xisto Community
DjLuki

What Constitutes As Sports Today?

ok i have some questions about these sports that re considered sports..for example, NASCAR/MOTORCROSS..are these really sports? you're not doing anyhing except sitting and driving .. ur not wasting any energy so i really don't think its a sport.However, it's more of a strategic game, because it involves more thinking than actually doing, only thing you do is steer a wheel and press gas.In Football/ you see pople 30 / 400 punds on the field? are they really athletic? all they have to do is stand there and don't et anybody come through. Give me some SUMO/WRESLTERS... the best protection a QB can get.

ok i have some questions about these sports that re considered sports..for example, NASCAR/MOTORCROSS..are these really sports? you're not doing anyhing except sitting and driving .. ur not wasting any energy so i really don't think its a sport.
However, it's more of a strategic game, because it involves more thinking than actually doing, only thing you do is steer a wheel and press gas.

In Football/ you see pople 30 / 400 punds on the field? are they really athletic? all they have to do is stand there and don't et anybody come through. Give me some SUMO/WRESLTERS... the best protection a QB can get.

I don't know about NASCAR, but I would most definitely call motorcross a sport. Having done a bit of it myself many years ago, I can tell you that if you have been motorcross racing and you are not fit, your body will be sore all over. It's hard work throwing a motorcycle around a tight twisting track. I think you should try and participate in some of these activities and then see if you think they are a sport or not. Fitness is a necessity in most of the activities you have mentioned.

well, according to the gatorade commercial, those drivers go through an awful lot in those cars both physically and mentally. I've never really seen it as a sport myself- not in the tradition sense. It's a "motor sport." I wouldn't go so far as to call the drivers "athletes" though.

A sport is a physical and mental competative activity for recreational purposes (as distinct from a war activity,for example). The question you are really asking is, what classification a sport should be catagorised into, if the activity fulfills the above requirements.

Edited by tonyused (see edit history)

Well there is wrestling and then there is wrestling. I certainly would consider competition wrestling such as what you see at the Olympics as a sport. However, the WWE wrestling and others like it are more staged entertainment than a sport. I know hard core fans of this type of wrestling will disagree, but that's my opinion.

I believe that sport should be anything that requires specific physical skills in a competetive environment. I dont think it'd be right to call say Formula 1 a sport, but a motor sport (as there reffered to in the uk... not sure about the us), well I can understand that, but I think you have a point when you say that there not sports. However, they must require a great deal of concentration and skill, and it can be quite demanding on the drivers physically, with the environment, and pressure of g's etc, so in all honesty, I would still call motoracing a sport... (not forgetting the fact that it is competetive).... Thanks guys.. Webber

If anyone has watched a NASCAR race and viewed the interviews afterwards, you would see how exhausting and draining it is on drivers - and I mean both physically and mentally... sometimes drivers can hardly speak at the end of a race because they are so exhausted.It isn't just about sitting and driving... no true sport is that simple! :lol: Drivers honestly have to concentrate and use their brains while racing... one slip-up and they are screwed - whether it be them crashing, losing a position, whatever. Definitely not just "sitting and driving"! ^_^Did you know drivers lose upwards of 10 pounds each race? Or that they have to drink tons of water before each race because, otherwise, they could become dehydrated? OR, how about the fact that the inside of a car, during a race, can reach around 145-150 degrees?If that isn't a sport, I don't know what is! :D

Edited by Erin (see edit history)

Anything that requires great physical skill, endurance, and effort should be considered a sport. NASCAR fits all three of those criteria in my opinion. I can't imagine having to drive and manuever for HOURS under that kind of stress. Anyway, what do you guys think of the "sports" that don't involve direct competition, but are scored subjectively by a panel of judges. I'm talking about things like the high dive and ice skating. Those things do require physical skill, but I think direct competition is a big part of what makes something a sport. I'm a little wary of things that have to be decided by a panel of people who could potentially have biases and/or be bribed to give a certain score.

There has been argument over whether the likes of Chess and Darts (even if its in the pub) is a sport or not... However, I think thats more of a game that needs to use brains rather than a sport.

as of late poker players and hot dog eating contestants are being called atheletes. yeah I agree that there should be a line drawn somewhere. Personally I was watching the X games today and I was acknowledging the fact that I watched the first through like 5th X games and all of a sudden they are having like ski mobiles and motorcross and dirt bike stunt competitions. It is ridiculoous. I would rather watch a well trained well conditioned athlete perform to his very best than rely on machinery to equip him with his abilities.

Edited by wesXking (see edit history)

Ok do you know anything about the sport of Motocross or NASCAR?

What Constitutes As Sports Today?

If you think either of these sports don't require any work physical work you are dead worng. Nascar and Motocross tend to have a higher heart rate during a race and the same amount of phycical activity then those of World Class Road Cyclists. Do your research before you down play a Sport you know nothing about. Did you know that on Average a Motorcross rider has about a 5-7 year span becasue of the Physcial strain on thier bodys where as a Football player has a 10-15 year span in both of these sports these are the top atheltes not just some looser . I have played football for four years and I have ridin Motocross for 10 and am now a solider and the most strain on my body I have ever experinced in my life was from Motocross

-reply by inIZ