xisto Community
electriic ink

Wmp (windows Media Photo) - The New Image File Format From Microsoft windows media photo WMP - could replace JPGs and GIFs?

I also feel the same way as some of the other posters on this topic. I really do not feel it is necessary to add a new file type, unless there's a particular reason that the old formats, gif/jpeg/png etc, are unfunctionable on the new Windows Vista, which I very much doubt, as the internet contains many images, nearly all of which are one of these file types.I would be able to understand it if it adds an extra effect to the image on the new Vista operating system, for example, a shadow that bonds in well with the colour scheme/background of the computer.I very much doubt this wouldn't be the case. It's likely to just be another file type which Microsoft have created because they want to be different, have a new file type for images.We'll see in the future though, when or if this new file type becomes popular and when Vista is out, being the most popular operating system.

That sounds pretty cool but a lot of confusion at first. I like the idea of reducing the distortion after compression and what not but I don't see why add another format and it will take a while for people to getting used to the change and it won't hit off at first. I guess if we don't like it we don't have to use it but I probably will if it has better quality.

The only time I'd be okay with this is if it were to be the propritory file format used in some Microsoft Image editing program like xcf for GIMP and psd for PhotoShop. In this case that'd be good not like macromedia addopting the png for fireworks and screwing it up, unless you "export".

it sounds a interesting ms software...i'd like to have a try with it.maybe more comment about it can guid me a little... :)

Well I guess we wont really know what is going to happen to this format until it finally comes out. It sounds a lot like windows media audio and windows media video to me, and they are not as popular as other media formats. I think wmp will be just another format. I dont really think it will completely replace .jpg, because of some compatability issues with older operating systems.

^^ off topic spam? delete maybe? ^^this new WMP image format won't be that bad i suppose. . . . i guess it'll suceed more than the Jp2 format etc, as its got Microsfot behind it . . . . . and if MS tells you to use somethign ,you generlly don't have a choice :(But if its got better compression with better quality then i don't mind :)

Notice from serverph:
spam reported by Goosestaf removed. :( disregard his "arrow" remarks pointing to the post preceding this. :(

If this new WMP format will ever suceed it will have to be far better than the others to be included (and supported) in all the major software like photoshop, gimp, irfan, acdsee, etc...I don't see what's wrong with png. It's a very good format if you ask me. It can be of a high quality and still it can be small enough for web and it supports transparency. What more could you wish for?

Oh no... We already have too many image formats out there on the market and M$ still believes that they have something better then others. Either they are overconfident or that they are tricking consumers into using their format. The only format I like from m$ is the chm file format. All other file formats turn out to be something inferior. WMV say, is worse then DIVX/H264, WMA is worse then rm and MP3 VBR. I don't see any contribute M$ has brought to computer world.

this new WMP image format won't be that bad [. . .] as its got Microsoft behind it . . . . . and if MS tells you to use something, you generally don't have a choice :)

Now that's what I'm talking about! Goosestaf has perfectly summed up what my last post in this topic said (albeit his many spelling and grammar mistakes). Microsuck, as my friends call it, are only releasing this new format becuase they plan on making it "standard", with the end result that everyone is going to start using it and cause problems for everyone else. And then we'll all be biting Bill Gates' head off!
Actually, come to think of it I'd love it if someone DID do that... *whistles a tune that is so obviously intended to take attention off that it doesn't work*
Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

I personally think this is an unnecessary step to further photo software development.This however could be useful if it could replace the BMP, DIB and TIFF formats. They are rarely used so that they should be removed.At the current time, JPEG and PNG suit me just fine.I wonder how WMP would turn out. After all, WMP stands for Windows Media Player :)

*Wimp* lol :)So now all software like photoshop or virtually any grapical edditing program needs to be changed, that sounds like a lot of useless and irritating work. I don't really care about a new format, in my own eyes, the excisting formats where okay and didn't need to be replaced.But oh well, we're talking about Microsoft here so they probably have their reasons.

hmm this is rather interesting and brave of microsoft to make something on their own... joking, but anyways i'll have a look at this nicely improved file type for images. I wonder what kind of virus people could make from this. Windows could of just released a source for new hackers like that old Jpeg script... that Windows XP SP2 stopped.