driver

Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you will have to make one. The SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders.

BIOS settings

When you turn on the PC hit the Delete key when prompted and you will enter the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Here you set the first boot device to be the CDROM drive, the option is usually found under the Advanced Options section but this depends on your BIOS and you may have to look around for it. Once you have done this save and exit.

Installing the SATA controller driver

Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter.

With the SATA drivers installed you can now continue the Windows installation as usual.

BIOS settings revisited

Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available. If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

Notice from serverph: