xisto Community
BWiZ

Linux Or Unix Witch one is your fav

The differences between Linux and other Unix (based) operating systems is barely noticable to the average user. I myself use freebsd which is a unix platform and gentoo which is is a linux distro.

The commands might be located in slightly different places or may have different sets of arguments but the functionallity is thesame. With the GNU tools available for most platforms nowdays even these differences vanish. Most of the differences are located in the kernel design and the systems administration tools but overall they perform the same and both are very stable :)

Both are into my favorite list I like Freebsd and Gentoo the most of all

Beside those I also used, debian, slackware, mandrake, suse, arch, knoppix and openbsd befor I found the one i liked best :D

I didint know that that for sharing it with me. I allways tought Linux was more stable and more powerful. I like freebsd also. I run a Ircd on my Linux and its stable! So i just started loving linux lol :)

Linux Is Not UniX

thats where the name comes from. Unix is older, much older than Linux so you can't really say Linux is more stable. FreeBSD is probably one of the most stable systems out there and a favorite of corporate servers.

But I could never get used to the small differences between the two and always ended up using Linux.

edit: ah you mention gentoo pbrugge, now that is an impressive distro!

well Linux or Unix doesn't matter to me, I'd use either one if i would have to choose from these TWO. personally i Like windows 2003 server, good thing in windows server is that u can run asp and jsp. which I believe u can't use on Linux. RIte?? :(

alperuzi wrote:

Linux Is Not UniX

thats where the name comes from. Unix is older, much older than Linux so you can't really say Linux is more stable. FreeBSD is probably one of the most stable systems out there and a favorite of corporate servers.

But I could never get used to the small differences between the two and always ended up using Linux.

edit: ah you mention gentoo pbrugge, now that is an impressive distro!

Actually, according to Rebel Code, Linux was a mishap made

from Linus Torvald's name. Alperuzi, I think you're talking about GNU

-originally stood for GNU's Not Unix.

Unix is probably more stable but Linux has a lot more device drivers

and the like. The command line is almost identical. But personally

I like Linux better, Gentoo all the way. :(

alperuzi wrote:

Actually, according to Rebel Code, Linux was a mishap made

from Linus Torvald's name. Alperuzi, I think you're talking about GNU

-originally stood for GNU's Not Unix.

Unix is probably more stable but Linux has a lot more device drivers

and the like. The command line is almost identical. But personally

I like Linux better, Gentoo all the way. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree wid u osknockout , Unix is more stable then Linux. Its easier to break down into the Linux. :)

I Think Linux Is Very NiceI dont Like To Work With UnixSome body Thinks Linux is Unix But Its Not TrueI Think And I Saw Working With Unix Is Very HardIs It True ?

Can anyone tell me where to get linux ANY VERSION ECEPT DEBIAN! and how to install it thx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/ it has many of the most popular distros and all you need to do is download the iso's and burn them using nero or your favorite burning rom. Then just reboot and follow the instructions after it loads off the cd.

**Note, dont try gentoo or anything advances if your a linux newbie, i'd say go with Mandrake or Fedora Core.

I've used a few different linux distros but not unix, is plain vanilla unix still used in business?

why would anyone use unix over linux, I can't find any free unix's?

I don't think linux stands for 'linux is not unix', think it is a combination of Linus and Unix
Linux inspired by unix but written entirely from scratch, no unix code

http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix/flavors_of_unix.html seems to have some interesting information on unix