xisto Community
Plenoptic

Using Fingers Instead Of Credit Cards

LoL you can definitely steal finger credit cards. All you need is a knife! :(

It would be a lot -harder- to steal them though. You can reach into someone's pocket and pull out a wallet, but it's a lot harder to chop off someone's finger stealthily. :(

I could see that being bad in prisons and POW situations. :)

Blood samples are a good idea. I'd hate to get poked every time I wanted to pay for something though. What if you made like 80 purchases in a day? That's a lot of holes in your finger.

Blood samples are a good idea. I'd hate to get poked every time I wanted to pay for something though. What if you made like 80 purchases in a day? That's a lot of holes in your finger.

You know I was thinking the same thing and you might run out of blood. I figured anyone could stab you though just for your blood and they can go to the store and say oh don't worry I just cut myself unless they have some sort of ID come up on the computer that allows the cashier to identify who that person really is. I guess the license thing would be needed still to go through this process or something like that but then you wouldn't need a blood sample u would just need a form of identification with the fingerprint.

You know I was thinking the same thing and you might run out of blood. I figured anyone could stab you though just for your blood and they can go to the store and say oh don't worry I just cut myself unless they have some sort of ID come up on the computer that allows the cashier to identify who that person really is. I guess the license thing would be needed still to go through this process or something like that but then you wouldn't need a blood sample u would just need a form of identification with the fingerprint.

I think there's few things easier than credit cards, aside from maybe telepathic purchasing.

A good idea might be to use a heat sensor with the fingerprint scanner. This way chopped off fingers/fingerprints wouldn't work (generally).It might also be good to place the fingerprint scanner inside of a long shaft so that you would have to reach back to scan your print. This would cut down on fake fingerprints as well as cut off fingers (imagine trying to press a cut of finger onto a scanner pad).This new technology sounds great and multiple times more secure than credit cards!

I personally don't like it. All the government uses it for is to track what we buy. I think we should have taht information withheld and kept to ourselves. Just my opinion, and it may even be a harsh one. But see then the government can look up a person's ID with their fingerprint, and see what they bought, where they go, what they do, etc. Just seems like an invasion of privacy to me.

Plenoptic, that's the future, biometrics, fingerprinting, and more, with the use of the high technology, and you know that technology is allways developing, updating all he time for all and any reasons.The most "big" enterprises already use that technique, and it is very simple, imagine you was working with the well known program named "Microsoft Access", now, when you create a table, and when you go enter new fields, you have allways, in a database, in all tables, insert the field for the "primary key" which has values that can not repeat, they must not repeat, for example, fingerprints (it is a primary key because there are not 2 different fingerprints in the world, and it will never be, well, except if you manipulate genetics, but there is another field of research, and a very important one!), social security numbers, ID numbers, etc..., they all need to be unique for each line of the table of the database.So, they arranged a way to insert those unique fingerprints in the informatics payments method into those machines that require you finger (fingerprint) for you to pay.I could explain you better, but i don't have time, this is a highly complex but interesting area.

I saw this on the news the other day and they were talking about stores that take your fingerprint instead of using credit cards. There are a couple thousand stores I think there are that do this. Instead of swiping your credit card you leave your finger print and the computer searches your finger print in the system to match it up with the person.
I think there are a couple flaws in the system though. People will go around cutting people's fingers off to go to an ATM and steal all their money. I think that there should be a PIN number for each card to help keep this from occurring. But there are also people around the world with no hands. Then what are they gonna do?

What do you all think of this idea?

I agree. There are going to be alot of people missing fingers soon lol! Im sure there is a way to lift the print as well and create a fake print using some sort of dummie material. The PIN number is a good idea at least you can keep your thumb lol. Some of the places i work require your entire hand and a pin number. Its good security but i wonder how easy it really is to fake it.

Plenoptic, that's the future, biometrics, fingerprinting, and more, with the use of the high technology, and you know that technology is allways developing, updating all he time for all and any reasons.
The most "big" enterprises already use that technique, and it is very simple, imagine you was working with the well known program named "Microsoft Access", now, when you create a table, and when you go enter new fields, you have allways, in a database, in all tables, insert the field for the "primary key" which has values that can not repeat, they must not repeat, for example, fingerprints (it is a primary key because there are not 2 different fingerprints in the world, and it will never be, well, except if you manipulate genetics, but there is another field of research, and a very important one!), social security numbers, ID numbers, etc..., they all need to be unique for each line of the table of the database.

So, they arranged a way to insert those unique fingerprints in the informatics payments method into those machines that require you finger (fingerprint) for you to pay.

I could explain you better, but i don't have time, this is a highly complex but interesting area.

lol I know this already and that is why I brought it up because it is cool. I get why they use it and how it works I just wanted to bring it up for others to read and share their thoughts. It may seem secure but it really isn't that simple. Yes they are using it but the bigger it gets the more missing fingers you might find. Someone will find a way to hack the system unless something else is done.

fibnger prints eh, last i heard they actually upgraded to blood vessels. that it, they scan the veins and bloodflow inside your fingers as each persons is unique. this stops the whole finger print copying schemes and should also stop the idea of cutting epoples fingers off as they have to have blood running through, i'm not sure it thats a fact, but i do know they they scan the vein structure of the finger. its still in testing i think so it wont be around for a while.

Well I agree people without hands would have other methods probably, but still, those ATM's could get dirtier if they used a method like toe prints or something like that. I mean that is the only other alternative that I see so...

Oh, here's another issue...what if someone with a disease like AIDS or even something like SARS or Anthrax decides to be a *BLEEP* and leave some blood (or substance) on or around the scanner? very not cool.

Oh, here's another issue...what if someone with a disease like AIDS or even something like SARS or Anthrax decides to be a *BLEEP* and leave some blood (or substance) on or around the scanner? very not cool.

Wow that really wouldn't be good. I really think we should post this topic to the people who made this system and are using it in places in the US and I guess Japan but you know if you think about it it is a finger print but it would occur the same way anyway with a credit card there or taking bags out into their cart. I don't think people cut their fingers on the scanner anyway.

After doing some more research you can view a demo and what not at http://ww1.paybytouch.com/ In fact they are doing this in a store about 20 minutes away from me and I might have to go check it out. I guess you have to enter a Search Number and then you choose what type of payment you would like to use but this system doesn't charge any fees like the credit card company.

it's not a fingerprint

The Pay By Touch service does not use actual fingerprints, but instead takes tiny measurements from your finger which are unique to you. These measurements are converted into a mathematical equation, encrypted and securely stored.

it's private

No one, not even the cashier, can see what you use to pay so check-out with confidence, knowing your payment method is discreet. Neither the merchant nor Pay By Touch will sell your personal information to others for their marketing purposes, ever.

After a quick one-time sign up, you can use the Pay By Touch service at any participating merchant!

Like it says I guess it doesn't even use a finger print but measurement.s
Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

LoL you can definitely steal finger credit cards. All you need is a knife! :)
And IMHO, that would be such a bad idea to come out with that as a replacement for credit cards. At least with credit cards, if it's stolen, you can call in and have it deactivated, then call and get another. If your finger is stolen, you're pretty much screwed.

Very funny about the knife, but it is tru all someone has to do is cut off you finger. You are also right about when you credit card is stolen you can just call it in a get it deactivated and get a new one you wouldn't be able to do that with a finger.

The same thing could happen anywhere, anyplace, anytime. You just have to be carefull in public places.

this reminds me of in back to the future 2!speaking of fingerprints, i've also seen the fingerprint-protected hard drives. not exactly sure how they work, but the idea is REALLY cool