xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Absolute

E-bay Phishing E-mail Still Out There Watch your privacy

This e-mail has been going around for a while now. I've recieved it about 5 times now. I thought e-bay would be on it like hawks but there really isn't much they can do about it. Just be aware of your personal information.

Subject: eBay Account Verification
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:38:39 -0700
Reply-To: accounts@ebay.com
To:

Dear eBay member,
As part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website, we are undertaking a period review of our member accounts.
You are requested to visit our site by following the link given below
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Please fill in the required information.
This is required for us to continue to offer you a safe and risk free environment to send and receive money online, and maintain the eBay Experience.
Thank you
Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright Š 1995-2003 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy .

Just remember that the company already has this information so there would be no reason for them to need it again. Before answering the e-mail go to the company itself and ask if the e-mail is official.

They probably want your personal information. I almost fell for it, but then I looked at the url and realize that it wasn't a real ebay site, so I didn't do it. I still get that mail from time to time

These days there are those emails that are masquerading themselves with reputed names like eBay, Paypal and others. Last week I too got such email in my Paypal account main email ID and you know they asked me to verify my account information all over again. And when I followed the link and open the new site it asked me even my credit card password. I had filled up everything and was about to send the information, all I need to fill up was the last one and it was the field to fill up my credit card password which even paypal don't ask. It looks suspicious here. And I immediately re-check my email and the link they had asked me to follow, in fact the link visible will be given paypal but the real link in the code is another site, starting with oxd something dot com. And when I check the url I was visiting it was not Paypal site. But design and everything was made to look like Paypal. I immediately visited Paypal site and log into my account where all the details of my personal information were actually there. And I searched the site and found the email to which complaint must be sent, it was spoof@paypal.com and I forwarded the email I received from them. I got reply from Paypal as well. They thanked me for reporting such email. Also while searching the google I found that one guy has lost about US $500 by filling up such form including his credit card password. And he was complaining that Paypal is BAD, they stole his money. But the fact is that there are many people trying to sneak into our personal information using those reputed companies. So, when you get such email check the real link in the code. You could right-click the link and see the properties. The real link may be different. And if you find that the real link and text link are different report immediately to the concern company, in your case eBay. And never enter your credit card password or email password anywhere.