xisto Community
Adam Roach

The Ultimate Gaming Rig?! 1138.99

Hello everyone! :rolleyes:
As you know all of us hardcore gamers love to get our hands on new cutting-edge technology. Today I will be showing you what I will be purchasing to make the Ultimate Gaming Rig that can support CoD2 Dirext X 9 on highest graphics settings possible. This after I summed it up cost me $1138.99. This may sound a lot to you but this is the most advanced cutting-edge technology for gaming.

1. $297.00 | AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Dual-Core (Why do you want to have Dual-Core? Because some future games will take advantage of it.)
2. $134.99 | ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socet 939 PCI-Express nForce 4 SLI Chipset. (Why SLI? You may need to get a better gpu in the future? Why throw out your old one when you could add another for 2x performance?)
3. $189.00 | 2 Sticks of Corsair XMS Plainum 184-Pin DDR SDRam (What about room for expansion? Don't worry, the ASUS motherboard has 4 RAM Slots!)
4. $109.00 | Aspire ATX 680W Power Supply (Why 680W?! Well if you have this powerful Rig you need lots of power!)
5. $409.00 | Nvidia Geforce SLI 7800GTX PCI-Express 256MB Video Card (Why PCI-Express? The ASUS motherboard is meant for PCI-Express! NOT AGP!)

Well there is my list. If I added correctly it adds up to $1138.99. This is not including the hard drive or the CPU fans, or watercooling if you choose etc.

Below are links to where you can buy these products if you would like to.

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Dual-Core

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard

Corsair XMS Platinum DDR SDRAM

ASPIRE ATX 680W Power Supply

Nvidia Geforce SLI 7800GTX PCI-Express 256MB Video Card

Um. Ok. For starters, the 7800GTX is no-longer the most current GFX card out, and a 7900GT outperforms it slightly at a much lower cost. Even if you wanted to be pedantic, there is a 512mb 7800GTX for even better performance. At this current point in time though, I think the 7900GTX is the best nVidia card out, but the top end/best ATi card(s) out performs it, though cost-wise it's quite a bit more expensive.The Athlon X-2 3800+ is the best value for money in terms of OCing and is the cheapest Athlon dual core to get. For extreme cutting edge, you'd be looking at some of the FX series chips - I'm not too familiar with them as they're way out of my price range. Even the X-2 4400+ will give better performance, not just because of the speed increase but because of the larger cache.Why an Aspire PSU? I know Antec has some very good PSUs that are reliable, and some other brands have a good high-performance reputation that I can't recall right now >.<

^ Sorry for not contributing to the thread, but what's a reliable company to buy the GeForce 7900GT from? I'm seeing prices range from $299 to $345 from different manufactorers. Cheapest one (299) is from Leadtek.

^ Sorry for not contributing to the thread, but what's a reliable company to buy the GeForce 7900GT from? I'm seeing prices range from $299 to $345 from different manufactorers. Cheapest one (299) is from Leadtek.

Leadtek is a very good brand, quite often they have good cooling systems on their GPU's and have a nice software bundle with most of their cards. If it's the cheapest, I would definitely advise you to get it.

*sigh* The best computer builds are so ridiculously cheap, but also too expensive at the same time. And here I am stuck on a pentium II. It hurts. It physically hurts.Anyway, not a bad topic, along with cool_freaker's additions. :)

i am building a similar setup, but better, msi k9a2 platinumphenom quad coreati cross fire video cards8 gigs of ram, only 7 gigs shows upcurrently running a sempron 64 untill i can buy a phenomive only spent about 400.00 so far