xisto Community
amir691

Install Kazaa And Get $750 Fine

the RIAA is now fining who ever installs kazaa. for those who dont know what kazaa is, kazaa is p2p program. Which allows anyone to be able to download media, like games, music, and videos illegally. there are major electronic companies like sony that are backing this up. some of you might be using limewire so if you use it too much you might want lower your usage because it could fine you some day. bittorrent is much safer.

I saw this article on Digg. It appears as though the RIAA is threatening to sue people who do not pay the fine. The article was very unclear, so I suggest that you read it your self. You can find it linked somewhere on the Digg.com website (it was a recent front page story).

Most people who use programs like that tend to fake their information, especially when its a free program. I've never used Kazaa, but I have seen other programs that are similar that are free. So even if the RIAA did go after the Kazaa Paid users (assuming they have to pay for it), there are still alot of programs that are free that do the same thing. So I don't know how much of an impact they would have on that issue by finding users and given them a fine. Users just will not pay for it and use the free programs.

It could be much worse... My country is due to join the EU and the cops want to look good on tv and in the newspapers so they started "hunting" people using oDC or DC++. Since it my country piracy is over 90% (it couldn't be better since the minimum salary is just over 100$) they do have a lot of people to hunt. It's just like what RIAA did. They connect to local networks, load DC, and look for people with a larger share (around 100GB). After that they get a warrent and search the house and the computer. And the fine is bettween 1000$ and 14000$ plus you can get in jail for over 4 years.Nevertheless I don't think it will make any difference! We are just too poor to afford licences for Windows, Office, etc

I can't believe they would do that or can do that. When you install kazaa it does not mean that you would be downloading illegal stuff it could be used for alot of other things aswell besides that if it was so illegal to use this software they would have done the same as they did to napster when they closed them down. So to me this sounds more like a tactic to scare guys into not using that software anymore because legally they can't do anything else!!! And i would also like to know if anyone has been fined for having this stuff installed yet ??? I am guessing no one has !!

I think one should have the right to install what he or she wants to install on their computer, wether they do illegal things with it or not is totally responsability of the user, so I dont think they should go fining people for just installing the program, besides how would they know this? Does the program have something that alerts the RIAA the moment its installed? Personally I havent used Kazaa in like 2 or 3 years, I use limewire and have not had a single problem with it, and NO im not encouraging and hope Im not encouraging anyone to install these type of programs, or atleast share illegal stuff with them, because where I live there is no problem with these type of programs, and there probably will never be any unless the government here has finished with all the things it has to worry about.

hmm uh oh there really catching up on this stuff now huh. well anyways i heard that kazaa really sucks so i dont have to worry about me trying to install that, but limewire is another thing..there are just so many people that use it thou, i find it VERY RARE that id be caught and fined...but i too have bittorrent and bitcomet. but life is a full of risks and this is just one of mine

hmm uh oh there really catching up on this stuff now huh. well anyways i heard that kazaa really sucks so i dont have to worry about me trying to install that, but limewire is another thing..there are just so many people that use it thou, i find it VERY RARE that id be caught and fined...but i too have bittorrent and bitcomet. but life is a full of risks and this is just one of mine

See that's what I heard about Kazaa, something happened with them because I used to hear that they where the greatest thing since sliced bread, but now I'm hearing all this bad stuff. LimeWire I know you don't have to sign up for with an address, phone number or any personal information, so there is no way for the RIAA, to be able to find you even if they wanted to fine you.

bloddy wankers , they now how to fine you but they dont know to refund youre money if the bought stuff not working well ...

how is w**kers not censored lol . . . .

but ontopic. . . .untill i see an article which is a bit clearer i will assume these are just BS threats.
i mean. . . .fining anyone who installs a program :rolleyes:
It sounds like fear-mongering to me. . . . .
Fair enough actually sueing wrong dooers who have a significant amount of illegaly downloaded material. .. but sueing ppl who install a p2p program?. . . .thats BS . . . remember P2P can be legit. . . . . its how you use a program of a P2P nature which determines it Legitamacy . . . . i mean. . .MSN messenger can be classed as an illegal P2P program aswell IF A USER DECIDES to swap liscenced materials.

. . . . its all jus fear mongering

KaZaA is supposed to be legal. The content on the network is illegal (or most of it is). Other programs do this also, why only KaZaA? Other P2P prgorams include LimeWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Gnutella2, BitTorrent, Azuerus, Zena, etc, etc. So we need to get rid of the illegal files, not the programs.

Personally, I would not uses P2P's :):( . Oh, OK, yes I do, sometimes, but the likes of us who download a few songs, or the odd film aren't the problem. It is the people who download thousands of music albums, or films, and then sell them cheap. There was a case locally last week, where the police raided a house and found around 10,000 dvd's of films, some not even released over here yet, and these were being sold for ?5 each, or 3 for ?10. It was a major operation, with a huge market to fill.I agree that this kind of high volume piracy needs to be stopped, but how. Pandoras box is open now, and to close it would mean every single computer in the world being checked, and who has the resources for that.

RIAA can't fine you they aren't a legal body. That's like If I were to send you a ticket in the mail fining you $400 for being rude to me at lunch, doesn't matter, nothing gonna make you pay it.

RIAA can't fine you they aren't a legal body. That's like If I were to send you a ticket in the mail fining you $400 for being rude to me at lunch, doesn't matter, nothing gonna make you pay it.

Yeah I was just thinking about it. I didn't think someone could fine you for installing a program on your computer. It's a free country, you have the right to install a program. Now what it comes down to is what you do with the program. I could be installing it to share my band's music for all they know. I don't have kazaa but i'm just saying, how do they know that everyone who installs this program is going to use it for illegal purposes? They don't!