xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dselley

Cannot Access Cpanel Or Ftp

Does anyone know why I cannot access Cpanel or FTP. Whenever I try to access Cpanel I just get an error 404 page cannot be displayed and whenever I try to access Ftp it just says cannot connect.But if I go through a proxy I can acces Cpanel fine. Can anybody help meThanks in advance.

okay with our more details we cannnot pin point the problem i can only suggest that you make sure your adresses re correct for example you cpanel is at http://ww38.yoursite.com/cpanel or http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and you ftp is ftp.yoursite.com or ftp.yoursite.trap17.com adn your user name is what you set it to earlyer in the proccess and the password is what you set earlyer, if you have only just activated your hosting package in the last few hours then you may need to wait before you cna start usign it! this happend to me but a bit of patience and then it started working, if you cannot get it to work then pm a mod or admin and they can help your further by testing your account, for example see if they can loggin to it, so yeah give it a little whizz and see what happens adn you will soon have some of the best hosting around!!!

Well I have just activated my account a few hours ago so this may be the problem so I will wait a couple of days and see. But its strange that I can access it through a proxy and the web address is working fine.

I have waited a few days and I still cannot access Cpanel or Ftp. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be the problem. Using SmartFtp the error to connect is "A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host." Can anybody help me please?

You're completely sure that you have the right addresses? AND the right username/password combinaion? I had a problem before because I forgot that my username was different than I usually had it. Other than that I have no clue either. You could post your site name here and see if one of us can reach it to make sure it's not just your computer.

Please PM me your password.Your cpanel is loading just fine. Just in case, have you clicked YES when the browser security authentication window pops-up? Without that you cannot log into Xisto cPanel.Your site is also working as it should. Nice Coppermine Photo Gallery :) How are you accessing your FTP, using which software etc.UPDATEJune 16, 6:17pm (GMT -5)I was able to access your cpanel. Please see the attached image. As you can see your personal informations have been blocked/deleted.Try using FileZilla instead of SmartFTP. In the past SmartFTP's unique protocal had issues with Xisto FTP secure connection.

Well I have tried using filezilla now and still cannot connect. I have also tried connecting to cpanel again and still cannot do that either. I have no idea what the problem is as I cannot even connect to the FTP or cpanel. Does it matter what country you are in as I live in the UK. When I goto my cpanel address it does think about connecting the loading bar across the bottom is slowly going across for about 20 seconds then it just says page cannot be displayed so I do not know if its a timeout or my IP has been denied for some reason.

Edited by dselley (see edit history)

well i went to the link you provided and it asked me for your username and password, so from the looks of things your cpanel and your ftp should be working fine, or well it deos on my computer, i really hope that you cna get online to your account because Xisto is a fantastic service and is well worth posting for, but yeah its all working fine at my end and no it does not matter what country your form im form the uk as well and mine works perfectly, maybe as you say it could be your isp or your host that is mucking it up, try logging into your account with firefox and ie because im using both and it works fine on both on my pc, so good luck and i hope you getin soon, maybe you could pm a mod or admin and see if they can reset your hosting account, it may cost you a few credits but its worth it to get this great hsoting (sorry im not trying to rub it in its the truth) any ways pm a admin or a mod and go form there they shoudl be able to sort out the problem, also one other idea mayeb its a long shot but try turing off your firewall and stuff see what happens then!

Try this:1. Ensure you have the correct username/password combination. I actually forgot my password because I was too dependant on Firefox to remember it.2. Use AceFTP, FileZilla or FireFTP. I have ensured that these 3 will work. FileZilla have had trouble connecting the first few times but it was okay after that.3. For access to cPanel, try using Firefox, Netscape, Mozilla, SeaMonkey or another similar browser. AOL, Internet Explorer, Avant Browser and other Trident-layout browsers have had trouble loading the page. Opera is still untested (by me).4. Remember to click Yes or OK when the Browser security certificate appears.5. If FTP fails, try typing in \ftp site} in Internet Explorer or Avant Browser.6. If cPanel fails, try clearing Browser Cache and Browser History. Restart the computer and retry access.Hope this helps. Please post if there are further problems.

When I goto my cpanel address it does think about connecting the loading bar across the bottom is slowly going across for about 20 seconds then it just says page cannot be displayed so I do not know if its a timeout or my IP has been denied for some reason.

When using IE or FF you should see a pop-up window (Security Alert) asking you to continue with secure authentication site. If you are not seeing this pop-up window, perhaps that's why you cannot log into your cpanel. As far as FTP software not connecting I'm hoping your FTP account settings are incorrect.

Try this:
1) update your browser security level by updating all browser patches
2) if you have pop-up blocker try without blocker enabled
3) if you have firewall try with firewall disabled - and then try FTP as well
4) use another computer, i.e. from a library, school or friend's, see if your ISP or IP is blocked etc.

There is no security alert on my pc. But I did login to cpanel using a proxy the other day. So it must be my connection. I'll try resetting my IP address and if that does not work then i'll ask a friend to see if they can connect then i'll report back here.UPDATEOK i've just asked a friend to try it and he is on the same ISP as me and i've just reset my IP and it still doesn't work so I'm goin to mess about with the firewall and router and stuff and see if I can get it working.

Try disabling your firewall, router and pop-up blockers.If you can get it working that way, just allow/trust all connections to  on ALL ports.Also, ensure correct FTP settings are selected in your FTP program.Did you try my tips in the previous post?

OK i've got it working on Windows Vista Beta 2 so it isn't my router. I've disabled my firewall and still the problem persists. So it must be the operating system or something in it. I've also disabled popup blockers and tried everything firefoxrocks has suggested.