xisto Community
barnes

What Is A Holga?

The Holga is a camera. It was once known for being one of the worst cameras ever made, but now, its a cult camera known for taking dark, omnious photos. Almost every shot looks like it was taken 50 years ago. Its really an amazing style, and is very popular these days. Here are some example photos taken with Holga's.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

Taken from here.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

Taken from here.

Here is a picture of the Holga it self.

Posted Image

It shoots with 120 film, but is known to be very simple to modify to shoot standard 35mm film. The camera costs about 20 dollars. I'm ordering mine today. :)

Edited by barnes (see edit history)

Hmmm... isn't it better to get a good digital camera (like my 7.2 MegaPixel Sony Cyber-shot :() and then Photoshop the image to get a good effect like the 'Holga'. This way you have good pictures and the "dark, omnious photos" you want via Photoshop :).

That is pretty nice. I bet a lot of film makers use that when they want to create old photos that are used in investigating a crime scene and what not. I am sure a lot of people would like to have pictures sort of like that. It is nice to still be able to take those kinds of pictures but personally I don't have a use for it.

Isn't Holga the name of one of the main characters in an old witch tale? I don't know, it's just that kind of name. And now that I think of it, wasn't the camera a cause for conspiracy theories a while ago?But, looking at these photos, I can see why Holga is classed as "A cult camera known for taking dark, omnious photos", but I really think that it's a cool effect. If I could find a way to buy that camera here in the UK I would.

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

Why do you want a camera that can shoot in black and white? When you can get a camera that shoots color and its a digital and use Photoshop CS2 or something and fix it up. But as stated below, maybe if your a professional photographer, and someone wants black and white or something with a "old" look in it, then I guess the photo guy should use that.Anyways, when did they first come out, and what was the purpose?

I'm not sure te exact time the camera came out, but it was a good while ago. The purpose was pretty much a dirt cheap medium format camera that look liked a 35mm SLR.

The camera came out in 1982, and made cheap for the Chinese market so they could affort a camera.Because of its cheap lens, plastic box case, it gives the effects barnes has so kindly shown us.It just goes to show how aesthetics have changed. How mediocrity rules and how ugliness and discord are appreciated in place of beauty and harmony.

It just goes to show how aesthetics have changed. How mediocrity rules and how ugliness and discord are appreciated in place of beauty and harmony.

Well put sir. :)

I think there is alot more you can do with a holga that you can no just replicate in photoshop. Lightleaks are hard to recreate, and double exposures won't come out as nice as they do with a real camera.