xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mik

Peace Plan To End The Iraq War

The London Times today published an article headed "Peace deal offers Iraq insurgents an amnesty" that goes on to say:

THE Iraqi Government will announce a sweeping peace plan as early as Sunday in a last-ditch effort to end the Sunni insurgency that has taken the country to the brink of civil war.

The 28-point package for national reconciliation will offer Iraqi resistance groups inclusion in the political process and an amnesty for their prisoners if they renounce violence and lay down their arms, The Times can reveal.

The Government will promise a finite, UN-approved timeline for the withdrawal of all foreign troops from Iraq; a halt to US operations against insurgent strongholds; an end to human rights violations, including those by coalition troops; and compensation for victims of attacks by terrorists or Iraqi and coalition forces.

It will pledge to take action against Shia militias and death squads. It will also offer to review the process of ?de-Baathification? and financial compensation for the thousands of Sunnis who were purged from senior jobs in the Armed Forces and Civil Service after the fall of Saddam Hussein ...

This plan has the US ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad's fingerprints all over it, for some reason he is given a free rein by Bush, for example, he is the only American allowed to talk to the Iranians, I think this plan has a chance because, assuming it is Zalmay's plan, then Bush will have endorsed it while it can be presented to Iraqis as the first act of their newly elected sovereign government, Z. will have talked to all the main sunni factions that he can identify, hoping that if they are willing to deal, they will be able to persuade the littler factions to come along, the sunnis and shia might still have a small part of them telling them to be IRAQIS first and foremost rather than fractious sunnis and fractious shias, everyone must be tired of the war, most would probably see it as a great way of getting rid of the Americans, think about it, it is the first plan for three plus years that hasn't been "stay the course", also the IRA laid down their arms after 30 years so strange things do sometimes happen, I don't expect peace to suddenly break out all over Iraq, but it would be a way of giving the troops a well earned rest before they were sent to conquer the next country on Bush's list, probably Iraq again.

lol what is funny to me is sometimes they are called insurgents and sometimes alqaida , but whatever name they all have one goal in common , chase america out of their soil and hurt americans as much as they can, but americans are barking loudly that they dont negotiate with terrorists ,so whenever they are forced to do so they become insurgents who are otherwise always alqaida who ofcourse are the terrorists ,in addition to the countless failures by the bush regime they were forced to come to the table with terrorists in afghanistan , in iraq when moqtada al sadur came up as a major opponent of american presence american generals threatened and called out for his death , but finally they found out he is much more powerful and danjerous to be killed so again the kill 'em all are invited to the table , i can imagine the policy makers in america pulling their hairs off over what to do next and i am damn sure bush cannnot be sleeping the nights he did before he waged an illegal war against a sovereign nation , the iraqi ghost will always be hovering over his head kicking him every now and then , peace in iraq is unlikely even within this decade or the next one , if there has to be peace people will have to forget so many things , the goverments have to change so it can be atleast more legitimate , what i cant understand is why on earth the worlds greatest nation be so dumb ,