xisto Community
arnz

Your View And Definition Of Swear Words.

'swear word n. An obscene or blasphemous word'. esp. uttered as an expletive.

Ok I dont want this thread to turn into a list of examples, but I'd be interested to hear your views as to what makes a swear word. What is classed as an indecent word or what offends you, in your view?

Are some words acceptable in some cases and not in others? Just use upper case first initial to signify which word you are referring to.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Title modified.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

For the most part, I don't consider most of the "bad" swear words different from regular words. In my regular day-to-day speech I utter profanity without even thinking about it.I consider lots of non-swear words to be much more offencive than certain swear words. For instance, I don't consider the f-word to be necessarily bad if used as an adjective, though speaking about sex and stuff can be innappropriate at times, depending on where and when you are talking. When I am in a public eye, such as posting on forums here, I try not to use profanity because it is thought of as offencive to a large amount of people, but when I'm talking with my friends and stuff (would have said the 's' word there if I was speaking aloud to friends, i.e.) it's different.So like I said, I consider using regular, non-cuss words, as having more potential for being much more offencive than the use of swear words. For instance, people so blindly describing as something as being gay in a negative aspect pisses me off more than calling someone a b-word or something. I'd much preferred to be called an a-hole or something than be called gay in a negative fashion.But yeah, Sorry this post is a bit off topic. What defines a swear word, to me, is any word that is offencive to others.

A word's just a word though, right? I don't put any more emphasis on swear words than normal words and I don't get the emphasis placed on "protecting" kids from swear words, finding them offensive. Kids are going to hear "swear words" wherever they are. I mean, what's the difference between words that mean "poo"? They all mean the same thing, right? So why isn't poo considered derogatory, and the others are? There are a few different letters, certainly, but what makes society more receptive to "baby words" like poo when other words are only a few steps away? I'm assuming somewhere in our evolution, expression has become somewhat censored and the necessity to use swear words is coupled with one's moral de-evolution. But why would that happen? Who really cares? Words are only words.

As far as I am concerned sware words are any words that you should not say if you were to talk at a business meeting. To me sware words are any word that is a one size fits pretty much all insult. Words that are used to get around swaring at home and school are also sware words because they are representing the sware word.

Ok I dont want this thread to turn into a list of examples, but I'd be interested to hear your views as to what makes a swear word. What is classed as an indecent word or what offends you, in your view?Are some words acceptable in some cases and not in others? Just use upper case first initial to signify which word you are referring to.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Title modified.

the fcc has already defined this....haha but i know parents, when bringing up their children have their own.

i got in trouble for saying "shut up". that was BAD whenever my mother heard those two words and it wouldn't even matter if i wasn't even talkin' to 'r

Shut up I don't think is an innapriate word. Swear words have no purpose in this world yet are used everyday. Everyone is exposed to them, but they have no purpose but to harshly insult another person. Some words I am not sure if I would call swear words, but are definitely borderline. Mainly it just depends on how you use it. When you use the word He**, I have no problem with someone describing the place, but any other meanings are too cruel. They are typical words when you think about them. You say dam if you are talking about a beaver dam. Nothing is funny or bad about that. You are technically saying the word. It all just depends.

When I was in like.. fourth grade, I believed that shut up was a bad word. It kinda is, being that it's rude. So I try not to say words like "stupid" or "shut up." I don't count words like "darn," "rats," or "shoot" to be swear words. I don't think anyone does. Swear words, to me, are s**t, c**p, b***h, f**k, and any combination of those words.

If you can't say the word during a conversation with your Pastor/Preacher/Reverand, it shouldn't be used in everyday speech. That's the way I see it.

If you can't say the word during a conversation with your Pastor/Preacher/Reverand, it shouldn't be used in everyday speech. That's the way I see it.

I look at it the same way. If you can't use it in a conversation with say a teacher, or someone respectful then I wouldn't use it. Doesn't have to be a swear word necessarily but that's my view of innaproprate words. There are also better terms for many of those words anyway that might be accepted but you know you still probably shouldn't go around using them anyway.

As soon as someone swears my attitude towards them changes. If you want to swear do it around people you know well but not in public or to the waitress as it sometimes happens. I feel people who can't help themselves from swearing, are too weak to control themselves :) I myself do not swear but that does not mean that my friend may not swear around me. If they know me, then they can swear but not in public.

biscuitrat

I mean, what's the difference between words that mean "poo"? They all mean the same thing, right? So why isn't poo considered derogatory, and the others are? There are a few different letters, certainly, but what makes society more receptive to "baby words" like poo when other words are only a few steps away?

I agree with this whole-heartedly. Who, in the beginning, decided what was bad and what was good anyway. But that is probably off topic.

I too got in trouble when I was younger for saying things like shut up and stupid, but not for swearing, but for rudeness. I have two young step-children, 6 and 9, and me and my girlfriend do not like them to say things like that out of respect.

And as for swearing, I put it like this. If I wouldn't wouldn't like to use the word around my mother, then it's probably not an appropriate word. She brought me up good. But if I'm around my friends, yeah, I swear some, I'm not perfect. But around children I don't. They may hear it but I'm not going to be the reason why they go around talking like a drunken sailor. I value bringing children up right, mine or the worlds. So if is see children, I hold my tounge.

A word is a word and a curse word is a curse word.  Although in my eyes I find them ever so close to each other.  I think that people who use these words often actually have a smaller vocabulary than others.  Yet others who are even smart do get frustrated time after time and do mutter these words or say them out loud.  I mean I for one know this is true for the most part of my school since when I walk down my high school hallways going to a class I'll hear laughter and a curse word almost every few seconds.  Sometimes they say this in pain or otherwise as well.  My point happens to be that I would think that F and and would be the two most common and the most indecent.  Even though they all are these two are used by most african americans these days; especially and which we non-african americans can't even udder around them withought risking being hit or being threatened.  Plus and refers to them back in the slave ages which is not necessary to remember and F usually belonging in bed can now be even used in a term of love like "I F--ing love you" 

Heh. Whether you call it ****ing or intercourse, it's one and the same. Half the words in our language sound like swear words in other tongues, be they contemporary or archaic. Swear words develop whether or not they actually have any meaning, and they take on the roles given to them. As with any other racial trait, the urge to express feelings through some verbal means is natural and healthy.

Swearing is offensive to some; knowledgeably running grammatical rings around someone you wish to humiliate is just as offensive. Get over yourselves, celebrate the good in life, and let the bad go **** itself.

I go to high school pretty much every day. I hear swearing every few seconds. I've been hearing them since I was in 2nd grade. Now I hear it from kindergarteners. Like violence and gore and sex, I've become desensitized to it. It is simply another word to me, unoffensive, and means the same thing as its original meaning. I don't even see why they became offensive in the first place. I don't use them within earshot of older people or people who still get offended by them, as I respect other peoples view as much as mine. However, I will use them in front of a kid. They've probably already heard them.

-reply by Demoralizer

The "F" word for exaample.It is a very confusing word. This word could mean "have sexual intercourse with", or to show annoyance and anger and "do great violence to". So when someone says "I wanna "F" you", what does it mean? For me, swearing is just a way of expressing anger or frustration. Sometime usually with a twisted meaning.