xisto Community
husker

Of Mice And Men

I have to read, Of Mice and Men for school (I'm going into ninth grade). I was trying to take the easy route and buy sparknotes, but my mom wouldn't let me. So far it's pretty boring. I have to take notes on it too. :rolleyes: Has anyone read this book? Is it a good book?

I've never read it, the title sounds boring to me. Sparknotes work really well, we had to do a book report for Composition I this year and I picked a book, read some of it, and then just used sparknotes for the rest. The teacher was impressed at my level of understanding of the book, because it was a really high-level book (Fahrenheight 451). The parts I read were pretty understandable. What do you mean by Sparknotes? I just googled Fahrenheight 451 and found a huge amount of summaries.

ive read the book in 9th grade, i began to like it, if you was to really understand and pay attention to the book and give it a chance. It would prolly begin to like it yourself, its honestly not that bad. At the end i think Lenny dies hah I THINK its been so long. That was back in 9th grade and im not graduating this year heh

well i understood it really good when the teacher read it to us, she would always put as much expression into it as much as she could. and plus she goes over what we read so we completely understand. So heh just try lookin up on the sparknotes and read carefully because they should show you a free summary of the book chapter by chapter and explain what every little scene is about.

Ok, sounds good. Was it hard to understand the old time writing?

Even if you do not like the book you should read it just for the excellent old time writing it is. You will then understand how creative and well written thes books are at the highest level. You do not get this level of writing exellence with current day authors.
John Steinbeck is one of the best.

I read this book this year (last semester). Personally I found the book exciting until the end, and in the end the story was just ruined (IMHO). For an assignment, I requested if I could do an alternative ending and I did do one.John Steinbeck is a great author and I liked his other books like 'The Pearl'. So, overall reading this book is a great thing, and just make up an alternate ending for your satisfaction :rolleyes:

It's not a bad book at all, it's actually pretty good, and fairly short at that. I read it a few years ago and it would be really easy to just go ahead and read the book. I remember my incoming freshman year I had to read three books, and they were all extremely long and boring, so be happy :rolleyes:. Sparknotes won't work after a while.. you're probably going to have to write essays and such, and sparknotes don't have that much detail.

Is that the only thing they give to do while reading, taking notes!!! Lucky you, they give us in 8th grade to read a book plus to summarize it and then memorize the summarize to represent it orally in front of the class, the teacher (very tough) ask also questions on the story and if you don't know the answer then you will be lucky to stay alive. The story is usually 200 pages minimum. So thank God that your teacher give as much as that to do. I wish I could get out of my school.P.S: Sorry for getting out of the subject of the topic.

I'm going into 10th grade, and I read Of Mice and Men in 8th grade. It wasn't a very exciting read, though the book was definitely not boring. It was quite short and to the point, so it didn't lag around explaining pointless stuff as much as some other books do. I liked it more than disliked it.But yeah I would never suggest not reading a book you and everyone else are reading. My friend held off reading all the books that he read in his Honors english class (at the most academically challenging school in San Francisco), and had to read The Oddesy along with like 4 other novels/books for his final at the last minute and like got a D or maybe an F. So it isn't the smartest thing to do.

Well for those who read the book and did not think outside the box this book was more then a story it was a fact of life.This story delt with the great depression and how pretty much everyone had to live, drifting the roads trying to find a way to survive with little food, little water and rags for clothes and of course having that dream that they can live the good life after suffing through this great depression.In this case this story had to deal with difficult decisions and sacrafices George had to make especially with Lennie. So not to ruin the book completely I won't tell you which ones they are.I wouldn't be bashingg reat books like this, cause it was based on truth and who knows another great depression could happen. It has happen 3 times in the history of the USA and with the 1929 depression being the hardest hit. The other 2 was 1984 and we almost had a scare in 2001 when the stock market fell hard. Also if another one was to hit the whole world would be in chaos since everyone is tied into US currency.So insteading of saying its boring book I read into it a bit more and you will see the true suffering people had.

I just read it in school and it's an amazing book, although kinda violent. If you don't want to read it, watch the film, then you'll understand it better.  Just search 'of mice and men' on youtube. It made half of the people in my class cry buckets-reply by Tilda

I've read it.I think it's a good book.I think it's rathertouching so to speak,for want of a better term.The way the one guy looks out for the big simpleton,who always wants to hear what it will be like tohave a farm with rabbits. The ending is interesting.He kills his friend because he knew he'dnever get away and prison life would be a real torture for him. It's a tragic story that for some reason reminds me of "The grapes of wrath".Another really good book

Edited by networker (see edit history)

<p>I just read it in school and it's an amazing book, although kinda violent. <strong> If you don't want to read it, watch the film, then you'll understand it better.  </strong>Just search 'of mice and men' on youtube. It made half of the people in my class cry buckets<em>-reply by Tilda</em></p>

Very good book. as for the movie? good in it's day. would love to see a remake of it. now that would be a very good movie for sure. thing is with movie standard what would the rating be? ( R ) or ( PG-17 ) or the dreaded ( MA )
with it being a classic I do not think they would remake it though. would be like making Gone with the wind into a comic book. stupid.

it is not bad. I read it when I was in the ninth grade and I'm in the international baccalaureate program right noe and I have to read it again. It is a very easy read. It took me less than an hour to finish it. It is a very touching book and the literary features of this book is brilliant, it is not very obvious though. I don't use sparknotes though it is detailed it is not your interpretation of the text, so it differs. Personally, I suggest you read it.

by the way, the movie or the audiobook is not good.