xisto Community
Oxford

Passwords That Should Never Be Used How to create strong passwords and hacksafe passwords

:)

Strong passwords are your first step in securing your systems. If a password can be easily guessed or compromised using a simple dictionary attack, your systems will be vulnerable to hackers, worms, Trojans, and viruses.
Trojan, virus, and worm authors have had great success attacking systems with weak and/or default passwords. Take IRC/Flood Trojan for example. McAfee’s virus profile states that IRC/Flood has over 120 variants and has infected over 60,000 machines in the last 30 days. IRC/Flood succeeds by checking for 22 different different easy to guess admin passwords (variants vary). Unfortunately, there are a lot more where IRC/Flood came from, W32/Tzet.worm, W32/Random.worm, and W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen are in the wild just to name three.

Hackers also have no problem compromising systems with weak passwords. Programs like L0pthCrack for example make the process simple and efficient. Creating a password-cracking dictionary is not even a challenge. Type the words "Creating Password Cracking Dictionaries", without the quotes, in to your favorite search engine. A comprehensive dictionary can be downloaded or created from scratch in short order.

Below is a list of commonly used weak passwords that should NEVER be used. If any of these passwords look hauntingly familiar and are being used, you need to change the password immediately.

PCLinuxOnline has a great article:

Link:
Full Article

hope this could help u from now on to choose better passwords

:) Have a nice day!

Notice from KuBi:
Copied from AntiOnline.com .

I totally agree with this idea but isn't it understood? Most of the webmasters would know this much, atleast. Last time I visited a friend of mine and when he was logging on to his hotmail ID he was typing his password for a long time and I asked him what was he doing. He told me that he was typing his password consisting of alphabets and numbers that made up to 70 characters. It was one of the longest password I've ever heard of. And you know what he said, his email ID has the safest password.

You could easily use a phrase as a password, and to include numbers in it, use any number as a space (like "this0is0the0safest0password0in0the0world0hurray"). This yaw you wouldn't forget it. Of course you could use a gigantic phrase but I don't know if that is even possible to store in the passwords database..Other type of password that can be used is the "numb3r5_4nd_l3773rs" type.Or you can even type a backwards phrase, so the dictionaries wouldn't be able to guess them (like "nac uoy fi em kcah ot yrt"):)

More importantly than typing in common passwords, is the concept of default passwords. For example, how many wireless products come with default passwords where the owner is too stupid to think to change it. Now people are being arrested for connecting to wireless networks, but I think the fault should be placed on the people who aren't securing those networks in the first place, the product makers.

it is a good idea all of you gave above.a security password must include number ,letter and symbol...certainly capitalization aslo need not lack.however,it is not a perfection.there is a good way to protect your password.the order of your typing them...you can type the latter part with keyboard then use mouse to input the fore part to avoid some spy software.

i use an alphanumeric combination for my passwords. i tried to open a friend's account using his favorite artist's name and it worked. i told him at once about that, and asked him to change his password immediately or else I would hack his accounts. hehehe he changed the passwords to all of his accounts. some people are so vulnerable to hacking because they use simple words as passwords.

You could easily use a phrase as a password, and to include numbers in it, use any number as a space (like "this0is0the0safest0password0in0the0world0hurray"). This yaw you wouldn't forget it. Of course you could use a gigantic phrase but I don't know if that is even possible to store in the passwords database..

Other type of password that can be used is the "numb3r5_4nd_l3773rs" type.

Or you can even type a backwards phrase, so the dictionaries wouldn't be able to guess them (like "nac uoy fi em kcah ot yrt"):)

They arn't the best examples of passwords that you should use...

You need Special characters like: @~{}]['#/()*"$%"^!

Lowercase Letters like: abcdefghi

Uppercase Letters like: ABCDEFGHI

Numbers like: 01234567

All this will create the best password for example:

L@tS0fcH4r5_|v|4kE490oDPA5Svv0rD^Ł

Hey i believe a password shouldnt be too much of alphnumeric kind. I mean if you keep a password likeigotcha7kidzor anything like that which would be easy to remmemberi also suggest to change case likeJiBizMAname4mei can be easy remmembered as it mean Jib is my name for me.

Haha! I checked all my paswords, and I have safe passwords. Not even one was in there. Which is cool. Thanks for the find there. I think this article needs to get out more so people can see why they are getting their accounts hacked into. I am surprised at some they had though, I would never of guessed a lot of those, not that I have ever tried getting into someone's account either. :rolleyes: Oh well. Hey thanks!

Remember the movie "Hackers?"What were the Plague's four most commonly used passwords?Love, Sex, Secret, and God!LOLI like the idea of using a phrase. Now if I could just think of one! (Hmmm,,,, "The Rain In Spain..." "FourScoreAndSeven..." "BeamMeUpScotty") ROFL....//Captain.Jerry/

the most secure as a password you can get is using a variety of different types of characters (symbols as well if possible) and different cases.

the germans in WW2 thought they had an unbreakable coding machine - the enigma. but the allies cracked the code by fidning out the password was 1234! (or somethign similar like qwerty).that's a lesson to keep in mind as it pretty much cost the germans the war.