xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BOAW

Our Taste Buds...

I dont know how or why this question came up, But do you think puberty also effects out taste buds? becuase i mean when we were small we used to hate our vegies, well most of us, and certain good stuff that we were supposed to eat but didnt like. But later on as i grew up n older i was about to eat my vegies and actually like it. Do you believe puberty could have changed the chemicals in our taste buds to like this stuff or do you think after awhile we have just learned to tolerate it and learn to like it?

I think puberty could effect your taste buds. I know I think some of the food I ate as a kid tastes like cardboard now. I think you could of also acquired a taste for veggies as well. I had to acquire a taste for coffee and tea.

It seems plausible. I think the change occurs not just in puberty, but throughout our lives. For example, my father didn't like herring until he was in his 50s.

It seems plausible. I think the change occurs not just in puberty, but throughout our lives. For example, my father didn't like herring until he was in his 50s.

I agree with you tet. taste buds change throughout our lives to some degree. I checked up a bit on this and they reckon boys develop more a taste for meat at puberty and girls more vegetables and sugar (I supposse that's why we refer to girls by names such as "sugar", "sweetie", "honey", etc). Also taste buds start to deteriorate after about 40 or 50 years old.

I wouldn't say that your taste buds are changing but rather your brain that is changing. The taste of sugar has always been the same for me but I used to prefer eating candies and chocolate more back then than I do now. It wouldn't not be surprising if during puberty that your preference in food changes because it is a time when your brain undergoes many changes.

I think that growing up and puberty also affect the taste buds, food you may have liked as a kid (obviously) may taste yuck now.. while at the same time some food that are eaten by all ages may be good then, but taste like cardboard now.Also while growing up, pretty much everything changes, including the brain as Ariqato says. The taste of sweet foods such as chocolate cake, ice cream, pancakes and to a lesser extent chocolate dishes and so on may have not changed in my experience, but while i was young I preferred the like of jelly babies, jelly beans, and plain chocolate biscuits. Those days, I prefer the likes of tim tams, maltessers, starburst and the like when I get the chance.

Hey nice question indeed!Well our whole body is controlled by hormones. Everything means everything is controlled by hormones!What you like how you will reply and all.And there are more than hormone to control each act.Even a person turning to gay is cause of hormones.When the female hormone increases in male he tends to feel attraction towards guys lolokay so coming to point taste buds are also controlled by hormones and these balance can change anytime due to unknown disorder!So we tend to like different things at different time.Well thats my explanation i hope you got my point

I personally believe that taste buds are alive. They bop around and do their own thing. When you like something, you might not like it if your taste buds where a different gender. Let me give you some information on taste buds.

This picture shows how taste buds have different tastes compared to their location on the tounge and how they differ from other tast buds. https://www.teachercreated.com/lessons/000707psans1.gif

This scientific article explains how taste buds taste.

he tongue contains over 10,000 taste buds, which are sensitive to four basic tastes - sweet, sour, salty, and bitter (some consider umami, associated with glutamate (an amino acid), to be a fifth taste). So how do taste buds detect taste? The web site Nervous System - Taste has a taste animation. Papillae or bumps on the tongue are covered with taste buds. Each taste bud is made up of receptor or taste cells and each receptor or taste cell has a taste hair that is stimulated by food chemicals dissolved in saliva. The taste hair, once stimulated, sends a nerve impulse to the brain and the taste is identified.
Now, what is a "tongue taste map"? It was long believed that taste buds for the four basic tastes - sweet, sour, bitter and salty - were localized within specific areas on the tongue. Taste buds sensitive to a sweet taste were grouped on the tip of the tongue, while taste buds sensitive to a bitter taste were located at the back of the tongue. The taste map is widely found in the literature and still taught in schools today i.e. taste buds, terrific taste buds using jelly beans, and tastes good. But this is no longer believed to be the case. Rather, a single taste bud is thought to contain 50-100 receptor or taste cells representing all 4 taste sensations. This means that receptors for all the tastes are found all over the tongue rather than localized in certain areas. Some areas seem to have more receptors for one kind of taste than for other kinds.

Like to try some experiments involving taste? Great! Let's go.

What is the relationship between taste and the colour of food?

Are taste and smell related (or It's all in the taste buds)?

What is one's taste threshold - the lowest concentration of a particular solution that one can taste (requires adobe acrobat reader - a free download) or a short description of taste sensitivity?

What role does smell, saliva and colour play in how something tastes?