xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Farseed

Going On A Cruise? Be More Than A Tourist How to Enjoy the Ride There

I have met many people of varying backgrounds during my lifetime. Getting to know others has always been a pastime of mine. Since moving west of Appalachia, I have met people lacking one of the most basic experiences I have always taken for granted - feeling the ocean. Since I fancy myself becoming a teacher in the future and enjoy social challenges, I would like to explain to someone such an experience. I want to share my knowledge of the ocean with those who have never laid eyes on her. The ocean I know is different from that which others may tell.While at sea one can continuously bask their senses in what the waters have to offer. I love to go to the bow of the ship during the day just to peer into the depths. The water truly is the deepest and most royal of azures. Looking from high above, the surface shimmers somewhat like computer animation. Rising and dipping in random swells, the surface tension can look opaquely silver one moment and then transparent aqua the next. The only constant is its mercurial nature. Searching beyond the waves, one can see large seafloor formations to depths of one hundred feet as if they were within a hand?s grasp. Darker rock precipices and lighter sandbars dot and swirl the ghostly panorama, flowing together like wax in a lava lamp.I always enjoy moving to a lower deck that is closer to the billowing misty waves kicked up by the ship?s hull. One can lean his body out and over into the aerial wake of wet brine. During high winds and faster speeds, the water would often crest over the side decks and spray those walking by, giving cool refreshment while leaving a sticky film on their skins. The waves crashing against the ship would atomize and rise above the water to meet noses. The sea?s salt is somewhat different from your garden-variety table salt. It is more akin to medicinal salts used for baths with a mild rotting smell, giving hint to its living qualities.Another of my favored activities is to creep out onto the stern deck late at night, long after and long before the sun shines. Without a moon above the event is more stunning, but moonlight will not impede one?s enjoyment of this sight. The ocean is brimming over with small, live creatures collectively called plankton. When the ship?s impellers churn the water, a phosphorescent trail is left behind as the plankton is mixed and stirred. A spectral, broad highway of pale green can be seen for miles aft of the ship. At the point closest to the viewer swirling plankton is much like a kaleidoscope but with one color. The points of light lazily twirl in semicircles and crescents until finally becoming still again on the surface. The actual graphics are similar to shutting one?s eyes tightly, rubbing them furiously and then quickly opening them again to see the tiny purple stars dance about.When most people write about the ocean, I find that the beach is always mentioned. That is well and fine, but I feel that the sand and surrounding activities take away from and drown out the full drama of what the ocean really is. I would suggest that one take a boat trip and quietly pay attention to the surroundings in order to see what the ocean is truly about. Learning the ocean I know, my ocean, is a unique and fulfilling experience.