xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SolarX

My Own Subdomain At Trap17?

Hi,

when I sign up for the free hosting service I can choose between a Xisto subdomain and my own domain.

I already have a domain and I want to assign a subdomain from my domain to my Trap 17 account. Is that possible?

you mean you want to have your domain be retained where it is currently used, and simply use a subdomain of that to point to your Xisto hosting?

that could work via a redirect from your subdomain to the Xisto subdomain you will request here when you become eligible for hosting. only, your visitors will be able to view yoursubdomain.trap17.com in the browser as the URL after redirection.

I think what he means is if he uses his domain instead of the Xisto subdomain, could he add subdomains to that. If that is the question you have then yes you can do that. So if you use the subdomain "monkey.com" you can add a subdomain for your forums to make it "forum.monkey.com" and you can have seperate FTP settings for that subdomain so if you are giving some space to a friend they can access that folder and that folder only so they can have their own little site but of course you would still be able to access it.

I think what he means is if he uses his domain instead of the Xisto subdomain, could he add subdomains to that. If that is the question you have then yes you can do that. So if you use the subdomain "monkey.com" you can add a subdomain for your forums to make it "forum.monkey.com" and you can have seperate FTP settings for that subdomain so if you are giving some space to a friend they can access that folder and that folder only so they can have their own little site but of course you would still be able to access it.

this will work only if SolarX decides to move his domain with Xisto. this will entail changing the nameservers of his domain to that of Xisto. however, as i understand from the little info he provided so far, he has an existing domain, and just wants a subdomain of it to be assigned to his Xisto hosting space. if he decides to change the nameservers, he will have to migrate his existing site contents to Xisto -- but that would mean assigning the whole domain to Xisto, not just a subdomain of it.

At first thanks to you both!serverph you are right, this is exactly what I want to do. I already thougt of just redirecting my subdomain to the Xisto subdomain. But after redirecting, you will see the Xisto subdomain in the adress bar of the browser instead of the orginal subdomain.Is there any way to redirect to the Xisto Domain without showing the Xisto Subdomain?It's just because I want to have consistend Domain names.

SolarX,You can park your domain to your Xisto sub-domain or you can change the domain name process to have your hosting account tied to your domain--both of which are completely up to you.When you park your domain it will not cost you anything. When you change your hosting's domain name, it will cost you 15 credits. Either way don't forget to change your nameserver of your domain control.This topic probably was resolved due to the topic date. PM any moderator for follow up question or add to this thread.