xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Google Spreadsheets: A Threat To Excel? Googles latest release: Spreadsheet - A web based Excel

People are going crazy with blog posts and news reports about Google?s latest punch to Microsoft. In direct competition to Microsoft Excel, Google has launched a simple web based spreadsheet software.

Some headlines about the new release included:

Google adds web-based spreadsheet to Microsoft woes

Google Spreadsheets takes aim at Excel

Google unveiling Excel competitor

Coming soon: Google Spreadsheet. @SUM(trouble) for Microsoft's bottom line?

Microsoft itself, has been having some issues including the delay of the its new Operating system: Windows Vista.

Google Spreadsheets seems to offer an interface based on its other products like Gmail or Adsense. The interface is very similar to Gmail and has the typical Google design. Here?s a screenshot of Google spreadsheet:

Posted Image

Google Spreadsheets offers the same features as Excel except, it makes it easier to share this spreadsheet! You can use current formats of spreadsheets such as CSV and XLS. There also appears to be a formula link at the top of the page, which means that it is capable of advanced functions too.

Google Spreadsheets offers a tabbed interface that allows easy-switching between different features and worksheets. The unique part of this release is Google makes use of its web based Google Talk chat system to allow the user to invite other people to view the spreadsheet and chat with them in real-time as seen in this screen shot:

Posted Image

Google Spreadsheets supports the common browsers IE6+ and Firefox 1.0.7 and up on most Operating Systems (Windows, MAC, Linux). Browser based access and storage allows the user to save files on the Google servers and access the file from other computers!

Experts suggest that this real-time sharing feature could be a sign that Google is aiming for corporate products that will enable businesses to update and maintain spreadsheets with multiple people viewing and correcting it in real time.

Although, this could just be the beginning of a suite of Google products that mimic the applications within Microsoft Office.

I?m looking forward to using this new service but I think that without advanced features like macros and pivot tables, Google Spreadsheets is no match for the mighty Excel.

Seems to me like Google is gettig ready for a full-fledged attack on Microsoft. Next do we get slideshows? Word processor? Media player? Browser? This should prove interesting.

I like how you can invite people to help edit it. I don't kow what use I would have for that or the whole spreadsheet online thing. Who would really sit there and ask people to help them? lol. i don't know maybe the uses now arren't really practical. Google seems to be catching on quick to taking over microsoft and its products.

well, Google spreadsheets is nice. But, then again it is still not the best. I actually reviewed it on my blog and that is certainly a must read for all you guyz : http://reviewsaurus.com/2006/06/reviewheets-free.html

Anyway, I think it needs lot of improvement to actually beat Micorosft excel and to matter of fact...it has to first of all beat Zoho Sheet!

It misses charts & lot of functionalities...which google will take more than 2-3 years to actually even come near to Microsoft excel.

Wow mayank, you have access to Google Spreadsheets! That's so cool :rolleyes:. When were you aware of the release? I guess it was way earlier than today :lol:.

I wouldn�t be surprised, if they launched a new OS (Operating System) to back down Windows, wonder what they might name it, Google Goggles, I don�t know, but I can wait. They just released the Google Calendar, now Spreadsheets that would be good, like if you make a score card for the local weekend game, and you can get the other judges to edit it and so on. It would be good software. But I don�t think it will be a big threat to Microsoft Excel, Excel has already grown so big in the business world. It is even in the school curriculum to teach how to use Microsoft Excel. There are TAFE courses on it, so it wouldn�t make it to the top. But it would be useful for sharing. I bet you that the New Microsoft Office 2007 will have features similar to Google Spreadsheets. I might download it now, and see if I�m right I found a link to Google Spreadsheets..

Just enter your invitation, and they'll send you and invitation. It is alright, but only the editing bit was cool.

Wow mayank, you have access to Google Spreadsheets! That's so cool ;). When were you aware of the release? I guess it was way earlier than today :P.

well, nah!
I actually came to know about it yesterday only! But as soon as they launched the invite page...I was up there to request one :rolleyes: And Even, I didnt expect one so fast :lol: and finally I was able to review it.

:rolleyes: right after I made this post, I received my Google Spreadsheets invitation ;). I only applied around 10 minutes before starting this thread! Although, the application is pretty good, it has its limits. I wouldn't let me open my school homework (about 20 sheets in one workbook).Definitely seems like an attempt to start its anti-microsoft products :lol:

Not surprising at all, Google appears to want to take down Microsoft after knocking down Yahoo quite a bit. Soon I predict that they will take over all the software and launch their own OS in the near future. Which means the end of Bill Gates?s technological empire *rejoice*. Google has been slowly prying their way into our everyday life, search engine, maps, calendar, email, ads, you name it, it isn?t going to be a long time before they rival Microsoft.

they will take over all the software and launch their own OS in the near future.

I agree that it will be good to have Google OS in future but there is one point and that is the future is not so near! The reason I am thinking like this is that GMAIL was lauched more than 2 years back and is still in BETA and they are concentrating on improving the search as it is. Because Live.com has started to give the threat a little bit and not only Live.Com but a major change in Yahoo's search engine like LIVE SEARCH too.

After all this they have many other plans and all the plans are working slowly. Do you know why they close the invitations????? If not then let me answer you...the reason they close the invitations is because they fear of loosing out on bandwidth, its not me who is saying this, Google employees have said this!...YES GOOGLE IS SO POPULAR! :lol:

So, if they'll bring Google OS...I am sure they'll need hell lot of money and investors to get down to that project....another point is that may be they are waiting to make these service come out of BETA and may be then they'll come up with Google OS :rolleyes:

So, these are some of the points due to which I think Google OS is not so near in future ;)

There are some similar things to this on the web already, and several spreadsheet systems have been combatting Microsoft's Excel lately.But I'm sure, even without looking at it, that Google's is better than them all. =p

No matter what google does and will do in this field, it won't beat microsoft, microsoft has the best programs and it will allways have, that is just my opinion.

But I'm sure, even without looking at it, that Google's is better than them all. =p

I would like to mention that if you have not checked it then please go ahead and check all the features of other services too! At this point of time they are far better than it. If you missed my earlier post...you can read the review of Google spreadsheets too.

No matter what google does and will do in this field, it won't beat microsoft, microsoft has the best programs and it will allways have, that is just my opinion.

Well, Microsoft is certainly good but it is difficult to say that Google will not be able to beat it. Google has already beaten them in various departments. Do you have any report or any reasons, which make you beleive this?

Well, having in mind all that Microsoft has accomplished, and even if Google creates an improved version of their products/ideas, Microsoft could just counter-attack adding those new functionalities.After all, it was Microsoft who had the original idea and all the hard work, so it wouldn't be so hard to add whichever features the competition offers.

Edited by Radioactive (see edit history)

Wow, Google does it again, a really nice piece of webbased controled software which has more features than it's offline version provided by microsoft (which also costs money!)Seriously, the ability to work out spreadsheets on the web is one of the greatest idea's ever. What will we see next which supports this principle, write emails together with your friends, work on presentations in a Microsoft