xisto Community
wariorpk

Phpbb 3 (aka Olympus) First Beta Version Release Beta Version Of The Third PHPbb

For the last month or so I have been going to https://www.phpbb.com/ because I really wanted a somewhat stable PHPbb to be realeased. It has a lot of features that finally allow it to compete with Invision Power Board such as their warn system. The three years we waited were worth it because it really got better since version 2. On https://www.phpbb.com/ . The only thing is they don't really have much support right now so if you run into a problem your gonna have to fix it yourself.

Obtaining Support
During the beta phase a minimal level of support will be given. We will provide answers to general setup questions, configuration problems and support for determining common problems mostly related to bugs. We will not support modifications, custom code/style additions or any users using the beta packages within a live environment.

For some support questions we may ask you to re-install the beta, clean tables in the database, purge data or other actions which are not advised to do in a live environment. So please be aware that you are still on your own if you run the beta in such an environment.

Beginning with the release candidates full support will of course be given.

Edited by wariorpk (see edit history)

PhpBB is no doubt one of the best forum systems which is available for free. However, the management is not so easy. I had used the forum in the past and security problem has been the problem. Each time someone manages to hack the forum now and then. But still I like the forum because it is very comfortable to view pages the way the forum is built. And it is free after all. And all the time the developers manage to patch up the holes found. But this beta release I'm not going to test out. I'll wait till the stable version is out. Thanks for informing us though.

PhpBB is a great program as it ties into PhPNuke so well. In order to have IPB and a PhPnuke site, the forums need to be external. With PhpBB its all on one UI and you only need to manage one site. Although, IPB takes the cake in features, looks, and security. I still use IPB, but Im defidentally going to try out the new BB.-Society-

Oh that's really nice, phpbb has been one of the major forum software over the past years, espessially when IPB stripped their free licences phpbb was able to take over a lot of new users. I have been using phpbb ever since IPB wasn't free anymore, both standalone but also integrated into portal software...

I've had my own PHPbb forum in the past (a year ago). As I remember back then phpbb was far more popular, Invision Power Board was just at the beginning of the road. Of course Invision Power Board is now far better the PHPbb, but if you ask me PHPbb stilll has the greatest look... far more use-friendly.

I hope this release won't be crap. So far I've seen that they're crap compared to other free boards in features. Heck, YaBB surpasses them in usefulness. As to IPB, there is no free alternative that can even begin to compare to 2.x that I know of. Of course, I'm speaking from an administrators point of view.

The phpBB 3 beta system was just released several days ago. It is, by far, the best forum system I've ever used. It far surpasses the vBulletin, and it is only in its beta stage! Take a look at it at https://www.phpbb.com/ (it should be under the news/announcements sidebar on the front page).

The ergonomics and newly-improved interface of the system makes it a much easier-, and funner-to-use system for forum-browsing and forum-administrating. Here's a screenshot of the administration panel:

Posted Image

Notice from serverph:
merged with EXISTING thread of same topic. use the FORUM search to avoid duplicate threads of same topic. or use the Xisto search plugin for firefox.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/37456-repost-Xisto-search-plug-in-for-mozilla-firefox-make-fluid-searches-on-Xisto-originally-by-me/

also, edited image as thumbnail for distorting page in lower screen resolutions.