xisto Community
realthor

I'be Got A Winxp Strange Error I Suspect Mught Be A Virus

I've made a PrintScreen of the error, it appears after a fresh install and i suspect that until the antivirus has updated its viruslist my computer might have been scanned and infected somehow. The attachement presents the file with the eroor. The problem is that the message changes every time it pops and it pps from say 30 to 30 min. Sometimes it sais about myregfix.com other times other websites this has to be a trojan something...again, i can't believe it...this time there were like 10 such alert windows one behind another, just closing the above one and the next one apperared underneath.How can i get rid of this?

yes its a virus and no don't do what it says best bet is up all anti-virus software you have installed, and see if any of them can pick them up. If not try spybot or any other free spyware removal programs to try to clean that out.If not successful in cleaning it out you may have to reboot your hole system, since that virus is a hijack virus in which the person who put it in will basically black mail you in order to have it removed.

I don't think its a virus but spam, through the windows messenger service, these are very common. The best thing to do if you are not on a network would be to disable the messenger service. You can do this by going to start>run and type services.msc then scroll down to messenger then stop the service by right clicking and pressing stop then right click and goto properties. Then where it says startup type choose from the list and press disabled then press apply. This should stop those messages.

I wouldn't say its common in fact the only way to pull that off is through a messenger hack. but another suggestion would be to clean out your cookies, history folders and what not in all the browsers that you use. If you clean out your caches that helps sometimes. Also use your system tools and do a disk clean up to remove any outdated or junk files as well.

It is not very very common but it usually happens to computers that have not got Service Pack 1 installed. I think the messenger service is disabled by default in SP1 and SP2.

actually i might have a version of windows without service pack, i didn't care much. I reinstalled my system a few days ago and i deleted from /windows the windows messenger directoty as i knew it might be a system security issue but i'm not sure that by deleting it the problem is solved. It didn't uninstall through add/remove windows components so i Shift+Deleted it :rolleyes:. Then until the AVG antivirus that i have updated it's virus lists from internet i suspect my computer might have been scanned and infected somehoeThe bad thing is that neither AVG nor Bit Defender Persnal Edition didn't solve the issue.

I recommand using HJT but don't use it except if you know what to do. You can find professional in adware and malware and spyware removal by going to http://www.processlibrary.com/en/ they helped me once in a case similar to you. You download HJT wich is a very powerful adware removal from this site. Then do a scan and save a logfile but don't repair any of the errors found then post this log file in the forums in that site, you will be replied by a pro telling you what to do if you didn't understand the scanning process the people in this site will help do everything. If you want a fast removal of this virus or something than i extremely recommand going to this site as soon as you read this message or you can try your way and good luck with removing it!

A HJT log file may be very useful.Otherwise, to clean you system there are some basic steps : 1. Upgrade to SP2 and make sure you have all the latest patches. Use nLite to create a slipstreamed cd of XP with SP2 (separately downloaded) and Rayan Vm's pack which contains all the necessary patches released after SP2. (both the softwares are freeware)2. Download both AdwareSE and Spybot S&D and update the definition files (do not run scan yet). In Spybot S&D under Immunize click Immunize to protect against all malacious sites. Also udate your AV definations.3. Disable System Restore and reboot in safe mode.4. Run full system scans in AdwareSE, Spybot S&D, and the anti-virus you are having. Fix anything found in the scans. Reboot in normal mode. And if you still have issues then you got to post a HijackThis log file.Also remember to fix all viruses/adwares/spywares only when System restore is disabled.If you want to remove messenger and other Windows components then you can use nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/) to remove them directly from the CD, and make your own custom Windows CD.