xisto Community
odomike

Dell Laptop Vga Problem

Here I come againAnother of my clients also have a problem with his Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. The problem is with the VGA. When you turn on the laptop it display but immediately after the boot screen (uses Win XP Pro w/SP2), the display goes off.This type of problem also occurs on my desktop with my nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128MB) but I always resolve the isue by booting in save mode and uninstalling the video driver. After that, I will reboot in normall mode and then reinstall the video driver and everything will be alright.I have done that for this Dell laptop but that didnt solve its problem. I have also gone to the Dell support website and downloaded the latest driver for the video hardware. I have also installed this driver on the laptop but that still didnt solve the problem.I also noticed that whenever a projector is connected to the laptop, it displays from the projector witout any problems.I dont know what else to do.Please help me with any suggestions as to how to resolve the problem. Thanks for your anticipated help.

What resolution did you setup in Windows ?Not all TFT screens can handle any resolution , look in the manual for the correct res.(800x600 or 1024 x 768 , ... )When you connect the projector (or a spare monitor) you can try several settings ...When you boot up in Safe mode the resulation will be 640x480 (the old VGA standard).

ya..u go to safe mode and see the resolution ..set to the lowest the reoboot your computer.. u see it does help or not. if cannot .. try the last resort.. format and reinstall everything.. if that also cannot , probably is the hardware problem

What resolution did you setup in Windows ?
Not all TFT screens can handle any resolution , look in the manual for the correct res.
(800x600 or 1024 x 768 , ... )
When you connect the projector (or a spare monitor) you can try several settings ...
When you boot up in Safe mode the resulation will be 640x480 (the old VGA standard).

Well, I have actually tried all that. I have tried to boot it in save mode. Yea, it did boot properly till desktop in the save mode but when I restarted it again, the same thing happened again and the screen went off again immediately after the boot screen.

The monitor has a 17inch LCD monitor and it was previously @ 1024x768 pixels screen resolution. Someone suggested to me that we should call the Dell Support team to know what they are going to say about the problem but I think that a reformat of the HDD and reinstyallation of all the factory firmwares and programs should solve the problem.

I am yet to get the permission from my client to do that though.

uh.. maybe you have your graphic card set on external monitor display. Try to press and hold the "fn" or function key on your laptop keyboard and look for another key that has something like "crt/lcd" and press it with the fn key. If it doesn't work, then wait for a few second and press it again to switch to a different setting. There are multiple settings.I don't know if it will work in safe mode, but you can right click on your desktop and the menu should have extra options than normal computer like "graphics options" and "display modes". Try to set it to the one that applies to you.

what is wrong with your 6000? the dells are having major problems lately huh? i had a dell, and it just exploded two weeks ago. let me give you the solution to all of your dell problems and buy a new computer.

Dell Inspiron crashes and won

Dell Laptop Vga Problem

My dell Inspiron 6000 crashes after 3-4 hours with screen just displying a red or blue and then won't restart for hours, fan and other heat devices seems to be working fine, any guesses?

-Mike

Try installing other versions of drivers, such as instead of going to Dell, go to nVidia's site and get theirs, if not, move on to modified versions. This might sound pointless, but my nVidia 7600 GS wont accept drivers from nVidia or from the manufacturer's website, I have to use NGO which for some reason don't cause problems. So all in all, newer isn't always better.

A Pic of the Vga Cord keeps popping up I have done everything tech suport told me to do can someone please help me stop it from popping up ? -question by Crystali

inspiron 1150Dell Laptop Vga ProblemWe use this laptop to check in at school. Today it is making a click noise and will not boot. When I press F1, it states there is no hard drive. If I press f12, it won't go past the date. So how do I start it in safe mode?-reply by Annette

Dell Laptop ProblemDell Laptop Vga Problem

My Dell laptop has failed to display whenever it is switched on. This started some days after I installed a game. Each time I switch on the pc, the screen brightens gradually and nothing can be seen on the screen. You cannot even enter safe mode because you don't see all the usual functions/instructions etc on the screen when booting. Finally, you hear the windows sound indicating the pc has booted to windows.

I tried to connect the vga card to an external monitor but the external monitor did not display at all.

pls I need serious help on this issue and urgently too. Am confused, what do I do?

-reply by Adavize

400 seriesDell Laptop Vga Problem

The 400 Dell series has some defaults set up since it is designed to be a 'travel' laptop.  First, you have to plug in anything first, (ie. VGA, LAN, etc) for it to recognize on startup. 

Sounds like you've got a bad HD, since it cannot recognize it.  If it's new, it will still be under warranty so call Dell.  If not, have your IT (technical) network person look at it.

-reply by bryan

I just bought a DELL Studio 15 and right out of the undamaged box the the boot up was very dark.  Tried it again and rotated the angle of the screen and it worked!  It is being returned so it can be repaired.  It is my +15th computer and my first and last DELL.  Also I learned that after you sign up with Sprint for EDOV and then you decide to return a defective computer for credit you still need to pay the $200 cancelation charge of the wireless account.  The laptop was ordered with an INTERAL WIRELESS CONNECTION.  Better to get USB style connector so if the computer gets damaged or returned you can plug the USB into another device for internet!