xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
-Forsaken-

Glossy Effect Tutorial [photoshop]

Heh, wow, i was so not expecting this. I was expecting something more like your avatar. But, yes, we gotta think about the new-comers of Photoshop.

I would say this effect will look only good on real metal objects I don't think you can gloss a cartoon image like that.

I beg to differ. I have used the method on quite a few renders and it creates a nice enhancement of the render. Here's an example, the first render without the effect, the second render with the effect.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Obviously you wouldn't use the effect on all renders, but with renders like this I think it works well.

I don't think you mean glossy I think you mean Shiny. SO it goes good, horrible, GREAT. I love this and it cleans up some dull 2d items and makes them look more realistic. I wish some computer games would do this. Nice job.

I don't think i've ever used this technique before but it seems pretty neat, im gonna have to try it later... Ill post an example of what I got after I try it out but I really don't feel like opening up photoshop lol.And by the way to the people that said this isnt a "glossy effect" If you have ever used high gloss paper in printing off pictures you will notice the similarities between the outcome of this effect and printing a picture off on high gloss paper... Im not saying that if you do this technique then try printing it off it will look like you printed it off on gloss paper because thats just not gonna happen but it will give the effect from the computer screen... Nice tutorial

Edited by TeeCee06 (see edit history)

How to add glow to a box?Glossy Effect Tutorial [photoshop]

Can anyone help me too? I tried doing this effect on a product image. Its looking great on these kind of images which have metallic look in it. But I want to add a realistic gloss on a box. This is a box of a medicine with lot of text. I need to add gloss to it so that everything remains clear and readable no matter how small I use the image (by small I mean 200x200 pxls) Its not working on it.. Is there any other way I can do?

Thanks in advance!

-reply by Sofi

@ lilemi

By Overlay blending mode he meant.

Go to Blending Options > 

Posted Image

then in blend mode drop down menu choose > Overlay instead of Normal

Posted Image I hope it helped.

haha dude thats pretty awesome, i never used it like this. Thanks a bunnch!