xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
amir691

Will Google Be The New Microsoft?

Google has become a huge success through these past years. They have grown from a simple company on the corner of the market to a leader in its industry. It keeps comming with new ideas that blows their competetion out of the water.This growth from Google is makeing Microsoft a little affraid. Though Microsoft is the leader of the computer world, it has not reached out to become a leader on the internet, like Google has. Now Google is the leader of the internet world, and also adapts itself to its users with programs and services that ignore what operating system its system is using. People these days are no using more and more online tools and services ever before. This will continue to grow with the popularity of mysql, php and ajax technologies.These reasons show whey Google could become the next Microsoft, because it adapts to its users and it current world, while the rest struggle to keep up.

It is good that google is making M$ feel uneasy. M$ has been lagging behind for quite a long time on email and search functions. While google still cannot compete with M$ on the software side. M$ also owns a very popular instant messanger, something that google wants to take over, but still not very successful. I would be glad if google can come up with their own OS, so that we will have alternatives to M$ products. But the edge of google does not seem to be here.

The question really should be does Google want to be the new Microsoft. Lets face it the core business model of each of the companies are still totally different Microsoft has its software, Google has its online services, granted Google are increasingly stepping off of the Internet and onto the desktop with its new software. From what I can see it would appear to be the other way around i.e. Will Microsoft be the New Google. Lets face it with Microsoft has been lagging in the online services and search (advertising too) areas (with the exception of MSN Messenger, even though I prefer Google Talk). It would now appear that Microsoft are developing a clear online services strategy, that will put it into more direct competition with Google, with Windows Live.This is a complex issue as both companies have their core areas (Microsoft have Windows and Google Have Search/Advertising) but the less core areas are beginning to blur as to where each company stands, and that will only get less clear as Google step into the Word Processing area with Writely and continue to build their software library with items such as Desktop and their 'recent' acquisition of SketchUp. While Microsoft continue to develop their online presence to a similar level of Google (although Gmail is still and will remain untouchable IMHO, and Google Calender looks to be the perfect compliment to Gmail).Overall I believe that Google will not (and do not want to) be the 'New Microsoft'. if anything I see Microsoft as continuing to (attempt) to become the New Google.

Google and Microsoft are two different things. Microsoft is the computer giant and Goodle the internet giant. I think that Microsoft has no intention of being an internet giant. A company can spread out to different arenas but you do want to spread out too much or you'll go broke. Microsoft would be smart just staying where it is as a computer giant. They ventured out to the xbox and did a great thing with it. I cant see google doing anything like Microsoft has done. I mean I hate to say it (as a apple fan) but Microsoft stole enough information to change computing forever. Google has not really changed the face of anything in my eyes. Nothing eye popping i mean.

Google has not really changed the face of anything in my eyes.

Then you're not looking properly. Google is controlling the information that the world receives. Increasingly, if a piece of info isn't on Google, it doesn't exist and that trend is growing stronger all the time. Experts predict that if things continue as they are, there will be no longer be any information that doesn't appear in Google's searches which means that Google will effectively control all knowledge available to mankind.

Google would probabby be as big as microsoft if they would continue what they are doing - FREE SERVICES. I hope they woul not ask any amount for their services and stuff.

Google will move forward in its field i.e. Internet. and Microsoft in its one i.e. Computer EssentialsGoogle has launched a very large number of programs to make things easy for the user. The brains behind this are great. They probe into the modern-day problems and preferences of people.Take an example of GMail. One main feature is that it has text advertisements and another one is its interface.The thing annoying in all type of Mail providers is their endless ads. Some will be of Flash Document Type and the others of High resolution JPEG Type. Their mailbox takes hours to load (especially if you are using a Dial-Up Internet Connection).GMail uses AJAX to hide all the loading-time display. After final loading is over, the whole page is displayed at once. If you are a GMail user, You must have seen a message like "Loading...". This message and the way it loads, its speed and many other features attract the user just for the reason that it is easy for the user to interact. Once a person uses GMail and becomes a bit experienced with it, he begins to get adjusted to it. Now, on a fine day, if he returns to his original (previous) mail-system, he will greatly be annoyed because of the delay caused by the advertisements shown by those mail providers.This is not a big deal. Anyone can do that but no-one except Google have done that. That creates the difference, a difference which results in making Google one step ahead of the other mail providers. Even this one step matters. Steps one after the other cover a long path and the other competitors will be too far behind to continue the competition and the one who leads will be the winner. In the mean time, if any other competitor wants to be in the race, he has to come up with something new and great. I have observed that Yahoo is trying to give Google a tough competition in the field of Mails. But Google enlarges its kingdom in many other fields. It has Google Adsense, Google Notebook, Google Mail with Chat, Google Desktop, Google Earth and lots more...Right at present, many people may be striving to make new innovative things for Google.This is the reason for its huge success.Google can?t be the next Microsoft UNLESS and UNTILL it steps down to Computer Essentials dealing and I don?t think Google have this in Mind.If Google comes in the Computer Essentials field, then it is a threat to Microsoft because Google have a very powerful Marketing background. It spreads news very fast! Such things may support Google but I don?t think Google will step into Computer Essentials.

I dont think that Google will be the new Microsoft because they dont have nearly enough profit to get that successful. Most of what Microsoft does and makes costs money, while many google features are free. I'll say that Google is as popular as Microsoft, but they will never be as successful as a business. Do you see what Im saying?

Well I think it can become even greater than microsoft, because of it's politics which are better than microsofts. It is the best at what its doing, but I think they are starting to have same issues as Microsoft has...they want to be everywhere (mail, calendar, messenger, ...). This is a sort of dissease of these big firms I think and eventhough ppl love things that already work the best way possible (like gmail), they want to expand and expand...in a way this is natural, but from the other point of view this is not good because I prefer small amount of things with good quality!!

It happens to all the really big companies - Wal Mart, Radio Shack, and Exxon - they all turn into fatcats at one point. It's not a matter of will they become the new microsoft, but a matter of when.

Well, Microsoft it?s like the devil in the multinational business... so I don?t know if Google could some day act so bad and get the same reputation, but if they don?t stop growing, things could turn black. You know, power corrupts.

Overall I believe that Google will not (and do not want to) be the 'New Microsoft'. if anything I see Microsoft as continuing to (attempt) to become the New Google.

I think you are absolutely right, the reason for it is that we see that Microsoft is now a days has started to follow the footsteps of Google Inc.
They have already made changes in the search abilities and are now jumping into adverstisement too...thorugh MSN ADCENTER. They are already trying to make LIVE.Com as their premier online service and no doubt they are putting lots of efforts in it.

Well, now the concept of WEB 2.0 is also becoming a threat to the local desktop, so most likely it will Microsoft who will need to change the way it works.

I dont think that Google will be the new Microsoft because they dont have nearly enough profit to get that successful. Most of what Microsoft does and makes costs money, while many google features are free. I'll say that Google is as popular as Microsoft, but they will never be as successful as a business. Do you see what Im saying?

Sounds like you don't really understand Google's business model then. Taken from here:

Microsoft has come to accept the bitter truth that Google is not like its other rivals that can be written-off. Google with a market capitalization of around $113 billion is growing at a rapid rate. The company dazed the Wall Street analysts with its first-quarter revenue of $2.25 billion, reflecting a 79% growth over the year-ago quarter. For the first quarter ended March 31, 2006, Google earned $592.3 million or $1.95 per share, compared to $369.2 million or $1.29 per share in the same period last year.
Google's stock has risen 110% in the past year and surged 430% from a mere $85 a share when it went public in August 2004. RBC Capital Markets analyst Jordan Rohan said the stock might reach $465 from an earlier prediction of $435 and Goldman Sachs analyst Anthony Noto is more optimistic and has a price target of $525.

In sharp contrast, Microsoft's stock price has barely budged since 2002. Microsoft, which reported its third quarter results for the period ended March 31, 2006 posted revenues of $10.9 billion, up 13% from a year earlier. Net income for the quarter was $2.98 billion or $0.29 a share, compared to $2.56 billion or $0.25 a share in the prior year.

Bill Gates fears Google more than any other company. No wonder, Microsoft's strategic conference for key executives held last year was titled "The Google Challenge."

Microsoft and Google are in different zones of buisness. Microsoft sells Operating Systems which is on about 95% of peoples computers. Now imagine if google does get bigger. Microsoft would still have an advantage. They provide the operating system. They could easily put a blow to google's applictations by changing the operating system a little bit and making there applications malfunction. And even then Apple would not be able to help very much as google's main programming is in microsoft's windows language. I actually see microsoft and google partnering in a way. If that happened Microsoft would get bigger and more powerful, but google would make a killing. If they partnered Microsoft could include some dumbed down applications from google in there OS and people would use and upgrade to a costly but better version. And Microsoft would benifit by putting there products on the worlds biggest internet solution. But, this is just my opinion and if you dont agree. Then you dont agree. Feel free to comment and say my idea is stupid or a positive comment.

they could. its very unlikely though possible. right now, google is sticking to the internet. they aren't doing anything that doesn't have to do with the internet. microsoft does everything. they have probably the most popular OS and web browser. they also own msn.com. google needs to make other things. then with lots of work, they might become as popular as microsoft.