xisto Community
Nitefell

What If People All Saw Things Differently?

I mean, what if someone sees you differently than what you see in your reflection? I know it's against common logic, but really? It can't be proven. What if the color pink looks like what you think black is? Everytime I think about this, I get headaches, but it is a crazy possibility. I honestly wonder about these things. Imagine, for a second, if people did see things differently, and you had the opportunity to see through their eyes? I can't even concieve what that would be like. Would you be shocked? Amused? Would you see colors you never thought could exist, animals you thought you knew? What about the people you knew? Would it totally change your opinion on someone your attracted to? That makes me think the mos, for you may find someone attractive, but your friend thinks less than that of them. What are your opinions on this? Do you think this is a possibility?

What if the color pink looks like what you think black is

First of all, THIS COLOR could be 'asdfqwerty33' for all you know... because we as human beings like to keep things neat, organized and standardized, we gave each of these a name and in this case, THIS COLOR is red.

The color could've been anything, but its just a standard name that we as humans chose and accepted.

This reminds me of colorblind people... it doesn't really affect their lives in any way... but it would surprise them to know that what they see is not what the others see.

geez... i've got myself confused now :rolleyes:

Anyways, this is an interesting theory.

Many things in the universe is arbitrary, even time. Time in reality is fluid and slows or speeds up etc but humans invented clocks and hours and minutes and seconds not set by time itself but by someone who decided that 1 second would be this long and 1 minute would be made up of 60 seconds etc.

Just think about your first memory of someone and compare it to them now. Most of the time you'll find that your first impression image is quite to different to how you see that person now.

Or how my self image (what I think I look like) is quite different to what I see in the mirror or in photos.

It's not theory, it's fact. And I too always find it interesting to 'delve' into the minds of others wondering what their perspective is. The human mind works in some pretty amazing ways. Does a person who has been blind all their life 'see' blackness like when a seeing person closes their eyes or do they sense nothing...?

Interesting thread - thanks for starting it!

First of all, THIS COLOR could be 'asdfqwerty33' for all you know... because we as human beings like to keep things neat, organized and standardized, we gave each of these a name and in this case, THIS COLOR is red.

Techniqually this color is just a wave of photons that is being transmitted outwards by a leds in the monitor of a certain wavelength. We as humans, have found it easier to name these wavelengths like red and blue instead of going around saying "can i get the 630nm crayon please". It just makes more sense. Plus, back in the days when the colors were named, they didnt have the technology to measure the wavelength of light and they didnt know that only certain wavelength are reflected by some materials which is why we see them as that color.

Techniqually this color is just a wave of photons that is being transmitted outwards by a leds in the monitor of a certain wavelength. We as humans, have found it easier to name these wavelengths like red and blue instead of going around saying "can i get the 630nm crayon please". It just makes more sense. Plus, back in the days when the colors were named, they didnt have the technology to measure the wavelength of light and they didnt know that only certain wavelength are reflected by some materials which is why we see them as that color.

Doesn't change the fact though that what different people see is subjective. Take a blue-green colour for example (around 493nm) - I might say that it is a blue colour with a hint of green whereas other people will say that it is a green colour with a slightly blue tinge....

It's also dependent on how much of the different idopsins (cone pigments) there are in the retinas of someone's eyes. If a person lacks some of the idopsin responsible for red colour absorption, that person's vision will appear much more washed out with a blue-green tinge than other people (try turning down the red on your monitor and you'll see what I mean). The amount of idposins can also vary from eye to eye - if you close one eye and then change to the other you may notice that your vision has a slightly different tinge to it. It's also what we call colour blindness - where someone may completely lack the idopsin for a particular colour range.

It's not as simple as light waves. My favorite colour is blue. Why is that? Why does my daughter like pink? (which I hate). Colour/light also has a profound effect on human emotion that while generally the same for most people is also subjective to experience. If a person suffers a trauma and they are surrounded by the colour blue may end up with an aversion to it, even though emotionally it creates feelings of peacefulness and tranquility.

Like I said, the human mind (or any minds for that matter) are fascinating and amazing in how they work and why they work the way they do.

A few years back, I think I was thinking about this too, but there is probably no way to prove it, however, if you combine two colors, there will eb a new color which looks a bit like the other two, but it will also look like a new color, if people would name this new color, and it would look different for everyone, it might be a bit hard to see how they got into the name, so this theory could only be right if the colors all changed the same way

This is an interesting thread. I must say one thing though lol. Only that the fact is People can imagine and think and see things different than you. Not through their eye but through the images composed in your mind. The concept of what you saw, or what you think you saw. is really what you didnt see at all. This isnt really making since. so heres an example. You all came to this thread to see opinons on this. You might of saw what i said, but what you thought of it is different from everyone else or maybe similar, it could even be the same. But anything is possible in this world. even things that seem beyond logic and common sense, this world be live in is unbound beyond laws of gravity and matter.

Back in 6th grade my friend came up with those thoughts... What if this aint blue :rolleyes:

But the posts here are much more interesting :lol:

Just think about your first memory of someone and compare it to them now. Most of the time you'll find that your first impression image is quite to different to how you see that person now.

Or how my self image (what I think I look like) is quite different to what I see in the mirror or in photos.

Or think;

When you record your voice, it feels different... and mostly in a bad way.

We all take same inputs but progress it differently...

Just think what this world would be like if everybody saw, thought, and preceived everything exactly the same. Seems to me it would be pretty boring. Variety is the spice of life. Everybody's concept of things is what makes life interesting. Now, I do thing it would be wonderful if everybody could preceive of peace in the same manner. This would be a blessing to the peoples of the world. But, not everything.

I have a friend whose favorite color is yellow. He is color blind, so I don't know what color he is actually seeing in his head. It would be interesting to get inside there and see what he sees.

Edited by Mich (see edit history)

This is an interesting thread. I must say one thing though lol. Only that the fact is People can imagine and think and see things different than you. Not through their eye but through the images composed in your mind. The concept of what you saw, or what you think you saw. is really what you didnt see at all. This isnt really making since. so heres an example. You all came to this thread to see opinons on this. You might of saw what i said, but what you thought of it is different from everyone else or maybe similar, it could even be the same. But anything is possible in this world. even things that seem beyond logic and common sense, this world be live in is unbound beyond laws of gravity and matter.

True true. It's like the discussions about reality and what we perceive as reality. Is this real or are we just dreaming (like the whole Matrix thing). You can very much see different perceptions of reality when you look at people with severe psychoses where they believe their delusions are literally real no matter how far out and funky they might be. What we see and perceive as being real isn't what is actually there. It's what our brains 'think' is there. '

I watched a documentary a while ago that was about vision and the things that can go wrong with it. When things go very wrong with vision, the majority of the time it's because of the brain not the eyes. I remember this one woman they interviewed who couldn't see movement. I thought "what?!" How can you not see movement. If something is moving in front of your eyes you are seeing it move.... It was hard to come to grips with as I couldn't comprehend how someone could not perceive movement. What the lady saw was like a series of still photos, like a slow strobe or if you turned the frame rate way down. The problem was that the part of the brain responsible for perceiving motion was damaged. Once again all in the mind and very, very wierd but very interesting.

True true. It's like the discussions about reality and what we perceive as reality. Is this real or are we just dreaming (like the whole Matrix thing). You can very much see different perceptions of reality when you look at people with severe psychoses where they believe their delusions are literally real no matter how far out and funky they might be. What we see and perceive as being real isn't what is actually there. It's what our brains 'think' is there. '

I watched a documentary a while ago that was about vision and the things that can go wrong with it. When things go very wrong with vision, the majority of the time it's because of the brain not the eyes. I remember this one woman they interviewed who couldn't see movement. I thought "what?!" How can you not see movement. If something is moving in front of your eyes you are seeing it move.... It was hard to come to grips with as I couldn't comprehend how someone could not perceive movement. What the lady saw was like a series of still photos, like a slow strobe or if you turned the frame rate way down. The problem was that the part of the brain responsible for perceiving motion was damaged. Once again all in the mind and very, very wierd but very interesting.

Your views in particular are very interesting. Thank you all for replying. It's such an infinate topic, so the amount of posts were to be expected.

well looks like Thorned Rose summed everything i said up into a even greater understanding. also i just got done watching a somethign similar on the history channel. about evolution. that makes me think in how people back than saw things too. "The brain is like a dimension that can stir up anything" a scientist said this a couple days before he died. It leads me to believe even more evidence would be in the poetry. How did people think up poetry like that. No one hand fed us this stuff. its like we caught it are minds since the day we were born. like a jack of all traits. More like someone has something their good at. I haven't found that out yet, but i would really like to. I am probably leading myself in the wrong direction lol. but back to the subject. If people had the power to harness the mind in its own compacity than who knows what we would be capable of! Think through this, tell me what you think...

I've pondered this question since I was 8 years old. I still think it's very possible, if not probable. But not just that we see things differently, but we percieve everything differently. Tastes, colors, even living itself.I've noticed that sometimes I can look at someone and see them one way, and then another time I can look at them and see a totally different person. (well, not totally, but very different)Other questions to think of:What if everyone else in the world is sort of like an automaton, and only you are the real human being capable of free thought?What if there are colors we've never seen before?What if the dinosaurs were a failed experiment, and God (or whoever) destroyed them on purpose to make way for us?I have more, but I can't think of them right now.

I have thought about this. You know what a circle is because you were constantly told that that shape was a circle. You know how to prove that the object is a circle because u learned the ways of finding it out. But, you're right, we could all be seeing things differently. Does it really matter though? The key here is agreement. As long as 2 people can both say that the shape is a circle, there will be no confusion or chaos.

well not only all of these, but no one has talked about eye types, does the different colors effect your sight, does color blindness effect you, also eye types like 20x20, well im blind as a bat and i wear glasses, also my eyes used to split so i had to have surgery in like 1992, also about 3 years ago, my eyes would start to go blurry right through the glasses. Only way i know how to stop it is sleeping or a shower, and sometimes it dont work. my eye doctor has no clue what it is... he says its the glasses, i say it might be stressful on my eyes. I need to get laser yeah, but i dont trust it. and contacts... cant wear them lol.

Edited by Thelaw (see edit history)