xisto Community
Laos

Making Tobacco Illegal petition

Hey all,

I recently Put up a Petition at petitionspot.com, its name is Make Tobacco Illegal, the name says it all

My goal is a million signatures, which is big, and i was wondering if anyone here dislikes tobacco and these big companies like Phillip J Morris who have people killed by their products just to make a buck, heres your chance to make a change

5 minutes to sign and sign, thats nothing compared to time that could be saved if this petition marks a hole somwhere

the link is here
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

and if your not so sure about signing, below is a few facts about tobacco

Tobacco IS just as bad as weed or any other drug that you buy off a drug dealer, in fact, its worse because its legal, its not good with such a disgusting thing legal

Think about this, would you ever even swallow this junk?
Cyanide ( Poisonous chemical)
Nail Polish Remover
Rat Poop
Well guess what, every time you chew, spit, or light one up, your swallowing a dose of that s*it
and so is your best friend without the filter

How would you like having a really bad cough all day for the rest of your life, looking and smelling terrible, and passing out going on 10 flights of stairs.

Well these are all in a Marlboro, or a Camel, or Parliament, they all cause these effects

If your still not satisfied, dont sign, noones pushign you, and noone rant here, theres no point in it

I agree smoking is a bad habit but then there are a lot of other bad habits in this world I dislike more. Good luck with being the do-gooder but you are not getting my signature.

Hmm...I often debate with myself on drug legalization. On one hand, it is your body and your choice. On the other side, it's very unhealthy and is making big companies millions of dollars for human suffering.For now I remain neutral on this issue and will not sign any petitions for or against drug illegalization.EDIT: Just so you know, your link to your petition does not work.

Edited by uiop (see edit history)

I agree that Tobacco should be illegal, but I do agree with the point "It's your body, do what you want with it". I think that it should be ok to smoke in your own home, but no where else. That way it doesn't put as many people in danger.

I think 1 million signatures will be way to hard to achieve. It's unlikely that 1 million people will ever visit your page. I agree with you that smoking is a bad habit, I think its worse than weed. In fact the only reason pot smokers **** up their health so much is because of the tobacco that they smoke with it, and also the fact that some of them become to lazy to look after themselves and live a lifestyle that is very unhealthy.

Do you really think this will do anything? Do you really think the government gives a damn if tobacco is as "bad" as weed and whatever? No, sorry, they don't. The main reason marijuana isn't legal is because they can't control it, and/or make enough money off of it.Good luck with that, though. *didn't read the post*

The government won't make tobacco illegal because they make so much money off it. If it wasn't for that, the increased cost of healthcare (in Canada, anyways), along with the lobbying of the nonsmoking population, tobacco would have been made illegal a long time ago. Everything is about money. Whether you like it or not, thats the way the human mind works, and its impossible to change, especially within a huge entity such as a government, trying to shut down an even bigger entity of the production/market of/for tobacco. Unfortunately, its just not going to happen..

well the health system here in australia spends way too much money treating the results of smokers addictions and it takes money away from other things which could save others lives. I don\'t think it should be made illegal, just that people can only smoke on their own property, and it should certainly be illegal to smoke in the same room/car/space as children, they don\'t have a voice to speak up against it.

Do you really think this will do anything? Do you really think the government gives a damn if tobacco is as "bad" as weed and whatever? No, sorry, they don't. The main reason marijuana isn't legal is because they can't control it, and/or make enough money off of it.
Good luck with that, though. *didn't read the post*

i do agree with SarCasM.the key reason is on "money",who would like to drop the big making money,so no ban forever.

Well, I totally disagree with making tobacco illegal. The name for that petition should be 'should we make more criminals?'. When tobacco become illegal, those who smoke will find illegal ways to obtain their nicotine, and it will cost them a lot of $$$ to buy some. Meaning people will rob, steal, smuggle and maybe even kill for it, look what happened with cannabis, while for some people it's legal to use it as medicine. If you look at the number of peoples who smoke, there will be lots of them who don't want to quit and do inappopriate things to keep smoking. The consequences will be big, very big.

And the police will have to spend all of their time tracking down grannies and stuff while people are getting beat up in the streets. There's are many slippery slope arguements that can be made for why tabacco shouldn't be illegal. Everyone knows that it's a horrible thing, but people have been using this stuff since the beginning of time. I disagree with part of what glamour trash said about pot smokers. Tabacco might mess with their health more than pot. I don't know. But pot messes with their brains, seriously. They just don't realize it because they are hanging out with other stoners.

There are three major things wrong with this (and several minor):1. Money2. History3. Online PetitionsOther people have mentioned how much money is being made so I won't go into that.Second, you really need to learn some history. Ever heard of prohibition? If so you should know how impossible it was to control it. If people want something bad enough, they'll get it any way possible. By completely banning cigarettes and other tobacco products you'll separate a lot of addicted people from what they really want. You'll cause riots and people will set up back alley stores. People will still want and get their tobacco no matter how illegal it is. Last, internet petitions are pointless. It's way too easy to fake millions of signatures so people won't pay attention no matter how legit it may seem. Also 1 million in real signatures wouldn't do anything because there are probably a lot more people than that who smoke a pack per day.

Edited by beeseven (see edit history)

Well I also debate myself on this subject and I sometimes can't decide. A family member of mine smoke and it is annoying especially when he is around me while he smokes but atleast it isn't inside the house. I guess it returns to your body your choice and if you make the wrong choice then oh well. They atleast make it so you have to be 18 to buy tobacco. As for making it illegal for everyone I don't think it will happen but people should be more considereate to smoke in an isolated area so no one has to smoke their crap.

i think that making smoking illegal wouldn't work as people are too addicted and would have to go to drug dealers to get some tobacco which means wasting police time.However, smoking in public should be illegal. If you want to mess up your body and die sooner go ahead but don't make other people breath your filthy smoke! Grrr