xisto Community
Dooga

Google Used To Be "that Poor Company"

Searching on https://archive.org/, I found some of Google's amazing history, where Larry and Sierry were still low budget, and stanford students. Even Google had to rely on Yahoo's "Yahoo Group" service, for the "Google Friends" newsletter.

Look at Google's old newsgroup here : https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/google-friends/info

It's hard to believe that even Google had to go through the period of "small and little".

And here's Google's very first newsletter (yes when Google didn't own a domain, and was using "google.stanford.edu"

https://www.google.com/googlefriends/apr1998.html (Google archived their newsletters in their own site, so we don't actually know if they changed anything or not...)

I see they're site didn't look as nice and simple as it does now. It looked pretty terrible in the beginning. Of course, companies like lycos and infoseek are now reeling with google being discovered.

Very nice info you found there! I heard once that google was made by two students and was very low-budghet at the beginning. I think that this is the reason for its simplicity and as far as i am concerned, the best business strategy on internet! They really know what they are doing, simple yet effective!greetz

Although people have probably mentioned this...
I think they started out as just two college students, didn't they? Lucky SOBs :)

Dooga said in the first post:

where Larry and Sierry were still low budget, and stanford students

But yeah, that's pretty cool. Makes me want to go e-start some e-cool e-site. It'd be really e-rad.

And those two guys were the leaders of it until they hired some other other guy to also lead with them.

Posted Image

Those are the two first guys. There was an itnerview with them in some magazine, TIME, I think...

Edited by siotoxin (see edit history)

Thats real funny to hear, but it doesent suprise me... all companies start small then grow larger and larger... or instead they just die. Google is a great company, and the inventors are really smart for comming up with such a great search engine, nothing compares to google.com and thats why they arent so poor anymore.

But till where i remember and read about them was that Suns Chairman was impressed by their IDEA of SEARCH on the WEB and gave them $ 1 million with the help of which they started Google Inc.And today they favour Sun Inc. so much due to that.It is evident enough.

Hahaha, yes indeed, even a company with so much power on the internet as Google has nowadays, started off from nowhere like all of us do. It's good diving pack in history, and see how much the internet has changed in the last few years.

Is awesome how some companies started way back when they were poor. It sort of motivates me into giving it a shot and build a business, and work on it to grow little by little until it becomes a huge moster. Its not only about having a great idea, its about taking the first step and do whatever it takes to put the first building block of the idea. Because many people never get past the idea.

Well now that they're successful, the net worth of the 2 creators increase by 2.2 billion dollars each, every year.That's amazing for only like a few of dollars of investment from creating a W3 invalid yucky ugly webpage with a aliased logo and uses free 3rd party services (in the beginning of course...)

They could probably spice up their site. I mean, they have so many new addons (including Checkout which came out not too long ago) and they're competing with everyone. Amazon actually switched back to Microsoft search a little while ago, but I don't think people will go back to AskJeeves and MSN after dealing with Google once. My brother found the site early in 2000 and I've used it ever since. Before then, I don't think I really stayed on the Internet for anything but Diablo II and the Warcraft series. Yeah, I know, geeky.Google's one of the world's premiere success stories but the thing that really makes them great is their eye on making things better, not making money. Working for Google gets you benefits, lovely meals, a lot of freedom, challenge, and fun. In addition, some of the world's greatest minds are just having a blast programming silly programs (remember their April Fool's joke a few years ago?). I read in Time that they could have made about 80 million from this one advertising company, but they refused because that wouldn't provide much for the end user.And it's kind of funny that they have a supervisor now - Eric Schmidt - because at heart, they're just two little kids who found something new to play with. I hope Google keeps going up. I expect only good things.

google - the bestit really motivates me and i m sure many others that how a small negligible budget company could make a fortune.one shouldn't be scared in pursuing the dream of being the next google,next yahoo,or the next alex mathew(milliondollarhomepage.com)one just need enough confdence to go for the best,as most people tend to go towards job they don't tap their enterprenuial pottentialhope this inspires everyone thanks for posting the link