xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JC05

Phone Cord Splicing

Ok, I have a question. I take a phone cord that has four of those little gold prongs inside, plug it into the jack in the wall and then strip the other end off. Then I separate the four little prongs into two?s. Then I take two more phone cords. But these ones only have two little prongs each. So I strip one end off each one then take the stripped ends and put the two from one and splice them together with the one that had four, and take the other phone cord that only has two and splice that into the remaining two from the cord that had four. I now have two cords running out of one line that had four little prongs and each of the two now only has two prongs each. So if I take one and plug that into one computer, and take the other and plug that into another computer, Can I connect both at the same time?

I guess you are meaning a Dial-up connetion by phone.

First of all have you 1 or 2 phone lines by you telephone provider.
Each line access uses 2 wires (in Belgium white and blue (1st pair) and green and lila (2nd pair) )

So the following can be true :
If you have 1 telephone line (PSTN) you can make only 1 connection to the outside.
If you have 1 telephone line (ISDN) you can make 2 connections to the outside.
If you have 2 telephone lines (PSTN) you can also make 2 connections to the outside.

If you have only 1 line with 1 connection you can can get both computers online with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Then you have to get a network card in both computers and connect those 2 with a crossed UTP cable (sometimes even the telephone cable can be used / all 4 wires !!! )

You setup the PC with the Dial conenction as server and the other as client and it should work.
You can even share the printer and some folders on both computers this way.

If you don't like ICS, you also use 602 Lan suite (witch is free for 5 users).

Wow, that looks complicated. I think i get it though. In order to do it the easy way you basicly set up a network connection between two computers, then get a connections sharing thing going. Too bad, I was hopeing there was a cheaper, easier way. :) I guess I will stick to what I have for now. Thanks though for the help.

If you need a cheaper solution you can also make a serial connection by the serial port between the 2 computers. (if the distance is not that far).Here you have also 2 possibilities (you make a basic cable with 3 wires (send / transmit /ground) ).Or a full cable with more cables (like RTS , ... ).The max speed of this type of connection is 115 kbps. (this is the double speed of you dial up connection).Every old PC has a serial port so you don't have to invest in extra hardware.Just 2 serial connectors and some wires (or a made cable from the store).I think in the store you can also buy some USB crosscables to make a connection with USB.Any connection between the 2 computers will work if it's capable transporting IP pakkets.