xisto Community
Paul

What Do You Think Of My Site? Do you have what it takes to review my site.

The site is located at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (don't ask about the name... its just a random name)

This site was built on the Joomla CMS (v1.0.8). It also has a directory within it (using the Mostes Tree Directory component for Mambo/Joomla)

The site design was bulit using ONLY NOTEPAD and VERY LITTLE ImageReady (nope, i didnt use photoshop for this one :)).

Some cool things about my site include, the "Loading..." script and the transparency on the loading screen, The nice menu on top and the position of the header image (it looks like the content and the top bar are place over it)

So go ahead and tell me what you think about the site and its design. ANY comments will be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

PS. if your browser doesn't support JavaScript, the loading screen will not go away. Please bear with me, I am trying to figure out a workaround for this :)

Edited by Paul (see edit history)

First of all, I would like to start off by saying that you have a great website right there. It looks professionally made by an experienced web designer. But even the most commendable site will have mistakes, so does yours. It has come to my attention that your site sometimes takes forever to load. It was great the first time, but eventually it became slow. Also, I didn't like the "whiting" out of the page when you click on a link so it would load. It made the website slower and less professional.

Edited by NovaTerra (see edit history)

I blame the speed problems entirely on Joomla! :) lol.

Actually, I disabled caching because I'm still developing the site. So now, I'm going to enabling caching (not yet, real soon) and there will be a change in loading speed.

I think I'll remove the Loading thing... it actually slows the site down.

It made the website slower and less unprofessional.

Did you mean "less professional"? Yes, I agree, the whiting out was a waste. People on my blog said the same

The site looks very well done and professional ... except from the beginning. There isn't any point in my opinion of having the Loading.. sign. I can see it's loading by looking at the progress meter in the status bar. All it does is degrade the quality and professionality of your site. As well as that it increases load times and makes your site unusable until it's fully loaded. It's especially annoying on dial-up. But as you said, you'll removed that so that's good :)

And unfortunately I can't review any more because of temporary Gateway Timeout errors....

well same as the above posts your loading thing and white out are not the least going to help you , also i would suggest you use a header with a design which represents web designing or wahtever your site offers instead of a irrelvent gree image , just my opinion :)

well i opened it once, then it broke :Sand by that, it loaded fine, then when i clicked a link it wasnt found.then when i clsoed the site and clicked ur psot link again it wasnt found :S . . . puzzeling lolEither way, not a bad site :)proffesional looking style. i liked the 100% width image at the top of the page and the site title tab lowered from it, . . nice touch :)the overlaying heading image and tabs are clean and simple too, no complaints B)Its also nice how the site doesn't look like a normal joomla template/site (if you know what i mean).not quite sure what you mean by "loading" thing, as i didnt see anythi nwhen i first laoded it.the white transparency didn't really impress me either. I'm guessing that stays there utnill the page is laoded right? if so possibly make it alot less transparent, with a center image saying loading . . . (if possible with the script u used)either way, not half bad site B)well done :)

Thanks for all the reviews! Seeing the complaints about speed and loading, I decided to enable caching. This should speed up the site a little.Also, I think that the main reason for all the slowness was the loading script. So I removed the loading script.Appreciate the help and comments!Regards,Paul

I also like t he design. the layout and the colrs used . Definately makes the site look very professional. As far as the links and some of the others tuff i really didnt check that out or click on anything.. but the overall design as said looks good.

Your site design looks very professional and well thought out. However, there is one major problem. As a web designer you should know that you need to test your site in every browser known to man, and this has obviously not been done. In every browser except Opera your site loads perfectly. However, in Opera I get the following:

Posted Image

This doesn't exactly bode well for a web developer. Once you get those bugs sorted out then your design will be perfect and viewable by all.

The colour scheme and shapes used are very aestheitically pleasing and are well used throughout the design.

In every browser except Opera your site loads perfectly

Really? I tested my site in Opera too. I used Operal 8.5 did you use an older version?

Here is an image of what the site looks like in Opera:

Posted Image

Thanks for the comments! :)

Cheers!

Edited by Paul (see edit history)

well i opened it once, then it broke :Sand by that, it loaded fine, then when i clicked a link it wasnt found.
then when i clsoed the site and clicked ur psot link again it wasnt found :S . . . puzzeling lol
Either way, not a bad site :)
proffesional looking style. i liked the 100% width image at the top of the page and the site title tab lowered from it, . . nice touch :)
the overlaying heading image and tabs are clean and simple too, no complaints :)

well done B)

I agree and that dodgy breaking thing happened to me too... got at the site once and couldn't get it to work at all after??? whats going on???
Anyhow I like the overlay and I would agree that the top image was maybe a bit random...?
I think the main problem is that failing thing... maybe look into it?

I am unable to find an error in the loading problem! It happened to me at first and then.. it stopped. But I thought that it was gone. Could it be the host?Any help on this would be appreciated!

ya it looks really professional, but there are some things you should note:1. There are some sections that have 0 listings in the directory, such as references->library.2. The sitemap isn't very useful. Try using a tree to describe the structure.Cheers

Yu have very good information about webdesign. I think it is a very organized site and very inforomative up front. The software covers large areas of interest. You should post your website under the coding section of this forum.