xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
amir691

Future Of Internet In 2016 And Beyond

The biggest shift over the next ten years will be one of attitude, as our mindset of "going online" is replaced by one of "being online". This change has already started, as telephones and televisions become more integrated with the Net, and connectivity will grow to include everything from your morning alarm clock to the book you read before falling asleep at night. The "Internet" will no longer be a destination, but the essential glue that holds our world together.

Along with a change of mindset will be a generational shift. By the year 2016, no one under the age of forty will remember a world without personal computers. The average twenty year old will find it hard to imagine a time when there wasn't any email to check or Web sites to visit. When we reach this point, even the novelty of the term "Internet" will have long since faded to join such golden buzz-words of yesteryear as "space age" and "atomic".

In addition to constant Net connectivity, computing power itself will grow by leaps and bounds -- and this technology will also find its way into everyday objects. Your mobile telephone will be able to record broadcast-quality video, and a cheap child's doll will have the full interactivity of a video game.

As the bulky footprint of personal computers becomes smaller, the desktop computer as we know it will disappear. Thanks to decreased computing costs, the average American home will become littered with computers -- like the television sets of today, you'll find them in cars, kitchens and even bathrooms.

Notice from mayank:
Copied from here : http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/222/internet-future.html
reduced hosting credits

I am sure this is the truth. We advance so much each day in technology and computers and the internet soon everything will be automated and no one will have to move a muscle to use their computer or to check their email. It is pretty amazing how all this works. Future generations are gonna have lives much easier than what we have today which is something considering how much our lives already are from advancement in the internet.

Its sounds like were gonna become lazier in the future. lol. Like everything will be automatic. Things will make food for us at a time in the morning or night. Possibly robots that do our house chores which there already are some of there just not really highly developed. I can't wait for the time to come. Maybe i'll be gone by then before all these come true. lol.

Cool, maybe teddy will be built by then. You know, the teddy from the artificial inteligence movie. I would really like to have one of those, or atleast a Sony Qrio.

Its sounds like were gonna become lazier in the future.

Yeah, no-one will get any exercise cos they're tied to their computers all day long and the already increasing health crisis in Western countries will just get worse.

That's an interesting prediction. But that may be true for many western countries but in Africa and some Asian countries by 2016 many will still live without even seeing a desktop not to speak of the laptops that are a common sight in cities. Believe me you cannot imagine people living below $1 per day in so many countries. Yes, I agree but for many people it will be like you've just mentioned. Just another example will be a refrigerator ordering milk when it got finished. It's in the testing stage in Far East countries.

Yep. The internet's progressed so much in the last 10 years or so.Back in 1996, there was none of this broadband connection to the internet or wireless network via a router, it was a simple slow wired network and a modem connection to the internet, with a maximum download speed of 56kb/s.I agree with this article, that nowadays, all young people are using the internet and none of them actually think about what life would be like if these computers and the internet didn't exist.I also agree with the part of the article where it mentions that people won't think about connecting to the internet, they'll be thinking about whether they're still connected and having competitions with each other to see who can stay on the longest.Even though it's predicted that in 10 years time, no person under the age of 40 will be unable to imagine life without computers, I'm sure there will be a few that don't have the internet, especially young people from poorer families. I really do feel that this is a slight exaggeration.

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)

I agree with the main points of what you have said, the generational and the increased connectivity aspects (which has clearly already begun, albeit in a very limited manned). It is true that 'the internet' is increasngly becomming more and more common and will continue to increase in places and devices which can be used to access it (indeed this is begining too, strangely lacking in the western world though imo).

The one area I do differ in your view of the future is the computers all throughout the house, my view is that their will only be one true computer in the house, this will then be used to goveren the rest of the devices in the house and they will all communicate via a universal wireless protocol (think UPnP , but better). In this house their will instead of being lots of computers be lots of access points (TV's, handheld devices, everything electrical). These central computers will also have the abilty to learn what the inhabitents like to do (propably via embedded RFID chips or the like) and will suggest activities for each individual at a time that is optimal for them. Well thats my ideal future home anyway (that and full WiFi access eveywhere, but thats slightly more extreme). Theres a long way to go yet (until this is mainstream, as this can all be done today) but technology is increasing so that one day this will be a cost effective solution.

I agree that the concept of connecting to the internet will be fundametally different, it will cease to be an activity the internet will just be their like TV is now, and benches in shopping centers it will becom the expectation, the most extreme idea is that everything will be delivered via the internet as and when it is required (think video on demand but on acid). I however think that 10 years is a little soon for this to be happening (hell we may still all be using Windows XP, in 10 years if they don't hurry up with Vista, but thats for another discussion).

by 2016, the internet can be accessed anytime, anywhere, in the world because implants will allow you with a pair of glasses watch movies, view webpages, and even play games ( With included gloves). ALong with this, if you get the helmet system, you can order food and drinks, see GPS, and a lot more featuresEverything at very low costsThe Internet is a great thing and is growingbut the darkest sides of evil are still growing and will soon become at a dangerous level the Government will have to sustain