xisto Community
Brian Gillingham

Smart Php Code -- Firefox Product Referrals Unit to display either Google Referral Ads / Google AdSense for conten

If you are like me, you have a Google AdSense account. You would like to get more product referrals for Firefox, wouldn't you?

I wrote some PHP script that will either displays the Google - Firefox Referral" banner to non-Firefox users or your "Google AdSense for content" banner.

If you didn't know, I believe that you only get product referrals for Firefox when a non-Firefox user downloads and installs the program - the target audience is non-Firefox users. This smart script never displays the Firefox referral to Firefox users, but shows the Google AdSense for content ads.

Important: you must configure the parts in the code below to match your google <script> HTML block that you get when you access your Google AdSense account. Also, be notified that all double-quotes have been changed to single-quotes in the separate "echo" blocks.

<?php  // SET THESE VALUES!!  $yourpub = "pub-################";  $colborder = "2F5F91";  $collink= "4040DD";  $col_bg = "F0F2F7";  $coltext = "3F3F3F";  $colurl = "008000";   $browserinfo = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];  if ( strpos($browserinfo, 'Gecko') )  {	if ( strpos($browserinfo, 'Netscape') )	  $nonfirefox = 'YES';	else if ( strpos($browserinfo, 'Firefox') )	  $nonfirefox = 'Mozilla Firefox (Gecko/Firefox)';	else	  $nonfirefox = 'YES';  }  else if ( strpos($browserinfo, 'MSIE') )  {	if ( strpos($browserinfo, 'Opera') )	  $nonfirefox = 'YES';	else	  $nonfirefox = 'YES';  }  $showit = 1;  // initialize to show the Google Ad  if ( $nonfirefox == 'YES' ) {	// change the second parameter below if you want to display the Firefox  	// product referral less frequently... shouldn't really exceed 10 or so... 	// change random calculation and any comparisons as needed 	$showit = rand(0, 3);	if ($showit == 3) {	  // display the Firefox Product referral Ad, but give the user a small testimonial	  echo "	  <center>		<small><font color='green'>I believe they do it better... and they are ahead of the curve.</font>  		<b>Download the latest version</b>.</small><br>	  </center>	  <script type='text/javascript'><!--	  google_ad_client = '$yourpub';	  google_ad_width = 468;	  google_ad_height = 60;	  google_ad_format = '468x60_as_rimg';	  google_cpa_choice = 'CAAQtYiYhAIaCPydp1XAd3jZKOm293M';";	}  }  if ($showit < 3) {	// display the Google Ad	echo "	<script type='text/javascript'><!--	google_ad_client = '$yourpub';	google_ad_width = 468;	google_ad_height = 60;	google_ad_format = '468x60_as';	google_ad_type = 'text_image';	google_ad_channel ='';	google_color_border = '$colborder';	google_color_link = '$collink';	google_color_bg = '$col_bg';	google_color_text = '$coltext';	google_color_url = '$colurl';";   }  // common ending for both blocks of Google Ad code  echo "  	//--></script>	<center>	  <script type='text/javascript' src='http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js'>	  </script>		</center>	<br>";?>

Of course, you should save this code as a separate unit - "googleads.php" and include it anywhere you want by using an include statement.

<?php include "googleads.php" ?>

Wow, this a very useful script. This is a great idea. I think that Google should do this by default, show the Firefox referral to browsers other than Firefox!Thanks.

Aren't they only promotioning the toolbar? or the firefox download too?

I use a couple blocks of code now - so I have multiple google Adsense promotions handled in that code block. It randomly decides which promo to display. PM me if interested in a new sample of my code.

Very interesting, original and usefull.I will try this out, thanks for sharing with us this " "genius" php code"